Round Crown Aluminum Fat frame (Prototype)

Great job Jakob!! Very impressive!

I’m sure there is a line forming in this thread to get one from you if you decide to sell some (even prototypes would found a home :p). I can’t wait to hear you say the word: “ready”.

The problem with a gradual curve is the lateral force it would apply to the top of the bearings. And even if the curve isn’t a problem for the bearings, it’s a no-no for a disc brake tab.

Don’t even need a speed bump… put a fat beer fed biker on it and it starts grinding the tarmac right away! :smiley:

Looks really good. I want one.

Modest question: are you planning make some kind of grab handle which will match frame style / color in the future?

EDIT: Not sure where you’d source a 36er fat tyre… Might have to attach two tyres together :D:D
[/QUOTE]

Check out this link.

Maybe Eric will weigh in with some suggestions.

I have no doubt you could do it but it’s the weight that could be brutal.

Check out this link.

Maybe Eric will weigh in with some suggestions.
[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen his frankentyres before, that’s what I was referring to :slight_smile:

I always wondered how two tyres stuck together in that way don’t create a sort of, figure-8 shape… Surely the diameter of the beads is unadjustable? I dunno…

Move to Montreal. Build me a frame. I’ll chauffeur you around. No license required. :wink:

Hey Jacob, I love the look of that frame, it is very close to what I had sketched out before I “settled” for a custom triton frame.

If you do decide to make any frames for sale let me know, if fact I will send you a PM right now.

I wasn’t planning on making a 24" version of it because I stopped riding my 24" last year, but anything is possible! I’ve set a jig that I can use to make any size of frame with any size of hub. Also, the disk tab can be set on either side, just depending on what the rider wants. I am also able to do custom jobs with different designs and material (No Ti yet, I still need practicing on Ti).

(message to everyone, PM me for special requests) :roll_eyes:

I was 100% to get some request by posting this, and this is why I haven’t posted anything before having the first one made! I will, soon hopefully, let you guys know if I’m taking orders or not. Some testing needs to be made before selling.

A disk brake tab will probably be installed on mine, and for sure on the next one. The bend doesn’t change anything for the brake tab, the problem is that on mine, I didn’t bend at the right place and at the right angle so the disk might rub on the frame. Before welding one on mine I will put my braked wheel in it to make sure it fits or not.

Not in my plan (yet), but I want to make another shorter version of the handle that is pictured to be able to use the brake easier. This handle is a little bit too long and makes the use of a brake unconfortable. I’d like to bring back the Reeder handle though, it’s awesome for Muni.

PM replied :slight_smile:

Hey! This Reeder handle looks almost exactly as my sketch! I was going to make one and it already have a name :stuck_out_tongue:

So, I guess it’s finaly time for a proper review, a few people already asked, I thought I’d do a review for everyone! :slight_smile:

I stopped riding the fatty last week… No it’s not broken! No problems at all with it, everything was going as expected or better! The reason I’m not riding it anymore is that I only have my custom geared up 650B for my internship at Xprezo.ca! (Check out their bikes, everything is handmade at the shop in Bromont, Québec and it looks amazing)

Anyway, I had lots and lots of riding on it, it’s pretty much the only uni I rode since I build it. I rode it in lots of various situations starting with a fatbike race that was one lap pedaling like crazy on bumps, jumps, curves and drops. That was it’s first ride, it was really impressive! I finaly have everything I need for a unicycle frame, it’s light, it’s stiff (way stiffer than I expected) and I can’t hit my knees/legs on my frame!

The thing that was the most impressive to me was the stiffness of the frame. I used to get tire rub with my KH24 and my 3" tire, since this one has longer legs I thought it would be a problem and I would have to make a wider model. Turns out this is good!

I sold one to a friend, he’s also riding a fatty, but his has a Schlumpf, a KH T-Bar and a rack on the back. It looks insane. Saddly, I wont be able to post pictures since I’m doing everything on an iPod for the next 2 weeks. I also made my 650b just before leaving home for my internship. The design is the same but with straight legs and obviously, the crown isn’t as wide. I have the Schlumpf and the disk brake on it it works perfectly. There’s also another special feature that will be posted/reviewed in a few weeks. Hehehe :wink:

Hopefully I’ll be able to make a few different ones for Unicon! I would also like to make a Cr-Mo frame with fancy tubings, and a Ti… Lots of plans to come, I’ll keep you guys updated!

PM me for special requests, I’m open to custom builds :slight_smile:

Out of curiosity, how is it on uphills?

That’s pretty much exactly what I’m worried about for every single unicycle frame I ride on munis. When going uphill, like really steep uphill, I pull alot of the handle which obviously puts the force on the frame. I was worried I’d get the tire rubbing when going uphills, that’s exactly the moment when you dont want anything to break your momentum. But this frame is stiff, I’ve pulled hard on it and no problem! I’m really really happy with it :slight_smile:

I’ll be able to tell more if summer ever gets here, I’ve got some sweet hills on the trails close to my home :smiley:

Hi Jakob,

thanks for the review. It is nice and teasing at the same time ! :stuck_out_tongue:

Does that mean you’re accepting orders already ? Or will it have to wait for when you return from your internship ?

I am not ready to take orders yet, I still have a few weeks at my internship, I dont know exactly how long I have left since they might keep me a few more weeks!

I will probably place an order of material anyway for a few frames, I’ll be able to make a few when I get back and sell them. Maybe a third one for me haha.

I’ll keep you guys updated on everything though, if I can have my own frames rising around the world, I’d be the happiest kid in town :slight_smile:

When I’ll be able to take order, for now, a frame of any size under 29" with a ~150mm neck and disc tab (whatever side) would be $ 300 CAD. Including a 1 year warranty :slight_smile:

Reeder Handle?

The frames look good, but I’m really interested in the Reeder handle (RH). Let me know if you ever have one for sale.

You can definitely put me down for a frame for a G27.5 that has enough clearance for the Schwalbe HD SuperGravity. These frames are awesome and my Geared hub needs a new home anyways!

Jakob, great thanks for extending the possibilities for us :slight_smile:

I’m taking notes :slight_smile: As I said, I’m not home now. But when I’ll be back I’ll have acces to my tools and I’ll be able to slowly take orders :slight_smile:

I’m starting to make my list of “pre-orders” :wink:

Funny, that’s what I’m riding now! Not the super gravity HD but same tire, same size, with the Schlumpf hub and disc brake :smiley:

I like to think that anything is possible, and I think it is :slight_smile:

[QUOTE Funny, that’s what I’m riding now! Not the super gravity HD but same tire, same size, with the Schlumpf hub and disc brake :D[/QUOTE]

Your unicycle gave me the idea. I think my schlumpf will be better suited on that than my 29. It had to make a road trip to Florian, so now I have incentive. :smiley: