20" Mini Hatchet

Fair point about the rim width but even if you did want to get the best (and greatest width) out of the available 4" tyres, rebuilding the M4O/URC fat 20" wheelset with a wider rim would still be less work than what you would need to do to the 20" Hatchet to bring it to peak performance, since the Hatchet would need a rebuild anyway to gain an ISIS hub, plus you need to get hold of usual/uncommon/untested bearings to fit the frame and you are still left without the possiblity of a brake. Oh … and the frame on the Hatchet is unlikely to be as strong due to the unusual design.

So starting with the M4O/URC fat 20" it is less work to get things “perfect” and if you can accept the smaller rim… you don’t have to do anything at all.

I still think the baby Hatchet has its place/niche and there is some overlap with the 20" M4O/URC mini fatty but they are also pitching/optimised to slightly different groups.

If you are buying for a kid, buying for yourself but know that you are unlikely to push too hard, love the Hatchet look or just don’t have a lot of money, the Hatchet could still make the most sense. If you have the funds and care more about out of the box capabilities than “that look” the 20" M4O/URC fatty is probably the better option.

An extra thought (even though I have written far too much already). If someone buys one of these specifically to mess around in the snow, that will also be a lot more forgiving on the crank interface than hoping on hard tarmac, concrete, etc. with a skinny tyre. So again I speculate that maybe it will take more abuse than one might assume depending on how and where you use it.

1 Like

Very good point, if you want the full 4" a hatchet would be good but honestly even fatbike trails have very few jumps or drops so even the square taper would be good enough on that.

Even a 3" tire would be clear terrain and with ebikes there’s plenty of 20"+ tires to mix and match.

Not sure I would consider this Uni for adult use. Take a close look at the bearing caps - They are stamped, not forged and machined.

I would say one of the obvious major things against adult use is that you’d need a heck of a long seat post for it – I think it is a mini-Hatchet for ‘mini-people’… nothing wrong with that, and pretty cute though :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve done dozens of 2-3 foot drops on my Club 24” which seems about same build strength as this mini Hatchet and it’s doing just fine. Also has a couple thousand miles on it and going strong.

1 Like

I would not consider those bearing caps to be a strength problem, as lots of unicycles for adults have stamped bearing caps. All the URC models from M40. Here is one for example:

https://www.mad4one.com/gb/muni/435-26-urc-mountain-unicycle-fat.html

Other brands too. Here is the ONE4ALL Fatty from einradshop:

https://www.einradshop.ch/einrad-kaufen-schweiz/26-zoll/1822-one4all-crmonster-fatty-expert-ch.html

Or here is an Impact Athmos:

https://www.unicycle.co.uk/unicycles/brand/impact/19-impact-athmos-black-red.html

They even provide a close up image for that last one, which looks very similar to that mini Hatchet close up you provided, does it not?

1 Like

The more I look at this, for me the biggest worry regarding strength would probably be that distinctive frame design. Having an angle weakens things quite a bit. Obviously for the bigger Hatchet this compromise was taken to help accommodate those massive tyres while still leaving clearance for your legs. But then the frame is pretty bulky to help counteract this, so it is not really a problem. I have never heard of anyone breaking a Hatchet frame.

On the little Hatchet leg clearance would be less of an issue for an adult because of the reduced wheel size and slightly narrower maximum tyre width. So you just end up with weaker frame with no major benefit (at least not for adults). Also it does not look anything like as solid or bulky as the big frame at that joint.

Therefore from a functional perspective the original purple monster would actually be better for an adult. The baby Hatchet might be more visually pleasing given the fun tribute to the big Hatchet but you are clearly paying for it in strength.

Maybe it is still strong enough. I am not skilled to judge but I have seen images of much more solid looking frames broken, so that would be my worry.

That said, in the comments of his Instagram post, Josh mentioned that he was considering getting one for himself and he is an adult with a lot of experience of unicycles given his position at UDC, so maybe he knows more. Or… maybe he is just planning not to totally abuse it. :person_shrugging:t3:

Maybe this is the new trend after tiny houses: TINY UNICYCLES.

2 Likes

This thread has inspired me to possibly start a new thread I would like to call it " unicycle world tour on my 12" hoppley"

Or maybe “what adults should expect while riding children’s vehicles”

. When I see an adult riding on a child’s bike it usually means they have lost their driver’s licence for drinking while driving.

2 Likes

The frame matters less for adults on it than the big version but it is designed as a children’s unicycle and for them they have the same problem that adults do on the bigger hatchet.

I should have realised you are a bunch of big kids on here! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The problem is for many of us that once you get to a few years in of riding, you already own pretty much every unicycle you could possibly need.

Bringing out a new unicycle gives us something else to buy, with the only problem then being figuring out the justification for the purchase.

2 Likes

Ok so it is primarily for kids or only for kids? I am happy with either answer as it clarifies. I ask because the first person I saw buying one is definately an adult and the second reference was Josh (who said he might get his own) and he too is an adult.

[Ok arguably they are also both big kids. :crazy_face:]

2 Likes

The 12" at my club is ridden almost entirely by adults…

3 Likes

In the listing it says, “Not recommended for extreme trials.” I’d think that pretty well covers it, anybody can ride it but they should not abuse it.

2 Likes

Hi ruari, what do you think of the idea of putting a fat 20 inch wheel in a normal Hatchet frame? It wouldn’t be as cute as the mini Hatchet, but we’re not as cute as children any more. :grinning:

1 Like

Shh… don’t tell anyone but I already have access to a URC Muni XS frame which will allow for a maximum tyre size of 20" x 4.0 (in theory it is one of my daughter’s unis but there is little stopping me from using it). This frame will take an ISIS hub and has a disc tab for a brake. :shushing_face:

The pink unicycle on the far right in this image. Currently with a far smaller tyre.

And before you ask, I have zero problems with the idea of cycling a pink unicycle. In fact I think it looks awesome!

Don`t ask about the color, but the zebra saddle :wink:

1 Like

If I wanted to use this uni a new saddle (and seatpost, due to length) is essential. Sure the saddle looks cute and is ok for her but that thing would break me in about 5 mins. :laughing:

1 Like

It’s appropriate for kids.