The Triton's competition

sorry guess i missed that:o

ok… i don’t really like any of the designs… is it just me?

eh
i’ve got a sketch up of a frame with quick release bearing clamps that will work.
it’s a different style of frame, but i don’t really want to give it out because i might get a custom made unicycle frame for really cheap (whatever metal i choose), and if it’s my frame and nobody else has it … :slight_smile:

on second thought, i’ll send chris my plans, but no using the bearing clamps!!!

I’m coming up with a better design, one that includes a truss, which is a common feature in architecture, I believe the simplicity and lightweight properties of trusses could be applied to this frame.

It will be a pretty intricate drawing, so I’d like to know if it’d even be considered before I spend a lot of time working on it.

Haha I’ve been waiting for a few days now thinking you would send them:)

I appreciate the thought, but a titanium trussed frame for unicyclying seems a little to intricate and I doubt it would justify the work going into it. Unless of course your willing to pay more $$$$

quick release bearing holders.

hm… the ones i drew up are similiar to that, but should be much stronger and more practical with the clamp device i have set up.

Is Mister Jim Rob Outta his mind? Post #11 " Profile Hub with 190mm cranks "

Mabe he wants alot of torque for uphill climbing and such.

Think about how much easier it would be to climb a huge hill on a 29er if you have big cranks like that. there may be another reason for 190mm idk

Edit: Post 21: he has long legs

emailing it now… well a quick sketch in illustrator…

Roger boss! No trusses it is!

Still can’t wait for this frame, I know I’ll never get a discount but (granted my soon-to-be car doesn’t cost too much to repair) I’m pumped to be able to get a titanium frame, it’ll match the plates in my arm and leg, and the huge rod screwed in my tibia!

also the old plate they took out that I made into a necklace!

If its Titanium I rather doubt he can get it for under 400, no matter how good friends he is with the welder, if its any less I wouldn’t even trust it.

would it be cheaper to use a titanium/aluminium alloy, like they use on planes.
Its light and strong, but I don’t know about the price.

under 400?

The triton was $350 i thought… Good guestimation.

Triton was $445 without shipping.

umm… With*

And, Holy Sh*t on that one. I want the frame to be like 300 or so, even less.

How are you calculating your cost for a Titanium frame? What quantities are you assuming for price points? Where are your sourcing your materials, and how much have you included for labor? Do you assume manual or automated assembly?

…or did you pull that number out of your arse?

Guys please don’t start throwing prices around. It makes me nervous enough as it is that we might not be able to have a decent price on them. Most of it is going to come down to whether or not we can get the bearing holders machined for a good price, and what kind of deal we get on the titanium.

Like I said, were not in this to make a ton of money. The main point in doing this was to help my buddy out with some work and possibly score a frame. I never thought this would blow up so quick but I’m glad it did. I’ve been super busy with racing and what not so I haven’t had the time to meet up with him yet. I’ll let you guys know right away when I get some more details.

Well, the sponge frames were about $450, and made in a country with cheaper labour, and relatively local access to materials, by a company that has access to the materials in large quantities due to making bike frames out of it. So that might be a possible minimum cost.

Also, given titanium is harder to weld and more expensive than steel, you can maybe expect a price somewhere around the price of the original hand-built KH frames as a minimum, which were something like $500 each.

Joe

I emailed some ideas to unislab earlier and he really seemed to like them. The only problem I had was that I used rectangular tubing on the crown which he said might not look cool. The good news is the design is unique, simple and really strong. Also I drew up some tweaked designs with round tubing on the crown which would look better and would possibly be stronger.
So the main idea is to have one piece of round tubing that runs across the length of the crown that is slightly larger than the seat tube. This way you can run the seat tube through both sides of the tube for the crown and the seat tube would be welded on the top and bottom which would result in a super strong seat tube.
Then the ends of the crown tube would be cut to hug around the sides of the frame legs and would be welded that way which would be very solid.
Then the tops of the crown legs would be rounded off and then a plate would be welded on that which would be pretty much like the tritons rounded off part.
Then in between the bottom of the crown and the fork lef there would be a KH style reinforcement.
Thats the main jist of it hope ou like it!
PS I threw in bearing holders pretty much a copy of tritons since they’d be cheap to machine.

Stephen:D

frame tweak.bmp (883 KB)

frame idea 2 tweak.bmp (930 KB)

frame idea 3 tweak.bmp (930 KB)

bearing holder.bmp (930 KB)