Today I (brag thread) V2

Today I broke 200 miles for the month of May!

And to think it was only a year and a half ago I celebrated riding my first mile!

I nailed the kick-up mount.

Today I did no unicycling… because I’ve pulled my neck when was jumping last Thursday

So now I’m waiting until it is completely healed, and then I’ll continue jumping… with some prior warmups…

Today I felt awesome after my session! So many things clicked into place:

• after some warmup, freemounting worked about every time
  • learnt how to stop, jump 1-3 times (like 1-2 inches), and continue
  • managed to stop, backpedal half a cycle, continue riding, a few times
  • learnt how to ride up the 1 inch curb that used to stop me every time
  • rode a winding 100 m uphill cobblestone road without UPDs

And hello all, this is my first post! I started unicycling a month ago, and have logged 16 hours of practice on my cheap nameless 20" (and spent twice that time reading forums and watching unicycle videos…). A 26" Nimbus muni is in the mail. :slight_smile:

This is a great forum, I’ve learned a lot plus got tons of inspiration!

Today I…

Today I…broke my uncycyle :astonished: . got a unycycle for $40, and the seat broke while I learned to hop. what exactly was I expecting?

@Goodgulph: Welcome to the forum! Awesome progress. You seem to have unicycling in your blood :slight_smile: I wish I could do some of the things you are succeeding at.

@Smoky: Yeah. Cheapo unicycles are good enough for learning to ride forward. Anything else you should upgrade. Depending on where you are and your budget, a decent Qu-Ax, Torker LX or Club should hold up better than your $40 unicycle. If you check your local classifieds (craigslist?) you also may be able to find something more solid for about the same price than your cheapie.

Today, I managed my first longer ride (roughly 3 miles mix of hard packed dirt and tarmac) on the 29er muni with only 2 UPDs in the beginning.

Thanks @markus. Though I still feel quite unsteady, and find turning pretty hard, for instance. One turn at a time often succeeds, but feels like it’s only an accident, and takes lot of hand flailing.

That you’re succeeding is the important thing. Consistency and becoming more stable will come eventually. There was an interesting thread recently that helped motivate me quite a bit “how long did it take you to stop falling?”

I learned two major things from that thread:

(a) Everybody is different and is learning at a different pace
(b) You’ll probably never get to 100% as there’s always the next challenge in unicycling. Which is also what makes it so much fun :smiley:

Today I did a 12 second still stand. I am really starting to feel how this is supposed to feel. It’s just like it says in Kris’ book–it’s the hips that are doing the balancing, not the arms.

Great book BTW. So many good tips…

I think the basic idea behind the stillstand is that, by tilting the unicycle from side to side, you move the contact point (where the tire meets ground) from side to side as well. And that lets you balance. Balance comes from the hips not because there is some magic to using them, but because you have to move your hips to tilt the unicycle.

You can do the same thing on a bike if you have decent size tires or turn the front wheel to the side - it’s the bike trials version of a trackstand, where you don’t want to be rolling back and forth like a normal trackstand.

(in all of these cases, and normal riding too, you balance the way you balance a stick on the end of a finger - by moving the contact point back and forth relative to the center of gravity).

I freemounted my G32 in overdrive. (Twice) Not that I plan to do that on a regular basis in traffic, but I thought it would be good practice to get used to it. (Still getting used to shifting on-the-fly. Getting shorter cranks would help, but I don’t want to switch them until I have more confidence/control during regular riding. Kind of a chicken-and-egg thing.)

Flip to tire

Today I had a very poorly executed UPD flat on my back when practicing walking into my mount. Then I nailed 10 in a row!

I did notice the ground is a lot harder then when I was 12 years old. :astonished:

Free mounted a Giraffe

Free mounted a 5’ giraffe three times in a row after an hour of fails and falls!

Today I…

…made it into the local news paper! :sunglasses:

It seems someone snapped a pic of me and sent it in, then someone at the telegraph decided I looked good enough for ‘pic of the day’ spread across 2 pages!

I’m not sure how to upload the pic while I’m on my phone…I’ve tried the attachment link at the top, but it only takes me so far then doesn’t work :thinking:

Today I had a perfect run.
Learned 360Sidespins new direction static in 7 Tries and busted out a few clean out of rolling. Sometime I landed 2 or 3 in an row.

At the end I landed my first Backrollflip(mount).

:smiley:

Today I landed 270 to outside foot jam to blind 270. I’m super close to 720s, should land them any day now.

This is probably lame and easy to most people but its taken me ages…finally got the confidence to land both the jump and suicide mounts :slight_smile:

The suicide mount! :astonished: Are you…um…suicidal? :roll_eyes:

Seriously though, its most definitely something to be proud of, doing stuff like that. I stick to commuting and distance 'cause I’m a wuss lol :smiley:

Congrats on the mounts…100% not lame!

Thanks, i just see all these amazing videos of people doing so much more so mine achievements feel pretty small. But one day hopefully ill be a pro too :slight_smile: