Ursli-bar

I have the 24cm Urslibar on my quax eleven seat and like it a lot.

At 220 lbs I couldn’t get used to the handle saddle, it was a bone shaker seat for me.

3 Likes

Try the air saddle cover was $50 when I bought mine . It i s very comfortable, I have mine over a KH street saddle, with reinforcement plate and KH T bar.

My KH fusion one has an inbuilt reinforcement plate. It’s stiff as hell with the ursli bars; I don’t really feel any flex. Compared to the stock nimbus stadium, the lack of flex in the KH was night and day. I’m practicing hopping these days, and the saddle’s stiffness does inspire confidence.

1 Like

@Quax1974 are you saying the handle saddle is too stiff? How does it compare with your current setup? (I’m asking because if I do another build, I’d like to try the handle saddle)

Do you mean you’ve added the reinforcement plate?

The saddle itself doesn’t have any reinforcement plate in it as standard, but it does support the KH plate.

I used to ride the Fusion Zero without reinforcement and didn’t notice any huge amount of flex (even though the base itself was slightly more flexible), but the plate definitely helped stiffen things up a bit moving to the Fusion One.

The stiffness is great it is just the shape / thickness of the padded area that does not work for me.

After a while it just gets to painfull, not due to chafing but my behind / sitting bones just hurt.

Using long Ursli-Mad4one extension with a Fusion one on a 36". It feels good quite stiff even without any plate. I can confirm that KHfusion one is stiffer than a lot of other saddle.

However the complete Handle Saddle itself is the stiffer (29" muni with medium handle saddle base)

1 Like

I rode a Fusion Zero with a T-bar for years. I always noticed a little bit of flex but not enough to bother me. I switched to an Ursli bar and was surprise at how much stiffer it was. I guess the flex came from the T-bar. The Fusion Zero / Ursli bar combination feels very solid without a stiffener plate.

My problem with the Fusion Zero is that it has a ridge for stiffness round the bottom of the base. You have to mount the Ursli bar on the ridge, which makes it stick out at a lower angle than is comfortable for me. I ended up switching to a Nimbus saddle because it doesn’t have the ridge at the front. The bar comes out at the same angle as the nose of the saddle.

1 Like

Yeah agreed.

I haven’t played around with this, but you could possibly get some longer bolts and a combination of metal sleeves/washers/nuts at a hardware store, and adjust the angle of the Ursli bar by changing the stack height between the bar and saddle.

I’ma big fan of the Ursli bars in general, but I haven’t experimented much with it because it’s such a pain to put on. (I bought them recently, and the holes on the 24cm only align with the saddle if you squeeze the bars together.)

2 Likes

Team Ursli members are riding the Ursli bar long and short version since about two years with all kind of saddles. For us it is usually easy to put it on (it holds without washers and loctite), never lost a screw, never had any other problems. I still ride the long version for muni on the kh zero saddle, works perfect for me

3 Likes

Just added a M4O 24cm Ursli to my QX Eleven saddle on my 36"
I really like it so far. I also own a M4O Handle Saddle “medium” that I also like and have mounted on my 27.5" Muni. The QX Eleven+bar seems to be slightly more comfortable for me.

I assume it’s a similar “ridge” that exists on the QX Eleven (as seen in picture below). But here I think it actually improves the angle because the seat is banana shaped and not flat like the Zero.

I also own a (old?) KH reinforcement plate but that seems to be a poor fit for the QX Eleven as the holes do not align. I think it is possible to make it fit but it will require some force and to me it seems like the QX Eleven is very stiff even without the plate (maybe due to the “ridge”) so for now the reinforcement plate will stay in the parts bin.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Hammer! I got my Ursli bar yesterday and have only barely tested it, but it seems very nice and solid. I attached mine on my QX Eleven with a KH reinforcement plate:

It was a bit fidgety, and I had to bend the Ursli bar slightly, but it seems rock solid. Can’t wait to try it outdoors!

4 Likes

I just need to follow up on this thread. I’ve tested my Ursli bar on a few muni trails now, and I couldn’t be happier! It’s sturdy and rigid, yet light, it’s simple, yet offers all the hand positions I could ask for. At first I was sceptical about having the brake lever tilted, but to my surprise I get a better control over the brake lever than I ever got on my KH T-bar.

Highly recommended!

3 Likes

Does anyone here tried mounting the brakes in between the two bolts? There’s just enough space to do it. That setup moves the brake lever further back, in a position more similar to a traditional brake lever. I’ve been trying it for the past week, but I haven’t made up my mind yet.

Not sure that what you mean, but I have used a 2-bolt brake lever mount - Qu-ax or Nimbus, I don’t remember - to fit my brake:

I had to reverse it so that the lever can be held while having the hands on the bar. I don’t think it would fit in the traditional direction as the space between the bars is much narrower there.
I find this set-up to be better than the one provided by Mad4One.

I don’t see any issue in mounting a brake lever between the mounting screws as long as you use appropriate spacer (and longer screws) to make appropriate clearance for the brake mount and the edges of the saddle (left and right).
However personally think it would put the brake to close to the saddle for my liking.

I have a KH Fusion One and a QX Eleven (and a few others). If you want me to try the setup on one specific saddle I can try to mount it on and take a picture if you like. I have the short (24cm) Ursli bar.

3 Likes

Oh wow I didn’t think you could use the brake mount in this way. @Hammer actually showed the mounting position I was describing. I have been trying that position for the last week, but I’m not sure if I’ll keep it in that position. @Maxence are you able to position the 2-bolt brake mount further back, or is that the only position possible? Can you still grip onto the bottom part of the bars in the setup pictured?

I don’t think I could put the 2-bolt brake mount further back. There are two issues:

• the brake mount I use is designed to fit the 2 front holes of the seat and the 2 other holes are further from each other so it won’t fit;
  • there’s not a lot of space between the 2 ends of the bar: the brake mount fits between the bars when it’s in the 2 front holes but I think there is not as much place as needed in the 2 back holes.

By the way, the first point could be solved by using a reversed 4-bolt KH brake mount but the second point would probably still be an issue.

I can’t grip onto the bottom part of the bars either. But I really don’t mind as this setup seems perfect - at least for my riding style.
There’s also another limitation: if your brake lever is too large, it won’t fit between the bars. If you look at mine, you can see it is slightly twisted because the bars prevent me from putting it straight. That’s not an issue there, but it could be depending on the brake and/or the riding style and/or the size of the rider’s hands.

1 Like

Until the Ursli Bar is back in stock at mad4one, we are back in production, place your order here:

https://www.ursli.li/shop/

8 Likes

First test / taste - it’s going to be great.

Sadly I stupidly cross treaded one of the rear bolts as I did find it a bit fiddly to mount. Then had to over tighter that bolt to get it in and it pushed the saddle nut into to saddle. Managed to rescue it - and it does hold now but I panicked for a moment - thinking I’d messed up my nice almost new Fusion One.

LBS gave me longer 35mm M6 bolts which helped with the front bolt holes given the ridge and angle.

Not using washers at this stage and have managed to get them all down tight.

Do people think there’s any risk of over tightening them? Especially the from two bolts - given there is a gap to the sockets / nuts from the ridge.

It feels pretty strong but I did worry that the saddle nuts could be pulled out of the the saddle base. Doesn’t look like it can but it occurred to me.

Hockey tape pending

2 Likes