Road Unicycle Set-Up and T7 Handle Modification

well i kinda thought the same the first time i saw a unicycle thats crazy and inpossible…

and now its easy;)

so nothing is unpossible, we will see:)
why freewheeling you might think? than you can convert a regular bicycle hub;)

Sander, it looks great. Why not use a Schlumpf hub? Wouldn’t it fit? Too expensive? When I have recovered from my sore muscles from elsbet we should meet up for a road ride. I’d like to give your setup a try…

What are your plans for making a geared unicycle? Is it going to be shiftable on the fly?

I think your new frame design is really cool. I’m hoping to (at some point) do experiments with creating my own frames and geared unis.

corbin

The main problem with a freewheeling hub is how to control your forward balance. With a brake, you can stop yourself from falling off backwards, since the brake pulls you forward when you engage it. You can somewhat control forward falls by pedaling faster, but it doesn’t work all the time, and requiring it for balance might be tricky.

corbin

Yes shiftable on the fly and a minium numbers of gears will be 4 although i would like to push it a little more and straight go to 7 or 8

This can be don by using standard nexus hubs from shimano.
as i sad this will not be fixed but freewheel

And the whole question is can you control the unicycle when freewheeling.
It might take a while to get to ride it.
But learining to bicycle or unicycling i alsow did not in 1 houre.

I’am a second year student mechanical engineering so in my education i have acces to machining an fabrication some nice stuff for myself.
Besides that i have a partime job at a local bicycle store so alsow have good acces to bicycle parts

To munirocks:
Yes offcourse you can try out the unicycle when i have some time;)
Why not using a schlumpf hub i find that they are way to expensive,
not for the hub but i just can not afford one being a jong student.
And they still have to work out the bearing problem.
I dont want to have a 1000 euro hub brake down and wait 2 month for it to be fixed.

Sander, I am really impressed. All I can say is go for it! If you can make and learn to ride a 7 speed coaster uni, it will be awesome. Can’t wait to see your video of riding this one.

—Nathan

Sander, your frame came out very nice. Kudos on the design and craftmanship. I’m proud of a fellow Dutchman being at the cutting edge (pun intended) of unicycle frame design.

As to the coasting geared hub:

Braking should not be an issue. As you say, several people have already mastered the art of braking on a unicycle with no feet on the pedals at all. It must be easier to brake if you still have a one-directional drive through your pedals.

Just riding is another matter though. Coasting unicycles are usually considered to be very difficult to ride. But there is no reason they are impossible to ride. In fact, people have ridden them after a lot of practice.

Some years ago, there was a regular poster in this forum (unibiker) who rode distances on a modified bike. He had removed the front wheel, changed the geometry of the saddle attachment and basically rode very long wheelies. His hub was a coasting hub and geared (i.e. more than 1 : 1), not sure if he changed gears on the fly. He was at the forefront of one-wheeled speed at the time, I think he was one of the first to cover 15 miles in an hour. Sadly, he passed away (not unicycle-related).

Don’t be discouraged if people would say this is not the way to go, because that is the standard reaction on unconventional steps. When the Schlumpf geared hub came out, they were initially only available on 20" and 24" wheels, so mimicking the already known 29" and 36" wheels when in high gear. With a lot of ‘pressure’ from Ken Looi and others, Florian added a 28" (29") version. I remember the forum discussions about speed comparisons between 36" (implying: fixed) and Schlumpf (implying: 29"). At the time, people were joking about putting a geared hub on a 36" wheel but the idea was laughed at by all: everyone said they would be too difficult to ride as the gear would be too “heavy”. And look now: the Schlumpf 36" is commonly accepted in road racing.

With the bike racing posture on the new V-frames, and the bike-like feeling that is reported by many V-frame riders including yourself, you may be onto the next step in unicycle touring/racing. I’m not sure if it works but I do think it’s worth a serious attempt. You are a good and dedicated rider. Just go for it!

I remember him. It hadn’t occurred to me that his hub wasn’t fixed, but if he started from a bike, well, then of course it must have been a coasting hub. <slaps forehead>

I wonder if he ever actually coasted, though, or did he always pedal?

Anyway, Sander, the aluminum-V is truly a work of art. I can’t wait to hear riding reports from you and that beast.

I’m not sure but I’m under the impression that he did not (usually) coast, just pedal. Much info will still be on the forum, might be good for Sander to read if he’s going to implement this.

The purpose of Sander’s coasting hub idea, AFAIU, is not the ability to coast per se, but the option of being able to use (modify) a standard bike gear hub. “Always” pedaling seems easier than coasting. But who knows, if this catches on, unicyclists will be coasting downhill (only literally!) in ten years from now, to gain even more speed.

yes its about being able to use a bike gear hub.

i alsow dont see the need for a fixed setup in road unicycling because you dont really need the backward pedal to control the unicycle like when doing trials or freestyle.

maybe its work maybe it does not,
the only way to find out is build it:o

I have already started looking for parts the main problem is money to by the parts that i need.
already have the main parts like the wheel with a 20mm hub and where i can bolt a chainwheel on, nexus 4 and 7 hub.

So, any prototype’s ready now?
I would love to be a test person :wink:

Anyways, to keep this topic going…
Yesterday I finaly started on my custom handlebar.
I’m making a T bar with extensions and then weld it to a KH railbracket.
The T part is allready welded together, now I need to order a KH bracket at MDC
Now I used !3mm! CrMo tubing, but if this setup proves to be confortable I wil build it out of 2mm CrMo tubing or even aluminium tubing if I find a alu welder around here :wink:

Not yet…:frowning:
Not having the time to do it myself, I gave the project to a guy I worked with, who unfortunatly lost his job and now he has no time either to do it (he’s doing all kind of part time jobs). So I’m working the metal myself a few minutes a week… so hopefully by 2010 I’ll have 10h of machining done for the first 3 prototypes. Oh well! I might as well pay for it to be done soon, but it’s fun to work on parts.

Thats to bad.
I got my handle almost done.
Just need the rail bracket to weld it on and then some bar-ends.
Then buy some spraypaint and paint the sucker and done :sunglasses:

Do you have any pictures?

corbin

No, not yet.
Will take some pictures when it’s complete :slight_smile:

Just put the third coat of primer on the handle.
I will put the first layer of paint on it in about 2h.
Will be continued :wink:

Got some footage of me riding my setup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-84_EYVRiM

KH/T7 Mod

Got a T7 last week and decided to try to adapt it to my KH36 with an 08 seat. It’s $12 + shipping for a KH rail post, but only $0.44 for 4 new 1/4" X 20 carriage bolts. Add that to 20 minutes worth of measuring with some verniers and 4 Sawzall cuts and it all works beautifully.

My original plan was just to lop off the bottom rails on the T7 and slide the KH base in, but I abandoned that idea as soon as I actually saw the handle in real life.

Stuff that had to come off:

I wanted to do exactly what you did there, but I was told by UDC NZ that it wasn’t possible :angry: