Coker Discussion Thread

ride them as fast and/or as far as you can :smiley:

Banked turns/circles are awesome.

Have any of you ever entered in bike races, like street. Iā€™ve heard of people doing it, but I donā€™t know if every race allows that. And can you keep up?

theyā€™re even more fun at high speeds when the ground is slick(today was fun there was snow!!)

Hey all, just finished editing my new Coker video called: ā€œA Coker Canyon Christmasā€ shot this morning in the Santa Monica Mountains. I got some cool footage and probably the best & funniest comments yet! It should be up soon in the vid section! :smiley:

YAY!!! I have about a minutes worth of video testing my new helmet cam on my coker I still havenā€™t quite figured out how to mount it with the least amount of wiggling so the helmet cam shots are really wiggly but the camera is an ATC 2K from Oregon Scientific, and for anly about $100 itā€™s a pretty good camera I can mount it on my helmet, my arm, my unicycle practically anywhere and it records to an SD cardā€¦ pretty nice waterproof up to 10 feetā€¦ Iā€™ll have my video up soon as well (thereā€™s snow in mine!!!)

Well, since this is a coker discussion thread, I thought Iā€™d let you all know that my newest (Coker muni) video I shot today, 12/25/07) is up in the vid section. :smiley: (Still not many viewing the video section at any one time so might as well link it here too!)

Merry Christmas!

Terry, you win the 2007 ā€œMost Entertainingā€ video award! For ALL of your vids!

Haha thanks! You made my day!:smiley:

Weā€™re holding our responses until you tell us where you are and where you ordered it from. :roll_eyes: Hopefully you received/will receive a tracking number for the shipment.

Interestingly, the vast majority of big wheels built by Tom Miller (The Unicycle Factory) were 40-inchers. But they also had cottered axles. I canā€™t imagine someone wanting to put one of those in a new frame, but itā€™s possible. Otherwise, I assume the owner would be anxious to show it off so weā€™ll see if he backpedals, or makes excuses about getting some pictures of it.

Hang it up in the garage, let it ride around in the back of my car, pump up the tire. Is this the kind of answer you were looking for? You might need an oversized hook to hang it on.

A 36" unicycle is not going to keep up with a bike. In an actual bike race, assume there will be a lot of riders with better fitness than your own. If you were on a bike theyā€™d still beat you (unless youā€™re a hardcore bike racer).

Finally! I figured out how to get all the helemt camera footage convereted into quicktime files from AVI files, then spent a REALLY long time problem solving iMovie because the effect I wanted to use wasnā€™t working but here it is! my helmet camera test and a White Christmas Coker ride! figured Iā€™d post it here first like Terry did.

Nice! The only think I have against the helmet cam is that you canā€™t see the rider or the coker. Thatā€™s why if I want some POV stuff, I just hold the camera as far back as possibleā€“while Iā€™m ridingā€“so the viewer can at least see part of the coker in the shot.

You could also maybe try aiming the camera down more to show at least some of your coker as youā€™re riding. Was it slippery on the road with all the snow?

it was pretty slippery but it was great funā€¦ well other than the fact that it got really cold, and Iā€™m still experimenting with the camera, it came with a bunch of different ways to mount it I could even mount it on my arm or my T7 if I wanted I just strapped it to my helmet quickly for the test. The only way for me to have angled the camera down where it was mounted would to have been to look down.

Cokers, handles, UPDs, and a chicken

I will soon be ordering a Coker once I am sure of everything I want. Iā€™ve decided yes for a brake but am chicken about the handle. Since I donā€™t have an opportunity to try other peopleā€™s unis to decide what I want before I buy, I can only read about and imagine what it would be like.

Were none of you concerned about the handle bars contrubuting to injury in a UPD? I mean the beauty of my 29 with no handle and no gears is that I can go as fast as my legs will pedal, and if I happen to UPD I can still fall of the front with very little risk. 1. because it is not geared so I canā€™t go really fast anyway and 2. because there is nothingā€¦ handle etc to stop me from running it out or hopping off.

I was wondering about the handle situation too. It seems if you fell off youā€™d it hit yourself with it. Although they do look pretty cool instead of holding on to what looks like your crotch.

You do not hurt yourself on the handle if you UPD. I know. I UPD all the time.

I have to be careful about the mounting though. I have caught myself a couple of times - especially at the beginning.

Damn, that looks nice

What a sweet ride! Iā€™d kill to get my hands on one. Too bad my mind is already set on a geared 29erā€¦

I just cant stop drewling, so cool

Edit: Oops, wrong threadā€¦ Still sort of relevant though.

CokerV2.jpg

The handle has been no problem, I will catch myself on the handle on a freemount every-once-in-a-while but no problems, if you find yourself catching on the handle it only takes a few more falls to learn how to avoid the handle, just donā€™t go faster than you know you can go until you are used to falling off. I bought a brake on mine but make sure you mount the lever where it wont hit the ground during a UPD(meaning not on the handle) or assuming you are getting the Magura brake the lever will break. I never used my brake anyway, I wouldnā€™t worry about it and you can always order it later if you feel like you need it.

oooo i got that exact same camera for christmas. idk how to even put it on my helmet.:frowning: ill figure it out :sunglasses:

the little plastic piece with the slits in it you can feed the velcro through the slits and then strap the velcro down through some holes in your helmet.