Weight Saving Affecting Trials

bump.

Okay, so you think your performance will improve if you lighten your unicycle?

If that’s the case, then lifting a lighter barbell will also improve your weight lifting performance, right?

Wrong!

You need to build strength and flexibility in order to improve your performance. If you are serious about your sport, then you need to do workouts OFF the unicycle in order to improve your performance ON the unicycle.

Look on the web for training tips used by athletes to increase their vertical leap: http://verticaljumptraining.com/15/3-plyometric-exercises-to-increase-your-vertical-leap/

Also start working on developing your muscles with weight training.

If you want a lighter uni, look first at your body. If you are overweight, consider how losing weight on your uni is the same as losing weight on your body. If you could lose ten pounds from your body, think of how that would improve your performance over losing a pound on the uni.

Losing weight and body building is also cheaper and more fulfilling that spending money on your uni :wink:

Tell us, Nurse Ben, how did your trials riding improve with a strength and flexibility-oriented workout? What increases did you see in your sidehop and your rolling hop? How long did you do practice trials before incorporating this cross-training into your routine?

I’ve been going to the gym now for about 3 months training for a higher vertical jump and I think i’ve gained almost 10cm on my feet. My uni sidehops are getting higher too but i can’t tell if it’s from the weightlifting. Weightlifting transfers better to bike trials because you have to squat down (preload) before you sidehop. Even if my sidehops haven’t improved from the training i definately feel alot stronger, my balance has improved and I can ride twice as much without getting tired.

@nurseben
your comparison of a lighter barbell not increasing performance for weightlifting is stupid. We are not trying to add weight to our unicycles… By making the unicycle lighter everything becomes easier therefore increasing performance. Heres a test, go outside and touch the highest you can on a wall when you jump. Now do it again but with 1kg, bet the 2nd jump took more effort. If you don’t think weight saving increases jump height then why are the worlds best trials bikers saving weight wherever they can.

BUT @trueuni
Don’t think the performance increase is massive, sure you can get better but take it slowly and enjoy riding. The best thing by far for improving your trials is by riding alot and working on technique.

If your aim is to lift the weight, then yes.

Though I’m guessing that following that analogy you’re suggesting we should get heavier unis for training our trials skills?

Not bad :wink:

It is so light it is unfunny, my skill level is far from great but SI jumps are easier and I can effortlessly tuck it up now, maybe it is all a placebo effect but I will happily take it :stuck_out_tongue:

Spinning the uni is also easier.

I did this all because I could and wanted to not to gain 2’ on my jump height

build thread

Not stoopid if you understand the context, so it seems like you missed it :roll_eyes:

You want to go higher and faster, yet the focus is on “grams” which are small peanuts in contrast to losing “pounds” by dieting or “gaining pounds” of strength/flexibility by training.

Granted, taking weight off your uni is easier mentally and quicker physically than training or dieting, but you’ll see far more improvement with training in the end.

I have trained on and off over the years, I am quite flexible now compared to when I was younger (teens), pre-martial arts I could hardly touch my toes, now I can flat hand the ground and kick over my head, all without doing regular stretching in years.

OT: Mestro drive a Prius and pulls half a camper, so he gets jealous easilly, just ignore him, it won’t make him go away, but it’s the right thing to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Just what I expected to hear. You’re becoming too predictable, Ben.

Maestro, I’m not entirely sure how to help you, but here’s a suggestion:
www.absexuality.com

Back on topic…

So has anyone tried riding an Impact saddle for muni?

I’m curious if it would be comfortable. Is the profile of the base an Impact design or is it based off the KH/Nimbus?

I changed to a KH slim for MUni as the heavily padded Freeride was chaffing me to bits, it has helped with that and while I don’t find it too uncomfortable I have narrow hips so all seats are too wide and cause me a little grief.

Anyway I also bought and impact Naomi for my trials which has the old domed nut base (original KH one I believe) I ripped this out and put in a UDC CF base. The foam is about 10mm thinner than the Slim and I find it a little less square at the edges than as well so am keen to get another one for my MUni but at £45 for the base and also the Seat (only to junk the base) £90 all in is a lot but it is comfy in a slender bike saddle kind of way and only 630g!!!

I wish I could get something narrower for my girly pelvis width

So basically it is the same KH shape just different foam, there are a few people who rock it for distance and XC riding

Then don’t. You’re only making a fool of yourself.

