Post Your 36er Here

Mounted my nimbus on the hood as ‘bullbar’ today…:smiley:

Man this forum needs the “Like” button ala Facebook. Nice photo!

My 36" Schlumpf is now complete

I’m loving it.

I want one, but i can barely ride my 26 inch :angry:

I guess i’ll have to wait.

Just some old stuff

I like vintage single-speed unicycles. To spiff my old Nimbus up I drilled the airfoil rim, laced it with ss spokes, changed to a narrow hub and repainted frame and hub in Clown Gray. The handle is my old 20" unicycle clad with an old tube. Then I spent almost a day trying to get a 29" tube on the rim. First one popped. And after 24 hour also the second one popped. I have done this several times before and have also managed to keep one and the same tube in there for more than a year. But all in all it’s just too much work. I’ll dig out the old Coker 484 grams tube. Tell me, have they managed to invent any new 36" tubes lately - one that is lighter?

afraid a 36er tube is always going to be crazy heavy : (

nimbus just came out with a drilled rim though! I wouldn’t use it if you’re running a skinny hub though.

That looks very nice, GCR. “Clown Grey” is added to my vocabulary.

coker big one is what i just got. im in the coker club now

Please tell us the other parts used to make that handle! I need something short like that for my 29er!

tell us how that handle is made

+1 I Like that 20" frame handle. Do Tell us how this is done chickenreincarnated who is golden.

“Sorry Chome Avenir 20” sitting in the corner all by yourself "… You’re about the be on the wrong end of a hacksaw in the basement. :astonished:

Unless I’m missing something it looks like the small uni frame is connected to the brake lever post on a KH rail adapter.

Hardware:
[LIST=1]

• Rail adapter with brake lever mount
  • Small uni frame, or maybe even a bike fork with a slot cut in it.
  • Seatpost clamp [/LIST]
  • I have a 24" that we could use to those ends with a dual bolt seat adapter. it’s a 22.2mm seat post diameter and will likely slip on the end of your rail adapter brake lever mount (which puts the brake lever far away from your seat nose handle anyway). Is the chrome one in your basement still working, because my 24" has a dead, broken wheel and isn’t worthy of a replacement wheel…

Very little was required. I hacksawed off the bearing holders from my old 20" chromed unicycle. Then I sawed off the saddle post tube about 5 cm. But if you’re not going to use the “beak handle” on the saddle you won’t need to do that operation. However, if you hack it off you must make a new slit in the tube (yes, hacksaw again). Then you put a saddle clamp on the tube and push it on to the brake mount below the saddle. Tighten the clamp and it will sit firmly. When you upd the handle will be stopped by the “beak handle” so the weld on the brake mount will not crack. I hope. If you don’t fancy the chrome you can dress the handle with an old tube (use soap). Some petrol or alcohol will blacken the rubber.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

06.jpg

Very cool. thanks for posting that. But isn’t that a 29er? And the only reason I probably won’t make one like that, is because I don’t want to go back to using a (heavy) rail adapter. I’ll probably just use my stoker stem mounted directly to my seat post, and go from there.

Yeah, it was made for the 29er but by the time I had refurbished my 36er I didn’t want to use my old (and even heavier) T7 so I moved it. The handle is a wee small for the big wheel, but fits well on the 29er on smooth trails. If one wants a longer handle you can use a 24" frame. I have found myself (with hacksaw in hand) staring at my old (and no longer used) Coker frame. Anyway, good luck with your own project.

If there is a stoker stem with an inside diameter of 1 1/8", or 28.6mm, you could pretty much do this same thing, but insert the seat tube from the donor uni frame into the stoker stem rather than around the brake lever mount.

Like this? I used my kh handle for the time being. I have it way shorter than when it’s on my 36er, and I’d like it even shorter still, but I don’t want to cut it down. I would also prefer a bit more upward angle on the stoker, but this is all i have at the moment. I don’t really want to get in to adding more stems if I can help it.

DSC04079.JPG

That’s elegant. I’m a fan of attaching to the seatpost, and this is on the right track. What about using the old Scott MTB clipon bars instead of regular bar ends. They would give you more reach at the bar end, and you could adjust the angle at that point. The MTB version had clamps that were made for 22.2mm bars, and it looks like these ones on ebay would do the trick. You could lose the arm rests.

i also have bike armrests like that one and i was wondering how i could mount it to my coker big one. does anyone have pictures of how they did it?

I tried aero bars on my 36er, and considered them for my 100 mile ride. But I really didn’t like the feel of them, so I just used the kh handle alone, which was very comfy on the long ride. Using them on my 29er would make the reach much too long, which I don’t really want for my 29er; just something a bit longer and more comfortable to hold on long rides than the lift handle. :smiley: