Post a picture of your unicycle(s)

I like this set-up.

1 Like

Some of my uni/muni previous post 178, aug. 14

1 Like

The latest addition to my family.
This is a much neglected, but lovingly nurtured back to full health KH 26er with a KH Fusion Zero saddle. Iā€™ll be taking her for a spot of Muni this afternoon before taking her to the bike shop next week to sort the brake out.
Iā€™m a very happy man and will be even happier once Iā€™ve had the frame powder coated.

7 Likes

Do like to see KH26ers. Or any 26ā€ unicycle. Sure 27.5 is said not to be much different (canā€™t say I know personally) but I always liked the KH approach with the 26er and not having a massive tyre. Nimble and neat.

You new addition looks in great health and that saddle has me tempted to try one :thinking:

1 Like

I like that frame colour :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know thereā€™s been a lot of discussion about 26 vs 27.5 but I wanted a 26er. I already have a KH 29er and really see little difference between the 27.5 and the 29. Plus, I wanted a uni that was small enough to live in the back of my car but with a decent size wheel to do some longer rides as well as a spot of Muni, so for me the 26er is a winner.

I really like it and find it very comfy. I also have a Fusion One on my 36er and love it on my longer rides.

1 Like

Well, Kris Holm was actually one of the first to abandon 26" and has been at the forefront of going wider with their tiresā€¦

Itā€™s not too bad but itā€™s not my choice, and itā€™s very worn in places so Iā€™m planning on getting it powder coated in a metallic burnt orangey colour. Iā€™ll post some pics once itā€™s done.

My brand new KH 36 together with my three year old KH 29 (my first and only unicycle up until now):

Cycling on the KH 36 was easy peasy, freemounting not so easy, but doable after multiple trials. With pedals set on inner holes (127 mm) i need a distinct downhill to freemount it, so Iā€™ll keep them on the outer holes (150 mm) while finetuning my freemount. Cycling with pedals on inner holes feels better though (on paved roads that is).

If Iā€™m going for another one it will probably be a 20" (or a 24" - or maybe bothā€¦).

9 Likes

Very good. A question, are you doing a rolling mount, a static mount or some other mount on your 36er?

As to next uniā€¦ a 24 is ok to go places, portable but slower than 29er.

20" is very slow (you wouldnā€™t do any long distances on it by choice) but itā€™s a good sized uni to learn more skills, eg. Hopping and idling and backwards etc. if you canā€™t already. Learning these skills on a 24" is ok too, just a bit harder. If I had to choose one over the other, Iā€™d go 24" with ISIS hub.

Even keep an eye out for whatā€™s available secondhand, a brand named uni suitable for adults should withstand hopping and minor drops etc without breaking. And no doubt youā€™d be aware, an ISIS hub is stronger than square taper.

You might also need to buy a longer seatpost.

2 Likes

I am doing a static mount, i.e. one foot on the pedal and jumping up with the other foot. I have not learned rolling mount yet, but I guess rolling mount (when learned) would be easier on the 36er with cranks shorter than 150 mm.

Thanks for the advices for my next wheel. It looks like Iā€™m going to have both a 20" and a 24". I want to learn hopping, idling, going backwards etc. which I have found very hard to try on the 29er. I also want to learn more fun mounting styles. So a 20" for learning and a 24" for using learnt skills afterwards sounds like a good idea. I also wonder if not a 24" is easier for more cross-country style cycling (forest paths, forest trails, etc.) than the 29", at least while learning.

But for now itā€™s the 36er for distance on less challenging surfaces. I like to cycle 2-3 hours bringing with me a thermos with hot coffee and a packed lunch.

1 Like

Wave your arms pretending you are at the brink of falling. That usually keeps people (and also cars) at distance.

1 Like

Yes, this is true for forest paths, good to start on a 24, get confident and then go bigger. Youā€™ll eventually find bigger easier when you use it, it has momentum whereas the smaller wheel doesnā€™t. Youā€™ll feel more in control of the smaller wheel and Iā€™d suggest a 2.4" wide tyre good for pretty close to all circumstances, but if the surface is rougher, 2.6 to 3" wide may be better.

Yes :slight_smile: And you can practice the rolling mount on the 29er too. Ps. I personally suck at 36er mounting. My height doesnā€™t help 5ā€™5" (166cm) and I canā€™t static mount a 36er. Perhaps if I had a nightfox it would be possibleā€¦

1 Like

[quote=ā€œfrode, post:232, topic:268347, full:trueā€]
I also wonder if not a 24" is easier for more cross-country style cycling (forest paths, forest trails, etc.) than the 29", at least while learning.[/quote]

24" is easier at some things and harder at others. If you want to do hard climbs, tight turns, hops and brakeless descents, thatā€™s the kind of thing a 24" excels at. At the same time however, a root that your 29er would just roll over will often be enough to cause a UPD on a 24".

Iā€™ve been riding almost exclusively on my 24" since I got it and I think itā€™s a great size. Itā€™s big enough to actually get somewhere and to take on trails, but small enough to still be very nimble. You probably wonā€™t notice a big improvement in the things a 24" excels at immediately, but within a few days I found I was climbing better than on my 27.5, unless there were roots or obstacles on the climb. Then it becomes a wash, the smaller wheel climbs better but doesnā€™t roll over obstacles better. The difference on brakeless descents however was immediately noticeable.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s a bunch of posts of x vs y size. The bottom line is that theyā€™re all different, and if youā€™re considering riding road, xc, and technical, then youā€™ll eventually own every size :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Thanks a lot @Gockie and @Duff . I now see that my next one will be a 24", probably next spring. This winter I have plans on putting a studded tyre/tire on my KH 29 (Norway is icy and snowy in winter). That will (hopefully) be a lot of fun. I would love to go studded on the 36er also, but I havenā€™t found any of that size yet.

Then realise how different they can be in different widths and setups, and want to own more than one in many sizesā€¦ I now want duplicates as freewheels too!

When weā€™ve moved house Iā€™ll see if I can get all of my collection together for a family photo as itā€™s been a while. Iā€™ll need a wide angle lens!

1 Like

This is my second unicycle and my first Muni.

I build the wheel with a Kris Holm Spirit Hub and a Nimbus Hachet 55mm rim. Spokes and nipples are from Sapim.

Some specs:
Mad4one Frame in L champagne
Maxxis Minion DHR 29x3 tire
Kris Holm Fusion Freeride saddle
Kris Holm Spirit Cranks 127/150mm
Shimano XT disc brake with a 203mm disc
NC-17 Sudpin Zero Pro pedals

17 Likes

Looks pretty nice ā€“ I hope you get a lot of enjoyment from it, I really like the champagne Mad4One frame. Welcome to the forums.

Nice!