Pictures of your latest ride continued

2 posts were split to a new topic: My custom travel frame

It’s such an interesting setup that it could have its own topic. Are you guys OK if I move this message to a new topic named “my custom travel frame” or something like that?

6 Likes

I say, do it!

1 Like

No problem, seems like a good idea

1 Like

Done!

3 Likes

My wife ran with our dog last night, and I tried to keep up, which allowed me to fight the wind by myself. Turned out to be a beautiful evening to ride. I would have asked her to take the photo, but she and the dog were way ahead of me during the non-water photo, and behind me at the water photo.

8 Likes

So after a failed attempt at my 2nd Unipacking trip in May due to heat and a first attempt with not the best gear in October, I got in my first night of stealth camping. Wasn’t a long trip, only 15 km or so away from home, but I was able to get a lovely view of the sunset and sunrise and test out my new gear loadout.

I’ve got my pack down to 15lbs for a lighter load and 20 for an overnight with a bit more food and water needed.

This was also my first touring type ride on my newly built 29" wheel as well. She rides so well and I honestly couldn’t be happy with the final result.

10 Likes

St. Agnes Beacon, Cornwall, UK. 2nd June

7 Likes

A compilation of a ride my daughter and I did a few days ago. We were filming with an iPhone and I deleted the original audio because it was mostly my post COVID wheezing.iCloud

3 Likes

Do you live in Cornwall.

I switched Strava off for this ride (or rather never switched it on), and wow, it was much more fun. I think I might forget about recording and metrics and doodads for a while, and enjoy being a bit less online.

15 Likes

Caught a nice sunrise yesterday

11 Likes

Sadly, no, but I have family connections in that area so we go down every year. I am back home in Essex now :frowning_face:

Interesting.
Are there huge fires or an active volcano hundreds or thousands of kilometers away? It kind of looks like a volcanic sunise. Dust in the air change the color of sunset/rises to a typical yellow/purple glow.

Example:

2 Likes

Not mine, but my brother is currently going to north cape from Stockholm, and he took those pictures:

8 Likes

Nope, in all my my years of early morning uni riding & cycling, early sunrise on a cloudless day in winter mostly looks like this.

1 Like

Rode the Needwood Loop muni trail a little north of Washington D.C. There’s an old abandoned Ford Mustang along the trail with tons of MTB stickers on it. Today I added a new sticker. Can you spot it?

12 Likes

Visiting friends, I decided spontaneously to bring the cycle along. I haven’t ridden more than 4 times this year, so I was excited to get out last sunday (5/6-22). I was happy to find that normal riding, at 17-20 km/h, still doesn’t make me winded. But there was a surprising amount of hill climbing. One of those was a long and steep and with turns.

I’m glad I got out, because it was the only day the sun was out this week.
When I don’t ride for a good while I feel like I need to prove that I still can.

PS. I was going to take more pictures, but when I get going I’m reluctant to stop, and in fact I did this whole trip in one go. If it’s been windy with gusts of wind, I doubt I could’ve stayed on doing the steepest climbs.

7 Likes

Didn’t you find it really slow going? I’m only asking because I cycled on my 29" with my friend running beside me, and honestly it was just too slow and got a bit boring.

We don’t feel the need to stick together. She will leave me if I stop and have to mount again. We are normally within long eyesight, though. If I don’t UPD for some reason, I will normally travel faster than her. If I stop at a challenging section and have to free mount, she ends up passing me. It really depends on which unicycle I am riding. Also, if I get too far ahead I just turn around and ride back toward her until we are together again and then I continue on in the same direction she is running. I am not setting any speed records when we do this.

My 29” with 114mm cranks is not the uni to try to stay together. She ends up following me.

My Oracle 27.5 with 150mm cranks is a back and forth, depending on the surface.

And, my 24” with balloon tire and 130mm cranks seems to be perfect.

If I really want to guarantee we stay together, I ride my 24” muni with 160mm cranks. That is a challenge to stay with her, especially if we are on dirt running/equestrian paths.

1 Like