Getting through the skill levels

A lot of this I can’t really do yet, but I have attempted. So, here goes. Skill levels with tips.

Level 1:

Mount unicycle unassisted:
This one’s a common problem, put the pedals vertical with your leading foot up and give the unicycle a quarter turn backward, while putting your other foot on your other pedal. Now…ride. Here’s a list of mounts.
Ride 50 metres:
Why do I even bother, this one can be found at any website…If you’re reading this you’re either bored, learning or know how to do it.
Dismount gracefully with unicycle in front

Level 2:
Mount with both feet
Comes with practice.
Ride 10 metres(32’ 6") between 2 parallel lines 30 cm.(1’) apart
More practice, more links.
Ride in a figure 8 with circle diametres smaller than 3 metres.
Practice, lean in a bit. If you can do a figure 8 in your driveway, you can do this. One lane in an average U.S. highway is about 8 ft. 8 inches. 3 metres are 9 inch 9 inches.
Ride down a 15 cm.(6 inch) vertical drop
You can hop off. See level 3. :stuck_out_tongue: Also, you’re not going to get hurt.
Do sharp 90 degree turns
Practice. This one’s fairly easy. If you can do the figure 8, you can do this. Different people need different tips…Practice on 1 or 2 inches of sand(more slippery) or pour some water on the floor. Don’t do both.

Level 3:
3 mounts
There’s a list of mounts above.
Ride a figure 8 1.5 meters, circle diameter.
Like in level 2, keep at it! Go for your younger brothers sandbox/kiddie pool! I’m kidding, but this way you can get the hang of it. So if he/she doesn’t mind… Make sure you don’t do this on your best unicycle.
Come to stop, pedal half a revolution backward and continue forward
This helps for when you’re going to idle. Perhaphs lean back a bit before doing the half revolution backwards, then pretend you never did it.
Ride with the stomach on the seat for 10 m.
Wear a helmet. This is almost completely pointless, but helps when you are going to ride seat in front(S.I.F.).
Make a sharp 180 degree turn to the left
Make a sharp 180 degree turn to the right
Relax, you’ve got a square m. to do this. Make sure you’re going in a straight line before and after entering the square.
Hop 5 times
Here’s a link.
Ride over a 10 X 10 cm obstacle
Get a little better at hopping. Just 4 inches. Again, keep your cool, relax.

Level 4:
Demonstrate 4 types of mounts
Ride backward for 10 m
Often people are afraid to go backwards because they don’t know what’s behind them, walk backwards, jog backwards, run backwards. Or just take a mirror and look at it. Don’t do this with an espensive mirror. Practice idling, it will lead to practicing riding backwards, and that will lead to practice idling…and so on.
Ride one footed for 10 m
You need momentum, try putting no weight on one foot. The trick here, without the momentum, is that when the pedals are even you have to do some type of pull, but I prefer to push down enough to not have to pull. This is possibly the trick with the most variations of tips, other than plain riding. This one generetes a new thread every week/month, etc. Here’s the one that’s possibly considered the most helpful.
Idle with left foot down 25 times
Idle with right foot down 25 times
This one’s another forum waster, because of all the threads…Well, ride backwards, go from half-turn idles to smaller idles. Misspell “idling” in the search box.

I’m going to continue this later, but I’ll finish it. By tomorrow. I hope.

the skill levels are not what you call well put together.
i learned a level 10 trick when i was level 4, its insane.
i doubt correct levels could even be written.

That’s awesome, I can hop-twist the 90 degrees and I’m a level 2…I’m getting a Torker(I think) for my birthday! Thank you, Unicyclopedia(actually, its editors)!!! :slight_smile:

Ride with the seat out in back for 10 m
Get good in SIF enough to not depend so much on the seat, if you have time, lots of time, you can even learn seat drag before this! Not a lot of people actually do SIB just 'cause, they just do it to officially pass the levels, and then they stay level 7 because they don’t learn hand WW(wheelwalk)…Anyways, here’s the rest of this
Make a sharp 360 degree turn the left
Make a sharp 360 degree turn the right
This one a little harder…do level 4 on a water squirting unicycle! Or just take enough time to practice…
Level 5
Demonstrate 5 types of mounts
Ride backward in a circle
Ride one footed in a figure eight
If you can ride a figure 8, and you can ride one footed…Don’t depend on the slant for this one, though.
Idle one footed with left foot down 25 times
Idle one footed with right foot down 25 times
Again, from the bigger to the smaller idles.
Ride with the seat out in front in a circle
Ride with the seat out in back in a circle
Ride with the seat on the side in a circle
You know all this…
Hop-twist 90 degrees to the left
Hop-twist 90 degrees to the right
If I can do this, so can you, so, the secret here is to just hop…and twist… :thinking: You get me…I hope.
Walk the wheel for 10 m
Concentrate on staying on top of your unicycle, rather than keeping it under you, maybe it’s just a little stubborn sometimes. If you’re afraid to lean back, take some time, because, like in bormal riding, the lean will come naturally. And act like a ww-ing zombie! Steal all the toilet paper to keep your baggy pants from getting stuck in the seat! OK, maybe not the toilet paper…

