Post a picture of your unicycle(s)

Hi Finnspin , I look forward to your freewheel video as i have enjoyed your others which have got me doing rolling mounts now and i need to go back over the one you did about jumping over obstacles so thank you for taking the time to do the videos.

Ive only ridden my freewheel twice so far due to a combination of time , weather and needing to swap wheel over each time. I didnt do too well on freewheel but am keen to progress with it.

Hello colleagues.
I made it, at last, my oldes dream, the foldable unicycle. Probably, it is the first folding unicycle in the world. In this case, lets to think the publicasion fixing the priority :slight_smile:

19 Likes

That really is a neat idea. The clamp looks almost like a Brompton hinge.

If you could get the Brompton folding pedals for both left and right cranks it would be very slim line.

1 Like

New uni day for me. After trying out uni packing this year and bikepacking I really like it so decided to pick up a lot of nice gear and sell my Ebike. With the new backpacking gear I’ve got my base weight down to 12lbs in a 36L pack for 2-4 day trips.

Earlier this year I found that bigger tires helped me go faster on road so I built this uni:

And added a Qu-Ax handle to it. After buying a G29 with a carbon rim from a friend in town and added an air saddle it’s melded into this:

M4O frame, carbon rim, Isis Schlumpf, 125/150 KH cranks, SRAM brake, air saddle, and BMX grips with a 29 x 3.0 tire I’m excited for when the snow melts and I can start taking it on trips.

I’m cautious to take it out in winter so I moved the original wheel to the G29s frame it came with and have this uni for commuting/getting around with a 24" as well.

So I’m now all in on Unicycles and have those to mix with transit in my city and for unipacking trips next spring. I felt like my skills have gotten to the point where getting higher end gear will finally pay off.

I found that my biggest source of slowing down on trips was sketchy terrain and losing feeling in my groin so I’m hoping the handle/air saddle/big tire and long cranks on the G29 will help alleviate issues and reduces the amount of breaks and slow downs needed.

I’ll post a review of the air saddle in a bit as I found them to be few online. Here’s to hoping they live up to the hype and I didn’t waste a large amount of money on 2 of them :slight_smile:

7 Likes

…Brompton fold padals…
Yes, of course, but
I’m using Wellgo Quick Release pedals usually, that is much much cheaper. Now is time for testing on play ground only. Ice is everewere on roads.

4 Likes

While I applaud peoples innovation and thinking outside of the box, I don’t understand this concept. You could just remove the seat post (and saddle) and accomplish more than having a folding seatpost. Or just do nothing and have it be 10% bigger…

1 Like

anton005, Thank you for compliment and advice to remove seat post. You can believe me, I’m doing it during five years. And I’m tired to remove the saddle. I do not like to carry an unicycle without a saddle + a saddle without an unicycle, two pieces. I like to carry compact and handsome, folding unicycle, which can very easy be put in a car, in a shop cart, under office counter, on the shelf in train and it is still left in one piece format, it left to be full unicycle. It is ready to be unfolding in several seconds and I no need to adjust and tight a seatpost. My seat left all time adjusted and tightened. It ready to be folded and unfolded several time in a day by the way to work and return using trains and buses.
(remember please, how you, personaly, did adjusting of your seat last time, no very pleasent work, yes?)

P.S.
It is my fantasy only :), not confirmed in reality.

5 Likes

I wanted to say that too. I do not mean to be negative, but I do not really get it. IF it works for someones niche needs, thats awesome and I applaud the effort. I just don’t see it appealing to a wider audience.

1 Like

I guess the average person on the street could say that about unicycles in general? I like the irony :wink:

Anyhow, I think it is a neat idea and well made, it is by folk doing stuff like this that things progress and I’m sure Zivit got enjoyment from making it and using it.

3 Likes

I feel it’s time for an update on my current favorite unicycle since I built it a bit over a year ago.

Wheel and frame is unchanged but I’ve also come to realize that I (at least for now) enjoy flowy trails and cross country riding instead of the more technical stuff so the unicycle has been tweaked for this purpose.

The M4O Handle Saddle setup is described in more detail here but I’ve since changed the saddle to the ISM Prologue that is a bit softer than the PS 1.1 I initially used. I love this setup as it provides bike-like comfort on a unicycle for me.

Brake has been upgraded to a 4-piston setup. I initially upgraded to a Magura MT5 and used it for many months until I recently discovered that the strange noise I was hearing when pushing hard was due to the MT5 brake caliper hitting the Spirit cranks :zipper_mouth_face: So now I’ve changed to Shimano BL-MT401/BR-MT420.

I used 137mm cranks for the first month. Then I used 127mm cranks for a year and last week I changed to 117mm. Kind of natural progression I guess but was quite surprised that the recent change from 127mm to 117mm gave me an instant speed boost of 10% and now my average speed on the 29" (~15km/h) is almost similar to my carbon 36" (using 137mm cranks) average speeds. With practice (by gaining confidence) I could likely increase my 36" average speeds but right now I have no motivation to do so.

9 Likes

O.k. it makes much more sense to me now, thank you for the explanation. I guess we all have our own realities, we all do things differently and have our own requirements. I’m glad you are making progress :+1:
Anton.

3 Likes

Finally found a way to hang my unicycles without drilling the wall.

21 Likes

Got a KH 36 in the mail today. Had a t-bar laying around and slapped that on it. Boring but I wanted to note it!

13 Likes

My UW / BC collection. All hand made.

15 Likes

All this talk of ultimate wheels reminds me I don’t think I posted this before. I built it during lockdown (24") and, no I can’t ride it. Maybe I will try again…

4 Likes

Nothing boring to my mind about this ride. KH36ers are so refined and in my view probably the least in need of tinkering with for an off the peg ride.

Love the fact we get brake mounts on both sides and back in KH blue.

Main lesson with this kind of unicycle: never sell it.

But you won’t as once on a 36er you’re stuck for life in this rolling hobby / obsession.

:grinning:

1 Like

Thanks for the encouraging and awesome words!

1 Like

New unicycle for Jazzy - 12” Hoppley

19 Likes

Oh great! Another person better than me! :joy:

6 Likes

As someone with a little one on the way - I’m genuinely curious if/when they will be successfully riding that thing. Keep us in the loop! :smiley:

1 Like