Post Your 36er Here

do you have any pictures of how you attached the aero bars?

Very easy. They attach directly to the “T” of the kh handle. You can even keep the bar ends attached, and just turn them around. I never did use them for my 100 miler. Just didn’t like the “feel” of them. The kh handle alone was perfectly fine…and lighter!

I wasn’t suggesting to use them as aero bars. My idea is to use them as longer bar ends so that you could get a bit more angle adjustment. You could cut them down if they are too long. If you want to keep the bend you could heat them up to release them from the clamp, cut them down, and re-glue them. You could even flip them over to get a flatter profile.

Oh, ok. Good idea!

so i guess lone aero brs wouyldnt work for me. i dont have KH or any handlebars as it is now.

I’ve finally got my 36er to a semi-finished condition (although I’m sure I’ll keep tweaking it over time).

Coker Big One
Coker Non-Skid tire
KH Fusion Freeride saddle (2009)
KH seatpost
KH T-Bar handle
Bar ends I got from somewhere. . .
Lizard Skins grips, purple
V-brake
Torker LX 152 cranks (might go shorter eventually, but these are versatile for mixed trail/road riding)
Odyssey Twisted PC pedals, grape
Mirrycle Incredibell (I don’t love the sound, but it’s small, durable, and effective)
Headlight
Blinky

The handlebar comes off easy for trail riding, with a quick swap in of a short piece of plain tubing for a brake handle mount.

A mudguard is a mudguard is a mudguard

Because I’m a wimp I need protection from the elements in any way I can get :roll_eyes:

Doing some winter preparation and fitted a mudguard that I think has a nice close-fitting profile. I had to do some cutting of the plastic to get the fit, that also enabled the front section to be fitted.

The front bit is held on by the normal adapter fitting into the seat stem and I used a shim to get it tight. It comes with a click-in lock and appears to work well. The front and rear sections overlap slightly so it should keep water off me - and more importantly drenching the seat - for a good proportion of the wheel’s rotation - we shall see.

The spoke reflectors have been highlighted in the camera flash

I just read the article. Excellent!

What brand of 36" uni is most popular now?

I notice none of them get big interest on the Trading Post, but the regular Cokers seem to be the most neglected, even if they have all the “bells and whistles” and brakes and T7 handles.

Could this be so? Are other unis edging out the regular old Cokers?

Or are people less willing to buy the regular Coker second hand, whereas a KH 36" gets more interest?

If so, why?

The coker has 48 spokes, and a 4 ply tire that makes it heavier, I hear they’re a little less efficient (probably more durable though) Could be speculation. . .

Nimbus has 36 spokes and a 2 ply tire

I know of almost nobody who rides the insanely heavy V2. (“squid”)

Personal opinion: if you’re going to spend that much money on it already, it’s not worth it to save 100 bucks by buying it used.

I certainly think that people trust more in the longevity of the KH, whether true or not.

People also seem to like the ISIS drive and the wider hub.

also. . the coker saddle has to be swapped for something more comfy (but so does the nimbus saddle in my opinion)

I know here in atlanta, the regular riders all have the nightrider (or nightrider pro)
. . . thought about a KH. . . girlfriend will have to need a 36er before I can constitute buying one.

Good answer.

You make me think that the Nimbus is most popular for good reason, because its so much better than the Coker, without the much higher price of the KH.

new to me Coker

Just bought this yesterday … steel frame & rim Coker … I already took the brake off, it will go back on after I get a better wheel, or get the old wheel trued. Curently the wheel rubs the brake just enough to throw my balance off.

Why the handlebar

I have just discovered Rec.Sport.Unicycling and have really enjoyed all the 36’er pictures. I have been riding a cheap 24 incher for 40 years and have not been exposed to any different. I have asked Santa for a Nimbus Titan 36’er for Christmas. Plane Jane with no handlebar or brake.

So…what’s the deal with the handle bars? They just don’t seem to make sense on a unicycle any more than having handlebars while walking. In fact, the other day, someone asked “What do you do with your hands when riding the unicycle?” to which my answer was “What do you do with your hands when walking?”. That was the best answer I could think of.

Would like to hear of the experience of handlebars v. no handlebars on a 36 incher?

its to help with saddle soreness by pushing down with your hands. you cant really do it as well with the regular plastic handle on most saddles.

that said, i hate handlebars, at least the t7

i only ride my 36 for sprint seshs.

I recently bought a 29, and added T-7 handlebars. I got hooked on the T-7 when I bought my Nightrider 36. Handlebars eliminate the need to hunt and grab for the seat handle, and also enable you to shift some weight off the seat (and onto your arms and shoulders), esp when going fast (or repositioning). I’m hooked on the T-7’s…

The Titan works fine with no handlebar but if you find yourself constantly holding the seat you may be better off with a handlebar.I find my balance works better holding the handlebar on anything other than a very smooth surface.

john

no time to ride, so i put mine in here (hope i didn’t already)

It’s only a few ounces more than the Big One (aluminum) frame. The difference is less than if you switched the Coker crankset for an ISIS hub with Moment cranks. Just not as strong of course.

I’m still not sold on the ISIS drive for my 36". My 2002 Coker (narrow hub) has been ridden everywhere and is still fine. So’s the cottered hub on my 1982 45" Big Wheel BTW. I don’t do drops with it (except the ocassional curb or similar) but my old Coker’s been on all kinds of dirt and bumpy stuff. And I think the current Coker hub is as wide as, if not wider than, the ISIS ones.

Interesting. Since they’re all variations on the KH, I don’t see that much of a difference. It’s more in the area of personal preference than obvious comfort differences. I rode my “new” (2008) Coker with the stock seat with no complaints. However this is not the case with the early Cokers, which came with the Viscount saddle. Yuck.

You just haven’t been riding long/far enough to realize how great they can be. In my early days of riding I couldn’t see the point of holding onto the seat. Now I seldom let go when riding on trails. And never while track racing. But that’s mostly for keeping yourself attached to the uni. in those activities. For road riding, it’s more about taking weight off the saddle. I’ve been spoiled by handles ever since I put on on my 2002 Coker.

I was never a fan of the T7, due to its neutral height. Too high and too short to lean on; it can’t really take any of your weight. But even then, I think I’d rather have a T7 than nothing when road riding. For other types of riding it would be in the way.

I still wish you would ride this here

I like the turtle perched on Turtle’s “turtle”. :slight_smile: