36" Triton Sponge

From what I have read, all the Deng cranks wobble after a whileā€¦ their ISIS splines are crap?

There are other brands apart from Dengā€™s that produce their stuff in China.

I currently run Dengā€™s Echo cranks on my mod bike. They donā€™t wobble :slight_smile:
They all become wobbling one day, yeah :slight_smile:

If I could do it in titanium, I would do it same day for myself :slight_smile:

Would you be able to make a completely flat crown? Like for street and falt riding?

how much are these Ti frames anyway?

The 19" frame + shipping is $445.
The bigger the frame is the more material is used and the more money one would have to pay :slight_smile:

36" frame with shipping to US is $520

2Bob: what do you mean by flat crown? A pic would be great.

I think he means a crown like the black domina koxx-one unicycle has.

http://www.espacejongle.com/boutique/images/blackdomina[1].jpg

We had actually made one of these back in the days.

But we have introduced Triton Sponge design because it is different and strong.

Do you use that flat crown design? I mean if there is a practical need for such a shape, then we could make something like thatā€¦

here is another picture.

I think that that crown design is really nice for flat stuff, but I donā€™t know how it would compare to a semi crown on the spongeā€™s.

I done really do many corwn tricks now, but I think a few others would like a crown like that. I am not going to be getting one of these frames anytime soon if ever, it was justa question.

Right I got you.
When there is an order from a flat rider, we are sure to find the best suiting design.
We can make something semi-Sponge semi-flat :slight_smile:

Somithing with the sponge design but with some knurling might be pretty good.

Regarding the flat crown, as seen on the Domina. That was my original design I gave to Triton, and it was rejected pretty much straight away by the engineer because the 45 degree angle at which the thin 1mm titanium tubing is joined is not too strong in comparison to what we have on the current Sponge frame.

So some may ask, then why does it work well for aluminium frames like the KH or Domina? Well, for one, the aluminium tubing is thicker than the titanium tubing featured on the Triton frames because aluminium has to be used thicker if we want any sort of decent stiffness in a frame. So aluminium tubes can be around 2.5mm thick compared to the 1mm thick titanium tubes, and the thicker the tubing, the easier it is to weld (from what Iā€™ve been told) in these kinds of awkward positions like the 45 degree join of the crown and legs on the Domina crowns. So yeah, that would have been the original design, but that got scrapped and we moved onto the MUCH stronger current semi-flat design we have here.

The whole point of the semi-flat design is that you donā€™t bash your legs and knees during botched sidehops much like the purpose of the XTP crown, but also allows you space to do foot-on-crown tricks like gliding and donkey kicks. Regarding knurlingā€¦ that would be really hard for titanium and would add to the cost tremendously Iā€™d imagineā€¦ do what one of my testers did and get hold of some sort of griptape and cut a bit out and stick it on the crown pieces. I donā€™t necessarily mean normal black skating griptapeā€¦ you can get devilishly grippy tape that has a similar texture to chunky sugar grains mixed together in water itā€™s the kind of stuff people use to stick down on glass or marble floors or lips of steps to provide grip. The explanation is weird, but Iā€™ll get a pic of this as soon as I can. This stuff stays grippy in the pouring rain too, so itā€™s a bit better than normal skating griptape. But yeah, knurling isnā€™t worth it to be honest as even KH knurled crowns slip like hell in the wet in comparison to grippier surfaces like griptape or similar.

Oh, also to answer that, Krisztian Kovacs (sorry if Iā€™ve misspelt!) from Budapest and current European Street/Flat Champion has been having a dabble on one of the Triton Sponges when one of the testers went over to Hungary recently. From what Iā€™ve been told, Krisz loves the Triton for street riding and tricks, and also really enjoys flatland on it. So if itā€™s good enough for him, itā€™s good enough for anyone riding street really. To be honest what flatland tricks would you need a flat crown for?:

gliding/coasting/1ft wheelwalking, donkey kicks, not all that much else? Iā€™ve seen people shred with rolling wraps and wrap walks and all sorts of other flatland tricks without needing a flat crown. Iā€™ve seen someone on an XTP shred on street and flat even, just with fewer glides or donkey kicks.

But yes, we purposefully evaded the flat-crown design before for reasons of strength. ā€œThe Tiā€ uni that I use now (the same one Zack uses in Defect) is a titanium flat-crowned frame and that cracked once or twice in the hands of Dan Heatonā€¦ proving that the flat crown join and design in general is not suited to thin 1mm titanium tubing.

Iā€™m more than confident that the current semi-flat crown is a great ā€œhappy-mediumā€ for trials riders who love their sidehops and street/flat riders who like to glide and donkey kick. Itā€™s already been tested and proven by some of the best riders in the world. :slight_smile:

Seriously interested.

Hi folks, I am new here on this board and I registered specifically to participate in the discussion concerning this Ti unicycle frame.

I love Ti bicycles and have a Matt Chester titanium singlespeed bicycle as my main ride. The fork on that bike is made by Rick Hunter or Hunter Cycles fame.

Seeing the work that Rick did on my fork and stem on my bicycle, I became very motivated to order a unicycle from him. I received it a few weeks ago after ordering it just before he went on the Great Divide race in June. It is a 700c/29" with Magura mounts. I am gathering parts for it and hope to build it up soon.

As for the Triton Sponge 36" uni, I am very interested in ordering one early next month or later this month. Gazza and/or sponge, could you please let me know what specific email address to use for contacting you about your products? Unfortunately I have limited time for reding/browsing the discussion board yet I would like to be in contact with you about an order.

Thanks everyone on this board, I have learned a ton by reading all the discussion here.

Chris in Davis, California

So, pics?

Where would you buy this griptape from?

I know that hardware stores carries it here. Have a look at one of those. :slight_smile:

So as not to make a new thread, has anyone ordered and received a Triton 36" frame yet?

Iā€™m (maybe) looking to upgrade from my heavy Radial 360 before RTL and Perry (capuni) suggested that a TI 36" frame would be incredible.

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦the Ti Triton stuff looks really awesome, but if you are simply upgrading your frame for weight purposes it probably isnā€™t worth the cost.

I have been using the standard coker frame for a couple years and it has been great.

The main improvements you could make are getting the new nimbus rim and tire, and maybe using a non super wide hub (the regular wide hub) with SS spokes. I am running a std coker frame, wheel ta, airfoil rim, and the 12g coker spokes on a super wide hub. If I were going to be making upgrades before RTL I would be getting the new tire, keeping the airfoil I have, getting a standard width hub and building it with the SS 14g spokes.

A 36" Ti custom frame would be nice ifā€¦

you wanted to fit it to an isis hub
you wanted to fit it to the new kh/schlumpf hub
you wanted to have a completely custom frame design.

Your forgetting one of the main advantages of the design. The frame is shaped so you dont hit your knees or shins as much. Its a preference thing, but hey, if you got the money and want a super light, super strong frame that is knee and shin friendlyā€¦ thats why this frame exists.