The Oregon has arrived!

There is already quite a lot of flex in the wheel, tire, cranks, and seat, that I’d just assume the frame be less flexy. I have had too much flex in a frame, it was a custom built Ti frame, this led to the frame welds cracking, otherwise it rode nice if you didn’t mind the rim rubbing on the brakes.

On the Oregon, there is at most 1/4-3/8" of lateral rim displacement when cranking hard, which is not abnormal. The cool thing about the Oregon is that the disc brake doesn’t care if the rim is displaced, so I don’t get any brake rub :slight_smile:

I’ll get some pics up this week. I’d suggest the Oregon to anyone looking at getting a 26 x 3 muni since it can be run with a Larry or any 26er tire down to about a 2.5" OR run a 29" wheelset; a 3" Duro would be cool.

I told my husband that I wanted the Nimbus Oregon. He’s always been so good about me getting new toys. This time he gave me a look that could kill. I guess I’ll have to let the thought smolder before he agrees to let me make the order. I think it was the guni that did him in.

Tirving, I ordered one of those “special” handles from Bryce to fit in my KH mount. Special is a good way to put it.

Maybe your husband will be more amenable if you sold me your guni :slight_smile:
Glad you got the handle, you’ll love it… I do at least :slight_smile:

Yes he would, but I don’t want to. I kind of wish it were a 29er instead of a 26. As a road uni, low gear isn’t as useful since I can ride most of the hills in high gear. I can’t imagine using it off road. At least, not yet.

The geared 26 is designed to ride to the trails in high gear, and ride the trails in low gear. High gear off-road for most riders will be limited to smooth fire roads.

I’ll ask further questions on the Schlumpf thread. I don’t want to be off the Oregon topic here (except to say I want one).

Ahhh… You’ll love the Oregon then, big, bump eating tire and a rolling diameter not much different than a 29". I love my 26"/Larry wheel set.

Hey Nurse Ben, how about some nice pics of your new toy to keep me entertained while I’m waiting for mine to arrive?

You rang?

Okay, so per my norm, nothing can be left the way it was intended, so here’s my Oregon after less than one week:

Carbon fiber seat with KH Freeride foam and cover
Thompson seat post and KH Adj Seat Post base
Shimano M575 hydraulic brake and 160mm rotor (I like black)
Gold anodized seat clamp and nips
Surly Large Marge XC rim
De-Stickered except for a couple lil’ muni pics…
And of course, purple pedals (my son’s contribution)

Here’s a pic from the first ride, still using the white Bengal hydraulic, Venture Cranks, and some white platforms pedals. Looks good if you’re into white :roll_eyes:

Looks great! Mine will have white bumpers and seatpost clamp.
So did you put a spooner on the brakes there? Is that KH or homemade?

Yeah, spooner.

There are some minor issues, one has to do with the crank spacer. I found the 4mm spacer didn’t allow for the cranks to go on far enough, so i’m using a 2mm spacer. Also, the brake mount is a litte bit to far from the frame leg, so the disc brake doesn’t contact the entire brake disc.

UDC is working on retrofits for these issues and will send the parts out.

That said, the Oregon is fine the way it comes, i just like messing with stuff until it’s purrrrrfect :smiley:

What do you mean by this? Most calipers don’t contact the whole rotor, usually the outer 1" or so, some even less. Wouldn’t it be more an issue with how high the caliper is mounted?

Aluminum nipples? Aren’t those quite a bit weaker than brass? Look great, but maybe not the best choice for a muni?

Tirving, The pads are not in complete contact with the disc and the caliper is prevented from moving closer due to the mount. Josh said he was gong to use a larger rotor and spacers. I’m gonna wait on him and see what he puts together. It works fine now, but it could be even better.

Aluminum nipples are weak? Wow, i wish I’d known that :roll_eyes:

I have never stripped a nipple or broken a nipple from riding. Stripped a few while truing…

Tomorrow it’s supposed to be 95 deg F with 80% humidity, nice day for a ride, yup.

