Ursli-bar

As far as I know, no one had problems with over tightening. It’s a bit tricky to mount it with the bolt we deliever the bar (depends on the saddle). Longer bolts in the front helps :slight_smile:

On this saddle I prefer to use the Ursli-Bar showing up (turned up side down), but you will see what ever works for you

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply!

As this small / short bar had no upward angle I didn’t think there was a “way” to mount it.

I am however very tempted now to test a long version :smile:

my bad, I thought it is a long one :slight_smile: of course you are right, the short one has no angle.

2 Likes

You can add some spacers to clear the ridge at the front. You can also use this to do some minor changes to the angle of the handle.
I have the KH reinforcement plate next to the saddle and some (very hard) plastic spacers on top, one extra at the front to have a bit more downwards angle. This is on a KH fusion one (and an M4O extension)

4 Likes

How do you bend aluminum tubing? I could not do it with such a small radius. Could someone please shed some light? Thanks!

Tube bender ideally if you want to invest in a Piece of equipment or fill tube with water duct tape ends to seal and freeze. Put in vise and slowly begin to bend. I would practice this technique on some scrap. First. Use an oversized piece for leverage then cut down.

filling the tube with sand is much easier than freezing water

Find a friendly local plumber who’ll help you.

or even better: just buy our original Ursli-Bar! We put money and effort in this until we came up with the final product. And you do something good: you support our local unicycling club with 50 members (mostly kids):
https://www.ursli.li/shop/

12 Likes

I can confirm this is by far the easiest and cheapest way. Got mine in the mail this week and did two rides. It’s near perfect. I built my own handle this summer, and while it came out nicely, it cost hundreds in testing and iterations. Skip that stuff.

5 Likes

Thanks @bug72, @aj1500. I am sure ice/sand would work with steel tubing. But I doubt that they would work on thick-walled aluminum (e.g. 6061) tubing, especially if you want to bend into small radius like the ursli bar.

Thanks @Dino, but most plumber works on small diameter thin wall copper pipes.

@anon727874 @turtle, ursli bar is very nice but I want to try some different design.

Can someone who actually bend 6061 tubing shed some light? Thanks!

You need a tubing bender or take it to a metal fabrication business that has one and pay them to do it.

Or one of these

Probably not worth it for a one off. This one is $150 at harbor freight.

Here is a video on bending “annealed aircraft aluminum”. Not as sharp as on the Ursli-Bar.

I have not had problem bending steel tubing but not tried aluminum.

@JimT Thanks for the video. I think annealing is what I was missing. Without it the tubing cracks. Also heat treatment after the annealing is needed to bring back the strength. Not sure if that is done for the ursli bar/handle saddle. @turtle?

@Bug72 I had the harbor freight bender, but it doesn’t have the correct die. The Eastwood bender is nicer, but need to find correct die also.

1 Like

We make them ourself as I wrote above. I wont tell you how we do it. I love the uni-community alot, I think I also do a lot for the community, but I don’t tell you how we make our Ursli-Bar

9 Likes

I took your advice with some 5mm nylon spacers and longer M6 bolts.

40mm x 2 at the front with 2 x 5mm spacers in each
35mm x 2 on rear with 1 x 5mm spacers in each.

This gives the tilt downwards which I believe is my preference. We’ll see!

I’ve then covered the bar with small rubber strips cut from an old bar grip wrapped round with black hockey tape. Nice to work with and cheap.

Then I fixed the starting end of a real leather strip with a tab of hockey tape and went on winding it all the way around under tension all the way.

Final end finishing again with a small round of hockey tape.

On top of the two ends I’ve then wrapped some of the self fusing rubber tape I’ve seen recommended here - and it is ace. Feels nice as secure.

I’ve also added a few rounds of this on the dead centre of the bar for abrasion wear from UPDs - but the leather is mainly exposed as I find this the nicest material to grip and feel, and from my time with the handle saddle I find it pretty hard wearing too.

Final bottom right photo shows the results with the leather wound round.

And this is the angle achieved and overall look :star_struck:

6 Likes

Totally understand. No need to justify it.

1 Like

Does the brake lever position suits you? I’ve a solution for a centered brake lever with slightly downwards tilted bar. You can use a 2-bolt reversed brake lever support - the one Qu-ax sells for example. So instead of the support pointing backwards, it points forwards. As it measures some millimeters, it should give you a similar tilt!
I find this lever position way better than the lever-on-bar position - but that’s a personal preference :slight_smile:

Well I think that everyone that own a brake lever support will use it that way with an ursli bar if they brake alternating hands.

I never set it up directly on the ursli bar due to prefer hand swapping while riding or 2 hands on the bar

2 Likes

I love to have the brake direct on the ursli bar. with the quax brake lever support, it gets to far away from my fingers. i mostly use the right hand for braking where of course i mounted the brake, but it’s also possible to brake with the left hand like this (all my unis with the ursli-bar):

2 Likes