Level 6
Demonstrate 6 types of mounts
Ride backward in a figure 8
Ride with the seat out in front in a figure eight
Ride with the seat out in back in a figure eight
You know all this.
Ride backward with the seat out in front for 10 m
Do I need to explain?
Ride with seat on the side in a circle to the left
Ride with seat on the side in a circle to the right
Ride one footed with the left foot for 10 m
Ride one footed with the right foot for 10 m
Backspin
Frontspin
Spin
I know nothing about spins, perhaphs one of the few tricks I have not attempted. So I’ll supplied links.
Hop standing on wheel 5 times
Guts. Otherwise easy.

Level 7
Demonstrate 7 types of mounts
Ride backward with seat out in front in a circle
Ride one footed with left foot in a circle
Ride one footed with right foot in a circle
Walk the wheel in a circle
Walk the wheel one footed for 10 m
Well, don’t wear anti-skid shoes. You want to do tiny bits of gliding in between, or coasting. I guess you know what you want to do. See gliding, level 8.
Hop-twist 180 degrees to the left
Hop-twist 180 degrees to the right
Ride backward with the seat out in back for 10 m
Spin the left
Spin to the right
Level 8
Demonstrate 8 types of mounts
Ride one footed with the left foot in a figure 8
Ride one footed with the right foot in a figure 8
Walk the wheel in a figure eight
Walk the wheel one footed in a circle
Ride backward one footed for 10 m
Glide for 10 m (no feet on the pedals, you can use a foot on the surface of the tire as a brake.)
There’s a BIG difference between gliding and coasting. In gliding, you apply pressure to the wheel with one foot, (you should have gotten rid of your Anti-skid shoes by now) and push yourself. You should learn on a slant, but not become dependent on it. And the most used word in the tutorials in this forums…PRACTICE.
Hand wheel walk for 10 m
A lot of level 7’s don’t bother learning this, how are they going to use it? Well, how are they going to use wheelwalking? :stuck_out_tongue: Well, try to touch your toes. If you can almost get there without pain or bending your knees, you’re flexible enough to just get into the gliding position, bend down, and do it. If not, then you can do this the Superman way. Get in the riding stomach on seat position, get your feet off the pedals(you did remember your helmet, right? And you didn’t eat now?) and…well…do it.
Pirouette
Grab your freestyle unicycle, or just one that won’t skid, and go to the hardwood basketball court(I have one nearby, but it’s not hardwood, and not slippery at all) and make sure the owner doesn’t mind what you’re doing. Spin around in tight circles and then you’ll get to a point you don’t have to pedal and the unicycle will spin around! You’ll know. Practice a bit and learn how to get out of it.
Backward spin

Level 9
Demonstrate 9 types of mounts
Walk the wheel one footed in a figure 8
Ride backward one footed in a circle
Ride backward with the seat out in front in figure 8
Ride backward with the seat out in back in a circle
Walk the wheel one footed with left foot for 10 m
Walk the wheel one footed with right foot for 10 m
Walk the wheel backward for 10 m
Resist the temptation to lean forward.
Drag seat in front 10 m
Drag seat in back for 10 m
I wonder what’s the difference? Maybe it’s in picking up the seat… Get real good at SIF and then let it drop. Don’t forget your shin guards!
Ride backward one footed with the left foot 10 m
Ride backward one footed with the right foot 10 m
All I can say is the pull is easier than when going forward…
Ride one footed with the seat out in front for 10 m
Discreetly put weight on the seat.
Backward pirouette

Level 10
Demonstrate 10 types of mounts
Ride backward with seat out in back in a figure 8
Ride backward one footed in a figure 8
Walk the wheel one footed with left foot in circle
Walk the wheel one footed with right foot in circle
Walk the wheel backward in a circle
180 uni spin
This last one just takes guts.
Sideways wheel walk for 10 m
Coast for 10 m
No pressure on the wheel, don’t risk putting your foot out with your examinor(sp?).
Side ride for 10 m
This is simply putting your foot on the uncorrespondent pedal, the trick is to put weight on the seat…discreetly.
Walk the wheel one footed backward for 10 m

Uh…That’s about it. Hey, someone should consider makig the 10 skill levels of street official! :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley: :sunglasses: Any more advice, don’t hesistate to ask or give it.