Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

Yes, at minimum there are 2 sealed bearings on the inside, one on each side just below the big bearing. In the middle of the hub, there is an other bearing (not sealed on the photo)

KHU_schlumpfInternals.jpg

YES They replaced all the bearings and return the old rusted (sezied) bearings. The No: is 7 bearings! :sunglasses:

PeteG…

Gmuni sounds like something you do when you’re trying to say ‘Good Morning’ to someone when you have a mouthful of cereal.

How about Mungi- Mountain-UNicycle-Geared-Insides :stuck_out_tongue:

At California MUni Weekend my hub started making ominous thunking noises that could be heard and felt as the wheel was rotated, either in low gear or high. But they went away and it’s riding fine now. My theory is that something got into the hub, a rock or something, and the gears took a while to grind it down.

Wow… I didn’t know there were so many bearings in there, one or more unsealed. I added grease a few months ago. It’s possible it’s leaking out faster than I think.
I guess I could add a bit more and see if there’s a change.

I wish there was a recommended solvent to spray in the hole, shake around, and dump out. More like an oil change, instead of just adding more. Maybe I can ask Florian for an opinion on this.

Guess how long the resulting debris will take to grind your hub down …

I just went to put more grease in my hub. When I removed the screw there was fresh grease right there. I carefully pushed a small hex wrench in and it was covered in new grease. So I doubt lack of grease is a problem. Needless to say I didn’t add any.

I had a thought… the screw is far from the center of the hub. I wonder if centrifugal force keeps the grease from getting to everywhere it should.

Probably should distinguish between oil and grease. Oil goes in the hole behind the screw to lube the gears. There is grease inside the sealed bearings. And there is grease behind the external dust covers. So when my dust cover came loose, and I had grease coming out, that was not the hub oil coming out.

I think, Schlumpf hub uses now grease instead of oil !

Depending on the batch. Early hubs came with grease, later it was oil, now they are back to grease. But all hubs work with grease as well as with oil - according to Florian Schlumpf.

Am I wrong in thinking that if the cover on the outside of the hub came loose, that the oil/grease in the gear chamber is still contained? and that the internal bearings are still contained?

Wrong for oil/grease : if the cover comes loose –> oil/grease leakage :angry:
? for internal bearings –> if cover comes loose, hub can disengage more easily in low gear :angry:

I put a little lithium grease in the space behind where the cover goes and put the cover back. It seems to be staying in place so far, and no more leaking. Not sure what is supposed to hold the cover in place. Seems like the suction from the grease is holding it there.

I haven’t noticed any difference in shifting or any other behavior of the hub.

Depends what the debris is, eh?

I had a blast Schlumpf-ing on the trail today! I wasn’t planning on filming, but I found an mtb guy who was happy to film me riding in high gear, and he stayed close so it really gives a good sense of speed! :smiley:

(Bike cam starts about :48) Btw, it was just slightly above freezing when I got there at 7:45am (37 F) but in less than 2 hours it had shot up more than 40 degrees, to past 80! :astonished:

My KH 26 Guni is for sale:

Don’t cry for me, at least I tried, now you can try it too :slight_smile:

Serious inquiries only, thanks :wink:

sniff. . . . sniff:(

I have been planning on putting a Schlumpf into a 26" wheel for a long time but am really starting to think that geared 36 would be the way to go.

I have a hub already, it just needs some bearing work to get back into commission. I wish I could afford two.

I wish I could afford it @NurseBen. I do want to upgrade my KH24 GUni to a KH26 but plan on doing it with my current KH-Schlumpf Hub. If you’re thinking about parting it I might be interested in purchasing the stuff I need to upgrade…

Do you mean a G36er would be the “way to go” for distance/road riding? For MUni, the G26er would be the ideal way to go, imo. :slight_smile: