The Triton's competition

I emailed some ideas to unislab earlier and he really seemed to like them. The only problem I had was that I used rectangular tubing on the crown which he said might not look cool. The good news is the design is unique, simple and really strong. Also I drew up some tweaked designs with round tubing on the crown which would look better and would possibly be stronger.
So the main idea is to have one piece of round tubing that runs across the length of the crown that is slightly larger than the seat tube. This way you can run the seat tube through both sides of the tube for the crown and the seat tube would be welded on the top and bottom which would result in a super strong seat tube.
Then the ends of the crown tube would be cut to hug around the sides of the frame legs and would be welded that way which would be very solid.
Then the tops of the crown legs would be rounded off and then a plate would be welded on that which would be pretty much like the tritons rounded off part.
Then in between the bottom of the crown and the fork lef there would be a KH style reinforcement.
Thats the main jist of it hope ou like it!
PS I threw in bearing holders pretty much a copy of tritons since they’d be cheap to machine.

Stephen:D

frame tweak.bmp (883 KB)

frame idea 2 tweak.bmp (930 KB)

frame idea 3 tweak.bmp (930 KB)

bearing holder.bmp (930 KB)

So, have we given up on aluminum?
What with all this talk of expensive titanium, granted it’s cheaper than the KH frames then I’d buy an aluminum frame if Ti was too expensive.

no offence to anyones plans or anything, But can i just get a round crown Ti, or strong aluminum alloy frame?

Just round crown, nothing special, just a frame like nimbus round crown or something.

really, it’ll be way cheaper for parts, probably easier to make. If you can give me some sort of a discount or something for a first batch one, of like test frames, i’ll make sure i give it a run for its money and test it to the extreme for trialsing. I dont need much for anything, just a simple round crown frame.

unless you wanna go all hard and senseless stuff, maybe quick release baring holders? Machined baring holders? idk. It doesnt matter much to me.

uniaddict your design does look good lets see what every1 else thinks

round crown frames appeal to too few people.

i’m not going to order one, i’m saying that now, but i will contribute my design, and volunteer to test one :slight_smile:

whatever. Hell with designs in my opinion. Can i have a round crown titanium frame made?

Thats all i’d really like. I’m sure if i got one, i could self mod it to work better, and also give it a nice paint job.

I’m never buying a round crown frame.

I think the point in having people testing is to put it up against something that not many other people will. Are you really that good?

you decide!

Theres nothing wrong with a flat top frame. They beat the hell out of rounded top ones. Going with a rounded crown only restricts you from being able to do freestyle and flat.

I pulled it out my ass pretty much. But I based it on prices I have seen. I tried to get a frame made by a couple companies who were looking in the 800 dollar range, so I figured that Triton would be around as low as you could get. Plus from what I hear it is a lot more expensive to get things made in the US, so yeah its an ass number, but there is a bit of info behind it. I guess I should have said this info in the original reply though.

The kh frames are mass produced in a country with lower labour costs and lower material costs. They are pretty cheap for what they are. Hand built usa frames are surely never going to be as cheap unless they are made at a loss.

…or knocked up quickly and badly.
I agree it would be pretty amazing to be able to produce a small-volume quality frame and compete on price with mass-produced KH stuff. If you can do it though, and to a decent quality, then good on you.

Exotic materials aren’t magic. Built badly (cheaply) you’ll end up with a frame that’s just as likely to be heavy and/or weak as a £20 Nimbus II. Look at all the nasty tank-like cheap aluminium bike frames out there. People like to say they’ve got an aluminium frame, but a well-made steel frame is lighter, stronger and a much nicer ride (but costs considerably more due to the building skill involved). Flashy materials do not (necessarily) a good frame make.

Rob

Please dont post my oldish videos.

Ive grown in ability a bit in my opinion.

All i can say is, if you got me one of those frame for a bit of a discount, i’d go buy some ankle braces, and try and go big enough to break a part on my uni. I know my wheel set wont break. I’ll even true the spokes and stuff to make sure so.

Hell, i’ll even make a documentary of it for a week.

At the end of the day unibikeling, you’re so eager it’s just plain obvious that you want a cheap new frame for your unicycle, and you can’t really keep insisting that someone must make a frame to your specification, when you are the only one that is going to buy it!

or i could just ask for someone to build one? I’m sure i could go up to my metal shop teacher and ask him to build one, and he would. I’m just looking for a round crown Ti, or Aluminum Allow Trials frame. Intead of all this hybrid crap, that would take a lot of machining, welding, and who knows what else to take up a lot of time and money. Not saying it wouldnt be a good thing for a hybrid frame like that. I’m just saying i could care less for everyone trying to make a unique design, that works well.

Idk, if i cant get a round crown frame here, i’ll have my brother build an alum one up. (which would take a few months to do)

Seriously, what is wrong with the frame you have? Or a KH frame? or a Nimbus round crown frame or an XTP frame?

You can’t expect somebody to do something specifically for you exactly the way you want it, at a cost to them, and then give it to you for as cheap as possible.

The idea of this thread is to come up with a new frame design/new frame to satify the market, which is not just one person.

umm… Here…

Ti round crown frame, copying that of the nimbus round crown, but this has 2 patches of grip tape on the frame.

And i’m not saying make it cheap for me. Hell, do whatever for the price lol. All i’m saying, is i dont need any fancy frame designs. If he would be to make it, i’d be willing to pay a good price for it.

The frame I have is a DX frame, enough said?

If not, there are no Ti KH, nimbus, or XTP frames.

I only asked for aluminum because for some stupid reason I thought it’d be cheaper than the KH.

+1