One-Footing Tutorial

Riding One-Footed

Ok, this guide starts off assuming that you have absolutely no idea what you’re doing when you try to ride one footed. Hopefully, if you follow these steps, (with practice), you’ll be able to ride one-footed.

From here on, the foot that will not be pedaling, and resting on the crown, will be Foot 1, and the other one will be Foot 2

Stalling one-footed

One of the major things that helped me when I learned was to learn how to “pull” the back pedal while riding. This is usually a fairly big problem when learning, because if you don’t have enough momentum, and can’t pull the pedal, you’ll stall, and then fall off.

The best way to do this, is to find a mailbox, or something else about shoulder-level to hold onto. Your feet should be in the horizontal stall position, with Foot 1 on the front, and the outside, like this:

While supporting most of your weight on the mailbox, move Foot 1 up it’s resting position on the fork. Make sure to get comfortable resting the balls of your feet on the fork, and not the arches. This ensures that your feet won’t rub against the tire while riding.

Next, when you’re comfortable with that position, slowly transfer your weight back to the seat, and use Foot 2 to pull the back pedal up towards you. Do this by bending your foot forward (so your toe is pointed towards the ground), and using your ankle and your calf strength to pull the pedal in the direction shown.

Due to gravity, and your weight on the pedal, right now all it will probably do is keep the pedals horizontal, but while you’re riding, being able to pull the pedal up like that while slowing down can save you from a UPD.

Now, go practice doing that. When you get good at doing that with the mailbox, try doing it while riding. Ride a little bit, then stall, snap your foot up, put it back on the pedal, and then ride away again. The only tip I can offer here is practice, practice, practice.

Riding One-Footed

Now, what I’m about to tell you might seem a little backwards, but it’s how I learned, and it worked great for me.

When you finally try to start riding one footed, don’t do it with your foot on the crown. Start off this way instead…as you’re riding along the street, just take Foot 1 off, let the wheel go one revolution, then let your foot meet back up with the pedal….don’t bother trying to put it on the fork, just let it go one rev. This helps you get used to the feeling of just having one foot pedaling the unicycle.

When you get to the point where you can do both of those skills (stalling with Foot 1 on the fork, and riding one revolution one-footed) fairly well, it becomes time to put them together. You’re going to want to snap Foot 1 up to the fork as the pedal Foot 1 is on approaches the top, as shown here:

After you master doing one revolution, all that’s standing between you and riding one footed proficiently is lots of practice.

Good luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions.

Awesome! Anywhere else to put your foot on if you don’t have a flat fork?

Well if you don’t have a flat crown then one-footing is a little more difficult, but you’d put it in the same place.

Unless you can ride cross-legged or something, it’ll be really hard to ride…you’ll need a flat fork to do a whole lot of freestyle stuff.

OK…Thanks, well I didn’t think of that when I bought my uni about 8 months ago in November, I still had no idea what people did on unis, the concept of extreme unicycling, how expensive unis could be cheap, all that stuff…well, when I get that right I can ask for a new uni or frame…I guess.

this guid e lloks really good since I haven’t learned this yet. are there more to come?

if you dont have flat crown then buy a unicycle with one. I would NEVER buy one with a rounded crown, because then i could do hardly any of my tricks :stuck_out_tongue:

I can’t do much…I might consider doing a SIF hopping/riding tutorial if it’s needed…

Even though my uni has a flat crown, I usually just take my foot off and put it behind me at a 90 degree angle, since I have my seat pretty low so it’s easier to hop, and it’s hard to get my foot on the crown. But then again, I can only get one rev in before I stall and have the uni shoot out from under me!

That would be helpful. I always wobble too much when I try to ride SIF. it makes 180 unispins hard.

It’s much better to strain and get used to putting your foot on the crown…riding with it off makes you all wobbly, because the weight distribution keeps changing.

I enjoy riding with my foot not on the frame, cause then I can flail it all around me, to the fornt of the uni, out to the side, to the back, its pretty fun.

Ryan atkins made one about hopping. I havent seen one that is really about riding though.

Sounds like it! I might try that some day as soon as I get good enough at 1-ftd. to move my foot around. :slight_smile:

Yes! I got ten revs in thursday. That really helped monkeyman. The best I can get is 14. It is a lot easeir with your foot on the crown.

Good job…after that, you know you can do it…you just have to practice more and more.

Bumped for the lazy bums.

:frowning: sniff im a lazy bum

but thanks the tutorial seems great, im going to try it out tommorrow

i see alot of people like to rest there free foot on top of the crown, but i do not,just feels weired, i just like to dangle it off to the side. is that consider “unstylish” or “noobish”? cause if so, im still gonna do it who cares!

Do whatever you want!
I find it easier to ride with it on the frame, so that’s what i do.
When i was learning and i could only do under 8 revs i used to just stick my leg out in front of me, which made it easier to fall on my feet if i overbalanced.

That’s considered more difficult.