Trials Discussion Thread

here’s a bit longer trials course…

Edited after the complaints from the last one I drew.

Got a 83cm hop yesterday.
And today I got a 79cm static hop (hop without a prehop).
Also working on more technique stuff like skinnie hops etc.
Oh, and I totaly love 140mm cranks.
They realy give you great balance and much torque.

Peter M

hmm, I would replace some of the stumps with itsy bitsy hopping posts… would add a whole now challenge.

also, maybe instead of 4 steps just have two and have to hop higher?

geared trials uni

wouldnt it be cool if they made a geared trials uni?
then it wouldnt take forever to get to the places to do stuff at.
where i live i gotta ride a half mile up town and i go so slow.

just a thought

sutton629 - I think the boxes, esp the taller ones would need more cross bracing.

replace the tree stumps w/ various height Hopping posts
Unicycletips.com - Hoppin Posts

Two posts w/ a 2x4 on its end connecting the two could make a good highish stand alone skinny (too high and you’d need a really big base).

Well, there is the KH ISIS geared hub now. I wouldnt do anything larger than 6 feet on it, but that allows for a lot of the trials lines people do.

Which pedals are the best for trial i was thinking about:
the wellgo MG-1 pedals
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=754
or
the gusset slim jim magnesium pedals
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=868

I have see many photos of broken wellgo’s MG-1
but i don’t now anything about the gusset slim jim mag pedals.

Or should i get other pedals for trial??

plzzzz give me more information about which pedals i should get.

I think all magnesium pedals are pretty easy to break, even without pedal-grabs.

And if you do pedal-grabs on stone, it’s no-go.

I’m not sure why everyone thinks mag pedals are fragile.

My DK distortions have literally been ground down from rocks and from countless drops and crashes ect, and they are still going fine.

-Miles

How much do you weigh again? Surely that plays atleast a minor role in it.

well I weigh 90 pounds.

I’m not attesting to the strength of the pedal spindle, I’m attesting to the durability of the magnesium.

speaking of magnesium… I’m getting a DOB magnesium rim to go with my 32 hole hub protoype, lightest trials wheelset ever, anyone? :smiley: hehehe I’ll hopefully get to test these out sometime in september, thanks to Midwest Bike trials http://www.midwestbiketrials.com/ I hope it works as well as I want it to. There is only 1 downside to the rims, they’re 44mm wide instead of 47mm, but I think the weight savings should make up for it. I’ll use a stripped kh frame and thomson masterpiece/swallis setup with it.

does anybody have advice on how to do a 180 unispin or unihop or whateve its called

that should help a little bit, i cant unispin, ive researched and researched, it just takes the thinking of to hell with it, just get out there and do it once you know whats involved in it. i nutted my last unispin… havent done one for half a year lol

lol yeah my freind doesnt even wanna try and last time i tryd i thought i like died from hitting them i gotta get betta at SIF so i can land it

Because I’ve got a pair, I rode them for a less than a week, took out a few pins and chipped them in a couple of places. My riding wasn’t hard at all, I was just getting used to my new uni.

I used these pedals.

Been riding my DX for a little less than a month

I can jump off a picnic table, jump off the table onto the bench onto the ground and am getting pretty good at wheel walking and skinnies XD XD XD

Anyways, enough bragging about mediocrity.
I think it’d be cool to see downwards pedal grabs, like, you jump down from something into a pedal grab.

I do that sometimes, it is sortof pointless unless you do it rolling into a grind.

It seems to me that a lot of people are making the switch way too fast from SI to SIF trials. Most trials “help” threads are just asking about leg rub when riding SIF, or how the uni jerks away from them when they hop on something. I tried SIF today just for kicks and found that after riding SI for a while, I don’t have my seat pressed against my leg and hopping is so much more stable than when I had previously tried SIF.

So if your new to trials, don’t get discouraged if SIF isn’t working for you. Work on your SI and SIF will come easily.

Danni rode SI till he was hitting 28"-29" and then switched to SIF and now can get 101cm, and Joe Hodges is beastly at SI, able to hit 102cm. There is no shame in riding SI.

I learned seat in when I could jump about 1 foot, now I don’t jump that high but I can tuck the uni really easily.