Post a picture of your unicycle(s)

New wheel day. I can no longer blame my equipment :sunglasses:

This thing feels so self indulgent that honestly I’m a little embarrassed. I have to admit that I’m not always comfortable with change, and it felt bittersweet to decommission my old muni to get this thing up and running (had to steal the cranks and brake).

R.I.P.

It’s a size L frame, so will accommodate fat tyres in 650b and plus tyres in 29" if I ever want to. I do notice the widest part of the frame touching my calves, but I doubt it will be a problem on trails. Unfortunately I’m not going to be able to test it out properly for another week or so due to prior commitments.

I doubt it’s going to replace my 36er anytime soon, but should be fun!!

13 Likes

I was using spray sunscreen on my calves for summer rides and ended up with orange legs from the paint coming off my Nimbus as it rubbed a bit. Hopefully this won’t happen to you. I’ve learned to put the sunscreen earlier so it dries fully and I’ve altered my riding a bit so I don’t rub much anymore.

The Mad4One frames are anodised rather than painted, so it shouldn’t really transfer any colour (as the colour layer is so hard and thin) even if it might eventually rub through from grit and dirt.

Blast from the past.

I was trying to think the other day of products I’d seen actually with the original Addict branding on them. There can’t be much out there any more.

1 Like

Hopefully no transfer due to the anodising, but if I’m muni riding then I’m always prepared to get dirty and messy anyway.

It will still be a little while before I can test this thing out properly, but just experimenting in my backyard I’m chuffed with how nice it rides. The only real difference compared to my old muni is the wider rim and tyre, but it is significantly easier to mount and ride on grass and gravel. It feels much more stable too.

I do have the saddle half an inch lower than I used to, so that could be making a difference too.

1 Like

Fancy uni. I like it. Nice colour.

1 Like

Since I now have a “real muni” I’ve downgraded my 26" “freestyle” uni back to a somewhat-stock beater configuration. The plan is to use this for cruising the bike paths with my daughter (that was the whole motivation/excuse for the “I need a fancy muni” plan :wink: ).

This tyre is the stock one from years ago, and it’s barely been used. Once it wears out I’ll definitely be getting a coloured tyre for it :sunglasses: .

4 Likes

If you are using it for cruising around on bike paths, don’t you want some shorter cranks. 125mm would a little long for my tastes for that kind of usage (I currently run 89mm on my road 26", pictured at the start of the thread).

Possibly. Those are the shortest I had in the parts bin.

I’ve been out of the uni world for around 3 years. To my shame. But getting back into now with a newly purchased Impact Gravity to build my confidence back up for my other larger wheels. Happily I never sold any of them and 3 and hanging up in the tall hall way - a constant reminder they need to go out.

My favourite wheel of all time is my 24” Triton Surly LM build:

And my close second in my Oregon :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Glad the skill comes back a bit like “riding a bike” - and so glad I got this:

Zero fear here helping me find those muscles again and regain (hopefully quickly) the ability to once again ride these two with my wife, Terez!:

While a miss being able to just hop on the 36” - right now the 20” just feels so simple for me to pick and and fail - that I don’t dread the challenge as I would if I tried to ride the 36” from cold.

Fingers crossed I’m back up and on them all shortly!

7 Likes

Nice wheels!

Are Triton frames still being made?

1 Like

I’m not sure. Probably not in any rapid form - but the bike company does still make titanium frames for bikes.

They are very nicely made items!

This is how it looks outside my apartment right now. The smallest is my daughter’s new uni. Thanks to @Thewheeliekid for reminding me how nice those pink URC frames are and also @UniMyra for inspiring me to match it with a nice tyre. :wink:

5 Likes

Nice bikes! Is the smallest a 16"? Sorry for the OT, but how old is your daughter? My 5-year old would like to learn, but I don’t think anything bigger than a 12-incher would fit her, as she’s quite small for her age.

The smallest there (the new pink one) is a 20" but we also own a 16" and it is that what my daughter is actually learning on. I am one step ahead of myself. The 20" is primarily for when she has finished learning.

P.S. I think you know @UniMyra, right? He has a 12" in his vast collection. Perhaps he’d lone it to you for your kid to try on.

1 Like

My 36" is again tubeless and with a tire insert… 6.35kgs of perfection. I won’t mod it anymore… till next mod!!! :smirk:

9 Likes

You are just a fraction under the weight of @muni_ben’s new 36er

Now you are only missing a carbon base;) But just crazy how light a 36" can be nowadays.

Mine is around 6,9 kg (RGB, no carbon rim, but light tire and tube and a KH T-bar).

:ok_hand:t3: Cant wait to get my carbon rim! My phone screen is small so it’s hard to tell for sure but is your tire mounted backwards?

1 Like