Who has completed a 100 mile ride?

finally on the list…

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Erich Bevensee [10/09/10 Chilean/German,45,Ungeared 36"]
Bill “Rhino” Mueller (10/29/10 - 42, 102 miles,10hr.51min.,ungeared 36)

I did it!

I rode 100.1 miles solo in one day on December 28, 2010. I am a type one insulin dependent diabetic, so it was quite the accomplishment for me. It took me 13 hours and 11 minutes, longer than my goal. I rode from Anniston, Alabama to Atlanta, Georgia along the Cheif Ladiga and Silver Comet trail system. Along the way, I encounter about 30 miles of ice and snow covered trail. It had snowed the week before, but I had assumed that the snow had melted, when in fact some had melted and then refroze, making the conditions really difficult for miles along the foothills along the boarder. Along many parts of the snow covered trail, I had to ride in a tire track outlined by an icy ridge on each side of the track. Needless to say, this slowed me down considerably and resulted in a couple good crashes. The most challenging part of the ride was when at the end my odometer only read 97.1 miles. I turned back down the trail and rode 1.5 miles out and back to complete the 100 mile ride. It would have been so easy to give up at that point and grab a cup of coffee and a hamburger! I also am part of a group called Adventures for the Cure (AFC) and am hoping to inspire some kids with diabetes with my story. http://adventuresforthecure.com/team/mensTeam.html#Ben%20Richardson

Oh, and I also love MUni! Asheville has an awesome festival you should check out.

Cheers!

Benjamin Richardson, Asheville, NC

Fantastic ride Ben, and congrats on your achievement, and doing it for a great cause as well! But since you did it back in late 2010, why did it take you so long to tell us about it? :slight_smile:

Yesterday I did a penta marathon (211 km = 131 miles) in 15:40 on an ungeared 36"/128mm. This was my second century and the first metric double century. :slight_smile:

The trip was about two third on unpaved roads. Initially I considered to attack the 100/10/1 challenge, but due to strong winds I had to let it go. I ended up in a 100/11/1 :wink: At least I still got something to aim for.

Congratulations Cyc on a great ride! That’s a long way and a long time to be riding.

—Nathan

Thanks, Nathan!

I live in Freiburg/Germany and wanted to get to the Europe Bridge, which goes across the river Rhein and connects Strasbourg (France) and Kehl (Germany). Here you can see it on a map (the blue line is from the GPS tracker, which gave up on the way back. I added manually approximately the way back in red where I took a different path).

With this route I wanted to test out my limits. I think it was ideal with respect to a few things: I knew already roughly the first 80 km as well as the last 20 km. Navigation was relatively easy since in general the route follows the river Rhein. Traffic was no issue since almost all roads were not allowed for cars. Also a good thing is that I was always somewhat close to a railway line as a fall back in case of issues with my body or the unicycle. And finally I had a bit of a choice on how to return (as you can see I took a shorter way back, which allowed me to complete the tour - I am sure that otherwise I would not have been able to finish the tour where I had started it).

The downside of the route is that the road conditions were often poor. In addition the tough wind made it very hard to keep the balance between fighting and staying relaxed to be able to keep going for the entire day. Therefore I am convinced that in terms of daily mileage I could push the envelope still a bit further. Two days after the trip those thoughts are coming up again ; ). However finding a suitable tour I am struggling with. As soon as one looks for better road conditions, traffic and navigation become issues. That’s really tricky!

June 5th, 2011

One hundred miles, one day, one wheel, “No water refills for you!”

Maryland, USA: Silver Spring, Bethesda, Georgetown, Great Falls, White’s Ferry and back.

I started the day at my sister’s home in Silver Spring because she is close to the Sligo Creek bike path. From there I took the Capital Crescent Trail to get to the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal where I spent most of the day. More than 70 of the 100 miles were on the C&O Canal towpath.

In my planning I figured that the risk of dehydration would be one of the most significant threats to my success. I have a three-liter Camelbak which is so heavy when full that it makes mounting the unicycle difficult. I figured I should drink between six and nine liters over the 100 mile course. I might not need all that water, but I wanted to have it available in case I felt the effects of dehydration. I had no one with me and no support vehicle, so I was concerned about refilling at the White’s Ferry end of the route. I had researched all the possible water stops along the canal and knew that I would have to travel 20 miles without a chance to refill until I reached White’s Ferry. When I pulled in to this one-store town, I was shocked to see that the store was closed for renovations. The owner of the store was only able to give me one bottle from his personal supply. He also advised me that the park service tested the water fountains at the camp sites yesterday and determined that it was still unsafe (the flooding from two weeks ago had polluted the aquifer). I tried to buy water from the vending machines in front of the store, but they were not working. A family waiting for the ferry took pity on my and gave me two much appreciated-- but small-- bottles.

15 miles later I struck up a conversation with a biker with the ulterior motive of coaxing some water from him. I was successful and was able to get another half liter. 10 miles later I begged a tiny amount of water from other strangers. I was able to get tiny quantities of water but nothing near what I thought would be adequate. When I finally returned to a location with commercial enterprise and a water fountain (Great Falls Tavern, mile 72 for me), I bought two large Gatorades and was able fill up the Camelbak with water. Fortunately the day was fairly cool (high of 80), I was in the shade of the trail, and I needed less water than I expected to.

This is embarrassing to admit, but I took a hard fall from the unicycle at mile 33. I landed on both elbows and a knee and had the blood to prove it. I was just glad that nothing was hurt seriously enough to slow me down.

I had hoped to finish in 11 or 12 hours, but it took me 14 hours and 15 minutes. I was on a 12-hour pace until noon, but as I got tired my pedaling slowed and I needed to take more breaks. The end of the ride was very pleasant, but I was unbelievably tired. I have sores in the place where I sit. My wife, my sister and my brother-in-law were there to meet me as I returned to their home in Silver Spring. My odometer upon arrival reported 100.20 miles traveled. If what I read on the Internet is true, this makes me the 67th person worldwide to ride a unicycle 100 miles in one day.

Here are a few photos that capture the spirit of the day.
https://picasaweb.google.com/112359191603140118424/100MilesOnAUnicycle?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ6pv87mgdq9EA#

Jeff Chamblee, 46 years old. Ungeared 36, 125mm cranks.

Jeff,

Congratulations on completing the ride!

Scott

@Uman: well done!

You are a tough guy, cycling without pros. I had as well one hard crash and I was happy wearing them for my knees and ellbows.

Congratulations Jeff. Now you need to update the list with your name on it.

Claude

The great falls part of the C&O canal is quite nice. Congrats on joining the 100 mile club!

Thanks for the kind words guys. Here’s the updated list:

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike (record holder 6hrs44min)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Jeff Chamblee (June 5, 2011, USA, 46, Ungeared 36", 100.2 miles, 14 hrs 15min)

This is a great list and I am proud to be on it, but it doesn’t tell the stories behind the rides. Jack Hughes 125 miles on a 24’ old-school, Sam no dismounts Wakeling, Floyd Beattie - what year was that?! Etc etc - many of these rides were truly amazing. I’m glad the thread is still active.

—Nathan

John Foss finally did it!

Peter Bier
David Stone
Roger Davies
Alan Chambers
Steve Colligan
Mark Wiggins
Takayuki Koike - Guinness record holder, 6hrs44min, August 1987, 42" wheel with short cranks (no dismounts!)
Lars Clausen
Ken Looi
Floyd Beattie
Johnnie Severin
Cathy Fox
Bruce Dawson
Jack Hughes
Dan Heaton
Scot Cooper
Sam Wakeling
Chuck Edwall
Joe Marshall
John Himsworth
Gracie Sorbello
Rowan Chivers
Tony Melton
Tim Lee
Joe Lind
Rob Muellerleile
Irene Genelin
Beau Hoover
Nathan Hoover
Mike Scalisi
Ryan Woessner
?~Xivind Johansen
Kjetil Juul Pedersen
James Amon
Leif Rustvold
Max Taint
Mark Osmundo
Mike Tierney
Joseph Sherman
Roland Kays
Claude Magnuson
Jan Logemann
Zeke Boisei
Paul Stacey
Joe Myers
Matthew Huber
Tom Blackwood
Sid Rajan
Dave Cox
Matthiew Rojda
Kevin Williams
Jack Olsen
Monty McFly
Matt Thomas
Geoff Houghton
Svein Petter Vangsoy
Frank Brown
Terry Peterson
Dan Hansen
David Smith
Philip Schleihauf
Frank Dugrillon
Jeff Chamblee (June 5, 2011, USA, 46, Ungeared 36", 100.2 miles, 14 hrs 15min)
John Foss - 6/12/11, SilvaCycles KH/Schlumpf 36" (76 miles), 2002 Coker Deluxe with 125mm cranks (25 miles)

The story:
The original plan was to do America’s Most Beautiful Bike Ride, Century option (around Lake Tahoe) on June 5. But the weather forecast was cold with a major chance of rain (or snow) so I bailed. I later found out I missed out on a deluge of hail on the Spooner climb around 3:00pm–about when I might have been there.

That said, I’ve transferred my registration to an around-Tahoe ride (72 miles) on Sept 11. If you’d like to join me go to www.bikethewest.com to register! There are 2000 spots.

I didn’t want my training to go to waste, so I devised the “Greater Sacramento Bike Path Century Tour”. I would ride various bike paths, to Elverta, Davis, and even Folsom until it added up to 100 miles.

But if you noticed above, I used two different unicycles. This was not pre-planned. At mile 76, just after leaving from Jacquie, who had re-supplied me at a Costco along the bike path, I went to jump on the Schlumpf and the hub failed. Ugly sounds, and the wheel kept stopping. Unrideable! I managed to call Jacquie before she’d gotten too far towards home, to come back for me. Then we returned to the house, where I would hop on my old Coker to finish out the ride.

It’s great to have spares! But oops, the last person to use my old Coker was Zack Baldwin, in the recent Auburn Criterium race. I had swapped out the seat and removed the handlebar. Noooo! Can’t ride another 25 miles with no handlebar! So I had to re-assemble it to my old, RTL setup, and complete my longest-ever ride in low gear. My knees weren’t prepared for this, but I had been taking my glucosamine tablets and I survived. Toward the end, my calves were twinging and wanting to cramp up, and my left knee was occasionally going out of alignment, or something; threatening to do what my Schlumpf hub did.

Yes, my mileage totaled 101. I did this on purpose to make sure there was at least 100 “good” miles in there, as it was measured by my Garmin 305. That last mile involved going around the block a few times. :slight_smile:

Route:
My house to the American River Bike Path, at William Pond Park. Follow this to the split with the Sacramento North Bike Path (which I’d never been on). This one goes north to Rio Linda and Elverta. I rode that one to the end, then turned around. Rejoining the American River Bike Path, I continued toward downtown Sacramento. This ends where you can cross the river into West Sacramento. Several miles along West Capitol Ave. brings you to a bike path that follows Interstate 80 toward Davis. Followed that to Davis, and then rode around the UC Davis campus and various bike paths there. Stopped to eat the sandwich I’d been carrying since 6:00am. I finished that around 11:00am. It was mile 51.

Then I headed back to Sacramento, and returning on the American River Bike Path. I arranged to meet Jacquie at the Costco, where she brought me fresh, cold water, a bottle of PowerAde, and more snacks. Lunch #2. Just after that, the Schlumpf hub failed. I was very lucky to be right near access off the bike path, and minutes from getting Jacquie back. But I still lost about an hour and 45 minutes before I was back on the road.

Again from the house, back down to the American River Bike Path and then turned left toward Folsom. The objective was to ride 12.5 miles and turn around. Notice how the miles keep getting longer, like they’re stretching out, toward the end? Or maybe this was because I no longer had a high gear. I went all the way to the Sac State University Aquatic Center at Lake Natoma. This is where the rowing events will be if San Francisco ever wins their bid for the Olympics.

Total Elapsed Time: Just under 12.5 hours inclusive. Actual riding time much less. It was not a race.

Advice:
If you’re going to use two unicycles for your century, try to use the non-geared one first, followed by the geared one. It’ll be much easier on your muscles & joints! :slight_smile:

Photos: My Garmin watch after the ride, and me with my two steeds; Schlumpf on the left, and trusty old Coker on the right. And little Cecilia getting into the picture too.

1 Like

Nice that you finished!

I know how discouraging a Schlumpf hub with ugly sounds can be. A locked up wheel can be difficult to ride. I was using clipless SPD.

Congratulations

Nicely done UMan and John Foss.

This may not be what you want to think about right now, but you are both in prime shape for the STP (Seattle To Portland) July 9 and 10, 2011.

Way to go John - that’s quite a story and quite a ride. I hope you get the Guni back running again soon. That’s a shame - infant mortality?

—Nathan

Yeah John, you are the man. Congrats on achieving your goal! That is a good long day, way to go.

Congrats John Foss. I be wantin’ to add my name to this list. Hopefully this year.

Congrats John! For some reason I thought you had done one a long time ago. Way to go man! :smiley: