Ursli-bar

Does everybody but me own a Hatchet?.. :disappointed:

I do not own a Hatchet either but I have to confess that I have a FAT-berrium :rofl:

3 Likes

Is there a way to fit it onto a KH Fusion one?

For the compatibility of your saddle, there is a picture of the position of the screws.
The same as further up in this thread.

Tested and it fits good!

Does any one have a recommendation for preventing the bolts on an Ursli-bar from coming loose?

I bought a used Ursli-bar and mounted it to an older KH Fusion Street saddle. I love riding with the bar, but I am finding that the bolts quickly begin to come loose, even during a very short riding session.

Is it just a matter of loctite, or perhaps applying way more torque while tightening down the bolts?

I am also considering using lock washers under the bolt heads, but it already looks like the bolt heads are cutting into the Ursli-barā€™s aluminum tubing, so I am hesitant about over-torquing or using lock washers. I imagine both of those approaches may further chew through the aluminum.

Not sure if there are any Ursli-bar or Mad-extension users out there who might have also run into this problem and found a good solution.

1 Like

Blue locking compound would be my first recommendation to try.

Itā€™s worth having some around for other threads even if it doesnā€™t fix this issue.

3 Likes

Something you have to consider with locking washers is whether theyā€™ll actually do anything when tight. The bent single split spring washers are just a normal washer once theyā€™re fully compressed, so only actually help a little once your bolt has come loose.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll begin with the caveat that I have never seen one of these and I donā€™t know what is inside your saddle, so I could be totally wrong here.

However my gut feeling is that there will always be a problem with the bolts slackening with this. A thin round aluminium tube with that leverage with fixings relatively close looks like it would be a problem. It looks like the tubes are plugged to stop them deforming but the bolts are also onto a round surface, and it looks like the holes may be too big. Likewise it is straight onto the plastic of the seat by the looks of things, and I suspect the captive nuts are just into the plastic internally. So I think youā€™ll get enough ā€˜wiggleā€™ to slacken the bolts just by the application of forces both up and down and sideways on the end of the handle.

I think your idea of putting something like a ā€˜starā€™ washer in that will cut into the aluminium a bit would be a good idea. Iā€™d also be tempted to ā€œflattenā€ the tube a bit so you have a greater bearing surface both under the heads of the screws and also where the tube sits on the plastic (that that is probably much less of an issue though). Depending on what it looks like I might also file a flat under the screw heads so they sit better. A proper sized washer might also help a bit with the size of the holes given they look too big (going by the one at the top of your second picture where you can see the edge of the hole).

2 Likes

We are using it since more then a year, real hard alpin muni riding. No problems so far, we only had a broken seatpost :smiley:

2 Likes

@turtle Do you use any loctite on the bolt threads? Or, perhaps any washers (such as lock washer) to keep the bolts from turning?

Everyone, thanks for the ideas.

I tried some blue loctite and put some washers under the bolt heads (not locking washers, but small smooth washers just to provide a slightly larger contact area and to prevent the bolt heads from digging further into the aluminum bar).

I just rode a couple miles and so far no loose bolts. Time and additional miles will tell, but so far, so good. Prior to the loctite, these bolts would have come loose on that ride.

3 Likes

Locking them down with safety wire may be an option if that does not work out.

2 Likes

Stiffen the saddle up with a plate to prevent twisting and torquing then blue locktight. Oh yah are your bolts long enough?

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for a solid handlebar for muni, and the M4O Ursli bar looks perfect. I canā€™t decide on which of the 24cm or 34cm to get, though. Are those measurements of the entire bar, or just the part sticking out from the seat? If itā€™s the former then 24cm sounds tiny, maybe itā€™s just for trials? @MAD4ONE?

Either way, pictures of peopleā€™s Ursli bar setups, including brake mounts, would be highly appreciated!

First of all I would try the M40 handlesaddle of your friend Ruari. Im not sure but I think he has the M version. Decide if it is ok or to short. Than I would consider the M4O ā€žUrsliā€œ bar, but be sure it isnt as stiff as the original handlesaddle. For adding a brake attach it directly to the bar.

I have one of the original Ursli bars. Not made by M4O, but one of the originals sold through ursli.li

Mine is roughly 34 cm end-to-end for the entire bar.

@ccola has a shorter version that he bought from M4O and uses on his muni. I believe his is the 24 cm version. Based on the grip space available on his, I am guessing it is 24 cm end-to-end for the entire bar, not just the grip area.

Hereā€™s my 24cm @sedelmeyer mentioned (pictured on a 29er). It is 24cm end to end. Itā€™s long enough to have two to three hand positions. The only time I want a more stretched out position (that is, more than 24cm) is when Iā€™m on smooth asphalt, otherwise 24cm suffices for Muni. The whole setup is one of the cleanest-looking ones, compared to the T-bars, Quax, or even the handle-saddle with the brake mount.

4 Likes

I have borrowed @ruariā€™s and tested it on some short rides. He has the long one, which is too long for muni (but seems nice for road). Iā€™m leaning towards the Ursli bar though, because I like my QX Eleven saddle, and I havenā€™t been able to adjust to the tiny handlesaddle seat. Iā€™m not saying I would never be able to adjust to it, but going for the Ursli bar seems less risky (and more affordable).

Thanks for the picture and the info! I agree itā€™s neat and clean, just like I want it. (OT: Whatā€™s that thing above your mudguard?)

Seems like @sedelmeyer isnā€™t using a reinforcement plate, are you @ccola?

1 Like

Thatā€™s correct. I am not using a reinforcement plate. I bought this old KH Street saddle used this summer to try it out (my uni had an old viscount saddle on it before getting my Ursli bar).

Thereā€™s enough flex in the KH Street saddle that Iā€™d want a reinforcement plate long term for this particular saddle/Ursli combination. However, I donā€™t find the KH Street saddle itself comfortable, and Iā€™ll likely be replacing it with a KH Fusion One over the winter. So, I havenā€™t wanted to spend money on for a reinforcement plate that I might only use for a couple months. The Ursli bar however, is fantastic! I canā€™t imagine liking any other bolt-on handlebar more than this. Itā€™s simple, solid, and offers plenty of hand positions.

If I remember correctly, @ccola has found the Fusion One to be far more rigid when using the Ursli, even without a reinforcement plate (which he didnā€™t have last time we rode together). But, @ccola can chime in about his own experience with it :wink:

1 Like