How to hang or store unicylces?

I am going to use wood and make on just like yours.

Thanks for posting the pic! Looking good. Now I would want to fit a 24", 26" and a 36" on one stand… I’ll see if I can figure something out.

Oh Blue :smiley:

Speaking of unicycle stands, our local unicycle store has built a rack with a unique way of holding the unis.

It is a metal base, with a square tube for each uni sticking up, and a slot in one side of the square tube.

You store each uni by pointing one crank down, and inserting it into the square tube. The pedal sticks out the slot.

It is a very strong stand, that requires minimal parts (but you would need to weld to build)

You can see a picture here: http://www.ebikes.ca/store/store_uniinfo.php

Genius. Wish I could weld.

dimemsions please…

Hey MuniSano,

I like the looks of your rack and believe my “advanced woodworking skills” :wink: might even allow me to duplicate it. However, I was wondering what the dimensions were of the rectangle on the floor; specifically, the front-to-back internal (opening) size?

I was also wondering if you thought you had gotten that dimension “just right” for holding 20s, 24s & 26s (it looks like you did), and whether it might also hold a 29er too, if notched? In other words, if you were to rebuild it, would you keep the front-to-back internal (opening) size the way it is now, or make it greater or less?

(Come to think of it, maybe reducing the front-to-back internal (opening) size to just lift a 20" tire off the ground, and adding notches to the 4"x4"s that are appropriately-sized and beveled for larger wheels/tires, would be the way to go?)

Thanks in advance for the details!

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

I can go take some actual measurements if you all want them. Basically, at the time, I didn’t have a 36er but had a 20", 24" and 26" unicycle so wanted a box to fit them all.

Like you’d surmised I based the entire uni-rack dimensions off of the smallest unicycle I own, a 20" unicycle. Basically made the opening just big enough so that the 20" tire didn’t quite touch the floor (not that that would be a bad thing anyhow) and the back-rest just tall enough so the saddle would clear the top. This seemed to work well and all the other uni’s I had all fit just fine (except the 36").

I think a 29" would probably fit just fine because my 26" unicycle has a 26x3 Gazz and so the effective diameter is closer to 28" and it fits just fine.

I purposely avoided cutting any notches in the box frame or the headrest so I could place any uni, anywhere in the rack, but if you want to customize per uni, go for it!

All things considered, if you’re okay with the 20" touching the ground, then I’d perhaps make the box a bit wider to ensure that you can hold the largest 29" tire possible, or like you said, just cut some notches in the 4x4’s.

Best rack I’ve seen in a while:

Originally posted here.

2 Likes

The unicycle hanging system created by @mindbalance Felix got me thinking…and I came up with this.

5 Likes

Wow what a collection!

I think piling is the most natural way to store unicycles!

2 Likes

This is an example, which unfortunately was not carried out consistently

1 Like

If I had lived alone, I would have kept them in a pile for sure :rofl:

2 Likes

Yous are so organised. I have a small shed that is filled up by the autoped. Now I pile my unicycles in my work room on top of each other.
@UniMyra I don’t live alone and I tell my family not to enter my work room. The one place in the house I can make a mess.

3 Likes

Well, I waited too long to edit my earlier post. For anyone interested, this photo shows the hanging system minus the unicycles so as to provide an idea of how it was built and how the rafter hangers are used. This way, each hook can be slid left or right as necessary.

This is the rafter hanger I used.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-8-in-L-Heavy-Duty-Black-Vinyl-Coated-Steel-Rafter-Hanger-Storage-Hook-50-lbs-816420/318089169

2 Likes

These work well too.

https://www.homedepot.com/s/wreath%20door%20hanger?NCNI-5

1 Like

you’re Home depot link gives me an “Access denied”. Based on the hooks, you have 13 unicycles, plus the UW? Do you still use your Ultimate Wheel, or was it just cool to play with for a while and now it just hangs around, like mine does. I mostly stopped, because I overdid the training and twisted my right knee. Every now and then I try to see if I still can freemount it.
I don’t have my own garage or big shed to build something like that unfortunately. It is a cool setup you have there.

I added an image of the rafter hook I use, to my post above.

All 13 hooks are used by a unicycle. Some are ridden by my son, most are mine, and one currently on the wall is a 26” “loaner” unicycle that was donated as part of a 6-unicycle set to be used as loaner unicycles for the unicycle club he and a friend started at their university. He currently has his Trials uni with him at college, which opened up a spot on the wall.

Before “The Wall”, I very successfully used the “pile” storage method, with three unicycles standing up with the use of three unicycle stands. Those unicycles were often knocked over into “the pile”.

I cannot ride the Ultimate Wheel, yet. My son can, but I have not yet mastered it. I can manage a couple rotations, enough to tell me that I will be able to learn. But when I dedicate time to ride, I most often grab a unicycle, a hydration pack, dog leash, travel dog bowl, dog harness, water bottle for the dog, and my dog. My dog would be very unimpressed with the quality of his run, if I chose to ride the Ultimate Wheel. However, mastering the Ultimate Wheel is on my To-Do List.

Lastly, this is another unicycle on the wall that I can’t ride.

I just tried it again and it worked.
https://www.homedepot.com/s/wreath%20door%20hanger?NCNI-5