Blue is the new Black (KH Blue is back)

KH unicles were only available in blue for 15 years and that really had made it their trademark, the few years of black and some red have not left as big of a mark. If you consider production numbers, probably 90% or more of all KH frames produced ever are that shade of blue.

I liked the black and I think offering more than one colour is good, but it’s hard to deny the immediate brand recognition the KH blue frame has.

4 Likes

Fair enough points.
To be honest, one of the reasons I upgraded my 26 inch KH to a titanium frame set was because I didn’t like the colour.
Do I think changing into titanium made a big difference?

I’d have been happy with KH black had the paint work been of the same quality. But the black frames appear painted - and in all honesty the relief they went back to blue (aside from the nostalgia I have as my first nice uni was a blue KH20) was that this blue finish is back to the way it used to be - as in not painted. Power coat I think is the way it is applied or perhaps anodising (can’t remember).

If Nimbus upped the quality of their black coating on their frames then I think it would make for a more premium look.

Aesthetics wise, I think raw metal always wins though so be that Ti or Steel or Flansberrium raw Aluminium - I’d think that looks best / most authentic :yum:

1 Like

It’s powdercoating, which is a fancy way of painting essentially. A powder is sprayed on and then baked, which produces a finish that is typically a bit more durable than paint. I’d be surprised if the black frames were not powdercoated too, but black powdercoat probably just looks less fancy, the black KH frames I’ve seen looked of decent quality and seemed to last ok.

Anodizing produces the kind of colour that you see on Qu-ax RGB and Mad4one frames. The aluminium is put in an acid bath and connected as an anode to electricity, which creates an oxide layer with open pores. Then you can dunk that into dye and seal it to give it colour. The paint is actually inside the metal, which gives it that “metallicy” look.

Most coatings tend to wear of sooner or later with most riders, the wheel being between our legs means that something is likely to rub on the frame somewhere.

Frames on unicycles tend to only make small differences. But titanium looks very nice :wink:

4 Likes

You’re wrong! It has been proven that a Flansberrium frame let’s you ride 10% faster than any other frame :smirk:

11 Likes

Can’t argue against that, Flansberrium unis have 3 world champ titles at last Unicon :wink:

5 Likes

Well I’m so glad to be back riding and to have been able to purchase first my new Black KH19” from OZ.
I was planning to wait until Mid Summer before ordering a new Muni 24”, but because of this post and the return of Blue KH uni’s I have now also ordered and waiting on a new Black KH24” also from Peter in OZ.
This is because I do not like and have never liked the blue shade of KH.
Plus my first KH was when all KH’s were beautiful in black (with the most disgusting crank design I’ve ever seen) so it’s retro to myself.
I understand that you all like the blue colour way, but for myself it clashes with any dressing up colour that I’ll be adding in the future.

@PeterG ,

I am very happy you are back riding again and that you are sharing your experiences here. I’m also very happy that you have found unicycles that you love, and that you don’t feel like you are settling for something you don’t like as well.

2 Likes

The german Qu-ax website is promoting a blue 36 inch KH unicycle with Q-axle and inboard disc right now. But it is labelled as “not available” :smiley:
I haven’t found this one on any other site.
Does anyone has further information about this model?

5 Likes

I’m not too excited about the unicycle, but I am excited about the Spirit Q-Axle. I’ll take some of those for my RGB.

3 Likes

Apparently the page was taken off (in 2 hours!), did they just accidentally leaked something big?

3 Likes

The leak would not be so big. It has been known for at least 9 months that KH was looking for making Qaxle hubs and cranks:

3 Likes

I got the photo, I can share if here

5 Likes

10 Likes

Thanks. Interesting. Since it has a form of Spirit cranks I did wonder if it might somehow have remained disc on crank but no it is inboard which makes sense. I presume still a narrow hub width though.

1 Like

Any idea what kind of rim that is?

It’s QU-AX’s rim.

1 Like

How much,?

MAXENCE: The leak would not be so big. It has been known for at least 9 months that KH was looking for making Qaxle hubs and cranks:

You’re the only one who’s been saying it though :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The only here, on this forum :innocent:
But yes, this rumor may not have spread across the whole community :grin: