Schlumpf hubs: general discussion

I’m running the 26 x 3" Duro tube that comes standard on 26 x 3" muni from KH/UDC. It is not a lightweight tube, but it also does not pinch flat! I ran lighter tubes, had a couple flats, got smart and switched to fat tubes, no flats since. The heavy tube also seems to give the sidewall a little more substance.

If tubes are an issue, then go tubles, I think I’d do that before going to a lighterweight tube cuz I hate fixing flats more than I dislike messing with tire goop :slight_smile:

I also scored a 26 x 2.4 Ardent from Blue Sky (thanks Terry!). Great tire, exactyly the same ride feel as my 29 x 2.4, maybe a little less clunky and certainly lighter than the 26 x 2.6, nice :smiley:

I can start in high gear if I have something to hold me stable, or if I’m on a downhill, otherwise it’s shift down and start again. The killer for me is when I miss the shift and expect it, which on a downshift might lead to getting off to manually shift, and an up shift it might lead to a bobble and UPD.

So far the most practical use for my guni was in an area that had old dirt roads and paved roads linking single track (Bent Creek, NC). I was able to use high gear a number of times which helps me keep pace with my biker wife, the wonderful and gracious Mrs Nurse Ben :stuck_out_tongue:

My experience was just like this (though I started on a 26" and still have trouble imagining high gear on the 36"). I would hop off and switched gears with my hands instead of shifting on the fly. I had the hardest time taking off with the 1:1. It would take several attempts until I got re-used to the low gear. Free mounting in high gear is really hard for me unless I’m on a downhill (Terry static shifting is crazy weird;)). For the first several months of owning this thing, I would opt for a nongeared unicycle to enjoy my ride.

Once I switched to shorter cranks and could shift with my feet, it was no longer a problem to free mount and ride between the two gears. I didn’t really enjoy riding my guni until I learned to shift with my feet. It was much easier than I thought. I would like to be able to shift at the moment I want to shift. Sometimes I nail it first attempt. I never know if it will take me 1, 2, 3, sometime 4 revolutions before I engage the button. It’s a fun challenge and I don’t fear traffic lights and other obstacles anymore. Riding in high gear still requires more focus (like a new rider). It’s a relief to reach a steep hill so I can relax while huffing and puffing up the hill 1:1. I figure it will just get better and better.

That 3" duro tube is HEAVY, and pretty much negates the weight savings of the lighter, single ply ardent 2.4. But I also knew that running both the 2.4 and a standard tube could be more prone to flats.

Searching around, I discovered a terrific tube alternative! It’s the Maxxis “freeride” tube. Basically it’s a DH tube but at half the weight! It’s beefier and a lot stronger than the little skinny standard tube I was using, but only 2oz heavier at only 292g. The same size DH tube is nearly 500g, and the difference in thickness is small; the Freeride tube is 1.2mm vs 1.5 for the DH.

The 2.2-2.5 width range of the freeride also fits perfectly for the 2.4. Easy to install too. A trick I learned is to put the new tube in a plastic bag, add some talc or baby powder and SHAKE! I ordered two from Bluesky and also picked one up locally. The best part is that you still end up with that one pound weight savings, while still adding significant tube strength. :smiley:

Yeah, the Maxxis freeride tube is actually what I ordered a while back and will be on the g26 for me.

I should be getting a call about my wheelbuilds in a few days, then I will be up and running on my g36 and g26. It has been a while since I have gone on a proper unicycle ride.

I did a super fun 10 mile G-MUni ride this morning with the ardent 2.4 (folding) and freeride tube. I’d say this is the perfect combination! It definitely feels lighter and more nimble than the one pound heavier 2.6, and the 2.4 is still wide enough and high volume enough to run at lower psi, and it rolls over tech sections with ease! Just a fantastic combo! :smiley:

I think we need to come up with a good name for geared-muni. Guni works great for the 36 geared uni. How about Zuni for geared-muni ::smiley:

I use the simple “G” designation just before the size uni, e.g., G26er, or it could also be “G-MUni” to specify the discipline.

…but Guni Muni is so much fun to say…

Haha, G-H-I-J-K-L-M, so J is half way between G and M, so I vote “Juni” :stuck_out_tongue:

In the spirit of the phrase “Cokering” why not “SchMuni”? :wink: Sure there are other forms of “geared” unicyclies but besides one-off type constructions the Schlumpf is pretty ubiquitous to our sport at this time… I typically just say GUni to cover all my geared-unicycle riding, not that anybody cares, but they can figure out that I rode onroad/offroad simply from the context of my ride description.

I wonder if someday geared muni’s will be so common place that we’ll need to specify single speed, like in the mtb world.

Had another thought last night, why not call it “Gemming”, comes from “GM” or Geared-MUni. Sort of appropriate as the KH/Schlumpf Hub costs as much as a precious gem!

You kids and your slang. :roll_eyes:

No need to invent new words when muni will suffice.

You don’t go for “geared unicycle rides” you go unicycling with a <insert unicycle config here>.

Example:
I just got back from an amazing muni ride with my new g26!

…but then how will people compare metaphorical genital size?!

muni is mountain unicycle
guni is geared unicycle

It makes sense to me that gmuni would be geared mountain unicycle, if you wanted to abbreviate it.
When spoken, gmuni is pronounced “geared muni”.

But a gmuni is a guni, and a muni, and a uni. So you can use any you want, depending on what you’re trying to communicate.

My Schlumpf has started feeling less smooth, regardless of whether it’s in high gear or not.
I removed my wheel and cranks and found it looked pretty dirty:

With a toothbrush, cotton swabs, and paper towels I cleaned it up quite a bit:

Unfortunately, cleaning it up didn’t solve the bigger problem. Spinning it by hand, it feels and sounds like the bearings are having issues.
It’s not bad, but I suspect it will get worse.

With years left on the warranty, I figure I’ll just keep riding it until it becomes annoying or is not longer fit to ride.
Any opinions?

And am I doing something wrong? I didn’t expect things to look so dirty, with some surface rusting. Maybe I need to clean it more?

image002_small.jpg

image003_small.jpg

Is it leaking excessive amounts of grease?

You could add some more grease. I understand that there is someone online who sells it.

Scott

Hi sounds like a bearing is on its way out, My Hub sezied a bearing back in March this year and its just come back this week?

I don’t think so. Though, after my last ride I noticed what looked like a bit of clean grease on the outside. So maybe it’s oozing some. But it’s hard to tell the rate.

:stuck_out_tongue: But unfortunately if it’s the bearings adding grease won’t help, since it goes into the gearbox, not into the sealed bearings.

Could you tell it was on its way out before it seized? How long after noticing did it seize?

Question: is there a sealed bearing on the inside of the hub? And does it have a cover that is separate from the cover you see on the outside of the hub?