Yeah, I’d expect the problem to be while truing. The more abuse the wheel gets, the more it will need to be trued…

Mine arrived too. Went for a nice ride today:

What did you think? I want to order one with a KH seat. how do you like the pedals? Brakes? If I were to order one would you recommend any changes? I already know I don’t like the Nimbus Gel saddle, though I do like the white bumpers. I thought I read somewhere that UDC only has 15 of these Oregons. Is that correct? My husband said that if they are limited I should go ahead and order one. I can’t find that reference though. Was I dreaming? I don’t want to lie.

Well, first of all I thought: Wow that is a seriously fat tire! Almost ridiculously fat. But I really like it. I haven’t played around much with air pressure but I rode it at about 40 psi today. As expected the tire has good suspension properties. It tisn’t as easy to turn as my other munis but I’m sure I’ll get used to it.
I got it with the Ventures 165mm cranks but I decided to try it out with my dual holed 150/125mm KH Moments first. I think for most conditions 150 is long enough and the 125mm is good for commuting to the start of the actual trail. Maybe I’ll keep the 165s for steeper or longer climbs or for the winter. But downhill they don’t make much sense with the disc brake IMHO. The brake is nice, although I didn’t feel that much of a difference to my magura HS33s now. Of course in muddy or rainy or even snowy conditions it should perform much better than the rim brakes. unfortunately the spooner doesn’t fit very well but it can be mounted. It does need a little modification, though.
So all in all it was a great first impression and it worked well in pretty technical muni conditions. One thing I noticed is that my legs did rub the frame sometimes so maybe I’ll protect it with some scotch tape so it wont strip the paint there. But no big deal really.

It’s interesting hiw different people’s perceptions can be, but i have a totally different approach to my Oregon set up:

First off, 40psi is a road tire pressure. I run 10psi and weigh 200#, have run as much as 14psi but it felt too firm. The Larry is designed to be a high volume, low pressure tire, so to get the true benefits of it’s amazin shock absorptio , you need to drop hat pressure by a whole lot, otherwise it’ll be underwhelming.

Second is frame and hub width being 25mm wider than a standard KH/Nimbus hub. I like extra width becuase it keeps my legs from rubbing on the seat and it seems to keep my taint from getting as sore. I’m inclined to believe that a wider stance may be more comfortable on longer rides as well.

Third, the marvelous disc brake, more than just a change in the brake style, the disc brake is unaffected by water crossings and mud, unaffected by out of true rims, and it has more power wih less lever effort han a Magura. I can literally ride with one finger on the disc brake lever and no other part of my hand touching the seat, whereas with Maguras i have to hold the seat s i depress the brake lever because it takes that much more effort to depress and to control braking

Finally there’s crank length, where obviously there is a huge difference in preferencesI ride some pretty steep and rough terrain, sometimes i literally have to stall and restart, so short cranks on such a large wheel are a no go. I think shorter cranks might work if i were doing flatter rides or mosly downhill.

In terms of set up, the only difference between the Nimbus seat and the KH seat are the covers; KH are removeable. The new Nimbus cranks are very nice, same quality as Moments, but lighter and less Q Factor. The brakes are very nice quality, i only changed to Shimano because i wanted black.

Also, i tried to set up an Avid BB5 and it was too wide, so after doing some more “review” i’m of the mind that mechanicals brakes are just too wide to fit between the cranks and spokes.

I rode with a buddy today, his Oregon is on the way, so of course he wanted to ride mine. S much fun, like little kids on candy shop, comparing how various unis ride. He was on a KH 24 x 3, me on the Oregon, we switched on and off, it was no contest, the Oregon was easier, faster, and more capable on rough terrain, both climbing and descending. I was abel to ride over; not hop, but ride over logs that were 10-12" tall, not something i could do even with a 26 x 3.

The Oregon is a great uni, but seriously, do yourself a favor and drop that tire pressure, it’s not a 36er :roll_eyes:

Even on a 36er, 20-25 PSI is plenty offroad.

Hey Ben, could you take pictures of both the Oregon and the Conundrum from the front? so we can see the difference between wide hub, strait cranks, and regular hub, KH Moments? as well as crown width and height?

Thanks