Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

they did not lie to you it is not possible without modifying the parts;)

still V-frame is the future:D

hehey, that was fast Peripatet, cool to see the T7 put to use!

Oh, I’ve already been racking up the miles on it! Working great for me.

Finaly I got my custom handlebar finished:

The front part (where the seatpostclamp is on) is just the seatposttube of an old frame that takes 22.2mm posts.

Did a small ride around town to test the handlebar.
The low position is very plesant and takes many weight out of the sadle.
Handlebar used for steering, barends for the long and fast straight streches.
Now I feel realy good in the sadle.

[quote=Probailer2;1254885]
Finaly I got my custom handlebar finished:

Nice job too Peter…
But I was a bit surprised to see you riding with “long” cranks???
I thought your leggs were al lot stronger:D
Take care at fast UPD’s… so always[SIZE=2] wear kneeprotection on a 36!!!;)[/SIZE]

so does anyone has something cool that we need to see? :thinking:

i’am riding my custom v-frame for a while now and have to say its the best ever:D
its way more like a bicycle wich is for once a good thing
hope to see some more custom parts;)

Would love to see a video of you riding it at speed!

turtle’s V 36" is in progress, ithink it will be here in about a month.

yesterday i was at the ISDW (inner swis downhill weekend) beside the downhill (2 runs) there was a lap around a small lake (10.4km) with a little uphill, i used my turtle’s V 29" schlumpf: 22 minutes!

yeah maybe i can make a little video this week;)

at turtle
nice 36 is way bether for distance riding than 29
will it be something like what you did with your 29 or a little different?

it will be quiet the same.

the 29" with schlumpf is also very good for distance riding, fovorable i live in the alps an there are some steep sections, so i like the 29" also.
but i’d like a higher highspeed (with the 29" i managed 42km/h) and a higher average on the flat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJZlPMM_ys8
Here’s a video Kirk Kandle took of me at RAGBRAI XXXVII. Despite some concern a few months ago about the strength of the T7 handle, my setup worked pretty well throughout the week.

Clipless

Hey all, so I just finished reading through all 39 pages…phew. Lots of REALLY cool stuff going on.

So, I ride technical muni and I use clipless pedals. I have absolutely no problems with falls what-so-ever, and I can ride much harder stuff. And the thing is that I never use my handle at all anymore. I never touch it once, during the entire ride, unless I’m on an easy stretch, and I am just resting my hand on it.

I mention this in this thread because I think that with a lot of you now no longer riding as if you’re going to upd, you may all be more open to this idea than the usual members on this board. And also, and moreover, to give a new perspective, and possibly open up all of the missing parts to using these long handles, and more laid out positioning. Not only does it negate a need for a short secondary handle, it also means that hill climbing with the laid out position is easier, as you can pull up on the pedals, to help keep the handle down.

So, does anybody think that they may now be ready to delve into the realm of clipless with their cool V-frames? I’d really love to know how they may help out…I really do think that they will.

And, where’s the video of that V-Frame in motion? We’ve been waiting for a while now. (well not me, cuz I just read this, but the rest of you)

I’m a fighter pilot, and clipless muni scares the piss out of me. :astonished:

Second, it’s way mire fun to weld up crazy custom bars than just swap pedals.:wink:

Last, okay maybe if someone has a clipless uni I’ll try it, but that’s a lot of cheese in pedals and shoes to lay out for what is, on it’s face, a terrible idea.

your clipless idea intrigues and scares

Your idea of clipless MUni intrigues and scares me at the same time. In former 2 wheeled life,I enjoyed being clipped in and definitely rode stronger.

I would consider it only with strong solid plastic knee cups, as a maiden voyage could have disasterous consequences. For your knees, and your entire unicycling future if youcan’t get out. Alsothe best pair of wrist guards that money can buy.

Have you started with the easiest DIN in setting for the pedals.That may also be the difference between 20something rider and a 40somethingrider:)

Post a picture of what you’re riding for pedals and shoes. I imagine wide platforms are irrelevant I guess???

KH ever tried clipless riding? If there’s anyone unlikely to UPD it would be he:D

I have been thinking more and more about going clipless. Been doing it for 25 years on MTB, and so many times on the muni I wonder how much more stable I might feel if I was clipless. You have inspired me to give it a go. Although it should be said that if you’re not used to it, be EXTRA very careful. I don’t know if I’ll ever do it on technical muni (as soon as I CAN do technical muni), but for moderate 8-12mph xc rides I’m sure it’s far from death-defying.

A few people ride SPDs on the road, and I’ve ridden with at least one of them (Domesticated Ape, although I have a feeling he may have gone back to pinned pedals now). They seem to get on well with them and haven’t been killed yet.

I’ve ridden some sort of clipped pedals on bikes for as long as I can remember (traditional clips and straps, then SPD) and I feel very unsafe riding a bike without them now. But I don’t have the guts to try them on a uni, even on the road. I rode my coker to work this morning, 9 miles of mixed road and xc, without a dismount. On some of the rougher stony bits my feet got bounced around on the pedals a bit. They wouldn’t have done that with SPDs. But a few days ago on the same route I suddenly found myself running after hitting a ridge. I really don’t have confidence that I could have unclipped in time (I didn’t even notice I was falling) to save my wrists and collarbone - although Liam (Ape) says he’s fallen off a couple of times and unclipped naturally. For proper muni I reckon you’d have to be EXTREMELY sure of your abilities.

One thing that worries me about SPDs on a uni is whether the second foot would unclip without just rotating the uni. On a bike there’s a lot more machine to hold the pedal still while you twist your foot out of the clip. But then I haven’t tried it (and probably never will - way too chicken!)

Rob

i tried it for a short time on my V-frame, but a lot of people told me i’m gonna kill myself, so i took it away, and have the half clips without straps on that setup and like it alot. for roadriding i think clipless is indeed dangerous because most of my upd’s are falling in the front (and also in highspeed), in that case i take my feet straight ahead from the pedals (you don’t have this on a bike, because you can’t fall in the front, ok you can but that happens not very often).

but i think i’m going to give it a try on the muni (thats not that fast…), the problem i see there is maybe when am riding somewhere close to the edge and i start falling on the “wrong” side, and in the panic i don’t get the feet off…

ok, i can’t wait anymore… actually i wanted to show turtle’s big V (36") when it’s all done, but now it looks like it will take an other month until the wheelset (schlumpf hub) will be ready, so here it is with the 29" wheel.
thanks to everyone who is supporting me in this project!

You need to change your name to teenage mutant ninja turtle or something.

Words fail me :astonished:

Looking nice but have to see it with the 36 inch wheel.
Are you going to unicon>?
I’am not the cost are just to high, but i’am curious how the v-frames and handlebar setups are going to preform in the races.