Nicer to ride on than the KH Slim (or Freeride) you reckon? Maybe that’s what I need then - ignoring the cost - as I also like narrow bike saddle (I have SI SLRs on my race bikes) and find my current uni saddles too wide and square at the edges. Had originally been thinking about a Naomi for use on my muni (and road uni) given reports, but then decided I was going to want to add a handle in the longer term which ruled that out, as I didn’t want to get used to a saddle and then have to switch. Presumably I could spread the expense by getting a Naomi now and only upgrading the base when I wanted to add a handle? Is the base switch straightforward - I’d not heard before that you could put a new KH base in a Naomi?

I should just get on with buying a different saddle to try (or at least trying the Nimbus Flat I own on the muni I suppose!) Would have bought a KH Street to try if they had any of the new models in stock in the UK - given this year’s “summer” I’m just not keen on a cover which absorbs water. But now I’m changing my mind again…

All the saddle basis are the same as far as I am aware (curve wise) and the level of center padding flattens it out, the street (which I also have) is thinner than the free ride with the slim being slimmer still and the Impact being about 10mm all the way over so it seems to be more curved.

I also run SI SLR saddles and am used to sitting on a 135g razor blade so I have always struggled with Uni saddles, unfortunately all the slimmer saddles are the same width but the more padding the saddle has the more it bulges out the sides wen you put your weight on it making it wider (and causing me chaffing issues). Measuring the Impact it is 14cm at the wides point and 8 cm where your thighs sit above the post, which is exactly the same as the Impact

The Impact also has a vinyl cover which like you I prefer to the rough fabric ones

You could indeed get the impact now and the CF base later when you want to get a handle, the CF base is incredibly stiff and will loses you a lot of weight. There are a few guides using carriage bolts or flanged nuts but I used T-nuts from B&Q, flattening the spikes (meant for wood) and use 2 part adhesive yo bond then to the seat. I can do a fuller right up as it was a bit of a pain to do

It is hard to tell from these pics but you can see the effect the extra center padding has on the curve shape and also how the Impact rolls off more on the sides where as the Slim is squarer. The very front and rear of both saddles seem to be padded to the same thickness but it is the center area that has the difference.

Hope this helps

saddles_back.JPG

I’ve heard that the koxx-ones are thin. Sorry, not the spirits.

koxx ones are thin too. If you want to do flat get some rollo disks

What uni setup do you have right now? Do you have one multi-purpose uni or multiple for different styles? I think If I might get into flat in the future but am still doing trials atm I should get some spirits. Am I right? The moments are pretty wide and flat worthy. Are the spirits thin?

I think you’re worrying a bit too much. Just get yourself a unicycle and see how it works for you.

Everyone has their own size, style, taste, etc… it’s not like there’s some magic unicycle that’s gonna make you ride like a pro out of the box. Start with something basic and build it up as it suits you.

You’re not going to learn as much by making a bunch of posts on the Internet as you would by riding a unicycle and trying different parts on your own.

I think spirits with rollos are just as good as moments with rollos. I don’t ride flat but i know alot of people that do and they found the spirits were fine for rolls and they flipped faster.

Yeah I know, I already have a Nimbus Trials. Just trying to see what other peoples setups are like and what parts are good or not. And no, i’m not looking for a “magic uni” thats gonna make me ride pro. I started this thread

asking a question: “will weight saving affect my trials at all?” as Nimbuses are heavy. I was seeing what you guys thought of my decisions and if they were worth it or not. It seems as if everyones trying to save weight to help

them improve so I thought this would be the right decision. That being said, I’m not expecting to be a lot better from changing parts either. This thread has grown to other questions though as you can see. I’m just trying to learn

the ropes. I assure you I practice thoroughly every day. I actually haven’t changed my setup since I got my uni. I guess I’m just trying to make the right decisions.

And sorry Mike if I’m bombarding you with questions. Its just that i’m a huge fan and I know you have a lot of experience in the sport so I’m kind of turning to you for advice :slight_smile:

Thanks for the info - in a way that’s a potential downside, as I was keen on trying a KH Street because it’s less curved than the Nimbus saddles. Actually I think what I really need to try ASAP is putting my Nimbus Flat saddle on the muni - it’s probably got a fairly similar shape to the Naomi. The main reason I haven’t yet to be honest is that I like it so much on my 19er, and I’m not that keen on putting a Nimbus Gel on that instead.