Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

Ouch! I’m adding that to my list of reasons to not want to ever use clipless pedals on a unicycle… :astonished:

Infant? I’ve had it a year. SIDS? Recommendations? I guess I have to ship it to Switzerland to find out what’s up…

I guess a lot of people might think that. I did a lot of other stuff a long time ago, but the charity rides were 75 km (earliest in 1980). My longest ride before this one was around Lake Tahoe (72 miles) in 2007.

Thanks everyone for all the kind words!

John, about how many miles on it?

Way to go, John Foss…a great adventure of a ride to add to the list. But I have to say I was surprised to see the post, since I assumed you were on it long ago. I thought you did the full 100 at Tahoe 2007, when much of the crowd was training for the (Alps?) tour. Of course, I lost track of everyone, since I bonked early on the Emerald Bay climb, then took another 12 hours to slog my way through the standard course. There’s something to be said for managing the logistics…when I finally bagged my century, I did it without ever getting more than 3 miles from my house, food supply, and repair shop.

Not that many; probably 1500 or so. Almost exclusively road or easy dirt (I don’t like getting it dirty). Limited amount of hard cranking on trails.

I wasn’t training for a tour. The previous year, my first attempt ended before Kings Beach as my knees were worn out. I didn’t use enough brake on the downhills, and after 33 miles or so I was walking all the downhills, painfully, while riding the uphills. So I was happy to make the 72 in '07. And I am reminded that I did the first half of that ride on a flat air seat!

I’m surprised you didn’t pass me at one of the rest stops. First tried to repair it at the second rest stop, but with no success. Made it to Kings Beach, and master fixer Corbin Dunn was able to find the leak so we could patch it up. Otherwise I wasn’t riding any further! I did the last 25 of my century ride on that same seat, with the same repaired tube in it. :slight_smile:

I know what you mean. That’s the advantage of an organized ride like the Tahoe one; all the food you can eat at the rest stops, as well as crowds of well-wishers, both on bikes and on the sidelines, all along the way. I had to plan my food and supplies for my solo century, and Jacquie was standing by to meet me if necessary anywhere I needed her. It worked well with just the one meeting point, which would have been all I needed were it not for the breakdown. I guess I was very lucky to have the thing break when it did, with a ride home only a few minutes away.

Physical follow-up:
Amazingly, my legs were barely sore at all afterward. I still don’t get it. The ride was very flat, but it was a lot of miles! I think I had a bit of IBS on my left knee, but it’s not bothering me now. I could walk almost completely normally the day afterward, and three days afterward I feel fine. And my crotch had barely any wear & tear! Very different from my 2007 Tahoe ride, where the first 40 miles or so were done on a flat air seat. I had some numbness after that ride that took weeks to go away. I think it helped in this ride that I switched seats, though I wouldn’t choose an air seat for a long ride anymore. The lack of pressure points is great in the short term, but if you don’t stop every 5-10 miles it kills your circulation.

Congratulations as well from my side!

This does not really surprise me. Last year I did 105 miles and a few weeks ago a bit more than 130. Both were flat tours on an ungeared 36". Last year my legs were perfectly fine after the trip. This year the tour was longer and I had to fight strong winds. I could feel some stress to my legs afterwards, but I still perceive this by a long way being rather a mental challenge than a physical one.

Preparation and training have so much to do with it, obviously. But on my century, I found that staying very well hydrated also makes a big difference not only during, but in the hours and days after the ride. My legs also felt good, which was still a surprise since it was my first century, and also being the first rider at my age to complete one in one day, haha. :o

Thanks! I’m not sure why it took me so long to tell the story. I try to not spend too much time on my computer. There is simply too much riding to do. :slight_smile:
All of the stories here are fantastic! Congratulations everyone! I can’t wait to ride my next century!

Hemmm… 100km ride for me!

Little off topic, since my century ride was with the metric system - therefore I of course didn’t add my name to the list.

http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1477014&postcount=5293

But I may come back in a few months with a “true” century ride!!! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Pascal/MadC.

Updated List

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike - Guinness record holder, 6hrs44min, August 1987, 42" wheel with short cranks (no dismounts!)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Erich Bevensee [10/09/10 Chilean/German,45,Ungeared 36"]
Bill “Rhino” Mueller (10/29/10 - 42, 102 miles,10hr.51min.,ungeared 36)
Jeff Chamblee (June 5, 2011, USA, 46, Ungeared 36", 100.2 miles, 14 hrs 15min)
John Foss - 6/12/11, SilvaCycles KH/Schlumpf 36" (76 miles), 2002 Coker Deluxe with 125mm cranks (25 miles)
Jeff Ray 12/26/09 KH 125mm cranks ungeared. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta GA.
Benjamin Richardson 12/28/10 KH 125mm Cranks ungeared - 30 miles of SNOW - I’m claiming to be the first TYPE 1 Diabetic to ride 100 miles (actually clocked 101.1) in a day solo. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA. 13 hours 11 minutes

Here is the updated list. I added my friend Jeff’s name to the list because I rode with him during my first attempt at 100 miles in 2009. He completed the ride and I only made it 89 miles. I had lots of problems with my diabetes that day and did not finish because of it. But I came back and rode the same route a year later solo. Woohoo!

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike - Guinness record holder, 6hrs44min, August 1987, 42" wheel with short cranks (no dismounts!)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Erich Bevensee [10/09/10 Chilean/German,45,Ungeared 36"]
Bill “Rhino” Mueller (10/29/10 - 42, 102 miles,10hr.51min.,ungeared 36)
Jeff Chamblee (June 5, 2011, USA, 46, Ungeared 36", 100.2 miles, 14 hrs 15min)
John Foss - 6/12/11, SilvaCycles KH/Schlumpf 36" (76 miles), 2002 Coker Deluxe with 125mm cranks (25 miles)
Jeff Ray 12/26/09 KH 125mm cranks ungeared. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta GA.
Benjamin Richardson 12/28/10 KH 125mm Cranks ungeared - 30 miles of SNOW - I’m claiming to be the first TYPE 1 Diabetic to ride 100 miles (actually clocked 101.1) in a day solo. SILVER COMET/CHIEF LADIGA Anniston, AL to Atlanta, GA. 13 hours 11 minutes
Andy Moore

Finished the 100 miles in 7 hours and 52 minutes (7 hours and 26 minutes if you don’t count stop time). 2709 ft of climbing. I just took 2 Advil.

Amazing

Nice work Andy. I can’t imagine that kind of speed even without 2700 feet of gain. You should come up and do the Seattle To Portland. It will be too hot to uni in Arizona in July anyway. Again, nice work and congratulations

Thanks! I should mention that this was made possible by my Schlumpf hub. The speed you get on the downhills helps make up for the slow uphills. Seattle to Portland - how far is that? After all this distance riding, I’m ready to get back to doing some muni. But not until I do the 111 mile El Tour de Tucson in 3 weeks.

I should also clarify that I rode down all of those feet too. Actually, I finished about 400ft lower than where I started.

Andy: You are really pretty modest, cool.

I’m not 100% physically and I have to manage a lot of things to go the distance. I sometimes think about all the things we believe just because someone says this or that…like the weatherman… and we believe it will be sunny or rain, and the weatherman is wrong a lot in Seattle.

Everyone believes in something and it is a great feeling to roll out in the morning and believe in yourself and ride out 100 miles on a unicycle. I’m really stoked every time I can finish a Century. Of course you have to show up prepared to roll out 100 miles or it isn’t going to happen no matter what you believe.

7 hours and change to go 100 miles is really impressive. You invested in yourself and showed up ready, and just “crushed” the Century. Nice work.

Good luck with the El Tour de Tuscon 111, I am betting that you finish.

Thanks for your post. Your are so right. I didn’t think a uni century was on my horizon. I got a Schlumpf in my KH36 this August and started to think it was possible. A few months and a thousand miles later and I did it.

I’m sure many have seen this but a friend sent it to me and thought I’d share…Damn, that a long time sitting on a uni…

http://www.cygnus-software.com/papers/stp/index.htm

I should be in great shape for finishing with a good time, as long as I don’t have any mechanical issues and there isn’t major wind.

Congratulations Tucson Uni! I’m so envious! As I’ve had an injury that precluded me from running over the past 3 1/2 months but not riding, I’ve been riding A LOT. So I figured now’s the time to train for and do a 100 miler. Was all set to pull the trigger two weeks ago until a bought of illness struck my wife and then my dog right before my attempt! So I’m still putting in the training and am planning to make my attempt within the next couple of weeks on the Silver Comet - Chief Ladiga paved rail trail that runs between Smyrna, GA and Anniston, AL on my KH24 GUni. Seeing the long list of folks who’ve completed 100 miles on a unicycle is very motivating. Can’t wait to add my name!

Well done Andy! That’s a great ride, and an excellent time. I think it is probably the fastest ever road century (ones done on tracks for record attempts are quite different things).

Can anyone claim a faster (total ride, on roads) time?

Sam