Post Your MUni here!

Who’s they? Is it a custom job?

I know the 29er comments weren’t bad, just was funny how that conversation was going on just when I came along to show off my new wheel! :stuck_out_tongue:

I probably wouldn’t have gone for 29" if I had any ‘hardcore’ MUni spots near me, that stuff looks fun! But it’s mostly miles upon miles of rough, bumpy farm tracks and old canal tow-paths, as well as forest trails round here, all of which are manageable on a 29" (And are FAR too slow on my 24) :smiley:

I love the purple paint job above me by the way!

Not true! 29ers get lots of love, they just have their place and hard core muni is just harder on a big wheel, so folks have smaller wheels too. I just built up a 650b (27.5") muni for myself and a 26" for my son, but I still have my 29", 32", and 36" unis.

It took you long enough, I was wondering how long it would take before you got a smaller wheel … now it’s time to use them young legs and that “brave” heart, you’ve got about ten years before they start hurting :roll_eyes:

Did you see the pic of my son’s purple muni? Powder coated by some local guys, $50 with two coats, included stripping. It was a PITA to build!! Getting the Spirits to work on that frame, the KH bearing caps and holders are sooo wide, it was a ton of work and the tolerances as sooo tight :astonished:

That purple looks great.

I wish I lived closer to Nurse Ben so I could attend your yard sale should you ever have one. :slight_smile:

What kind of pedals are those. They look kind of like Nukeproof Electrons but w/ more screws.

Damn straight.

Sweet purple PC job on the KH. Definitely… flamboyant. :stuck_out_tongue:

Funny how parts designed to go together have such tight tolerances, but I guess it’s all about little changes at a time :roll_eyes: .

Exactly. I added some screws in the middle outsides to get more grip.

Yup, that’s Alex :smiley:

I think the yellow is a bit much, but he digs it. What you can’t see is the disco seat cover with the silver flakes :roll_eyes:

+1

So u just drilled holes and screwed them into the plastic? U need to tap the holes? Any concerns of stripping? I think it would be REALLY hard to add nuts like w/ the OE screws.

Did u use allen screws?

It looks great!

The nuts hold the screws in place, so all I did was drill a small hole all the way through the pedal that was a snug fit on the screw threads, then drill a larger hole part way into the pedal that snugly fit the head of the screw.

Just copy the existing pedal and you’ll be fine. I use a dab of blue loctite to keep the nuts tight.

This worked well enough that I did it on all my pedals AND I added screws to an older pair of pedals that only had the nylon studs.

I get my hardware at Fastenal, they sell by the bag, minimum #100, but it’s very inexpensive, maybe ten dollars USD for enough screws to completely rebuild four sets of pedals.

After some research and a bit of advice from Ben, I purchased an Oracle 29. The thing is amazing. Coming from a 24, I was rolling over and through stuff I never would have dreamed of before, not to mention the speed increase. I couldn’t be happier with the wheel. Free mounting is still a bit inconsistent, and I don’t really know how to use the brake properly (my first uni with one). Had a few good spills, hearing the disk ping had me worried but it is well protected I guess. As has been said many times, the size of the wheel is very impressive, somewhat intimidating at first. Here it is:

Oracle frame
Nimbus gel seat
Tektro Auriga brake
Ardent 29 X 2.4
Dominator 2 rim
Oracle disk hub
Studded plastic pedals
KH moment 150mm

Pete at UDC Canada let me exchange the stock venture cranks for the moments, and was very generous with his time (UDC shop is in Calgary so I was able to pick it up in person.)

Just gave the old GUni a facelift. Kind of tricky controlling spray paint in 25mph winds, hence some unintended overspray, but a decent result. :smiley:

Nice paint job, I almost couldn’t see it there!

nice find

A friend where I work has started learning to ride. I let him use my old 20" to start with, and he wanted to pick up a used one of his own. I checked the local craigslist, and found this one in a consignment store nearby. We drove out at lunch time, offered $50, and it was a deal.
I never heard of this brand before (“Summit”), but it has a UDC sticker on the seat tube and an old KH seat. It’s got real old-school cottered cranks, so even though it’s got a real fat 20" tire, it’s not going to be doing many big drops. But for a learner I think it’s a great find for a great price. I rode it around the parking lot, and it rides real well. Cool stuff.

The rolling mount is worth learning. When using the brake you need to lean back, pull the grip handle upwards and then squeeze the brake lever.

Hope this helps.

Not the greatest picture but those don’t look like cottered cranks to me. They look like pre-Isis splined cranks with pinch bolts. And that looks like it might be a 20" x 2.5" tire (aka 19" wheel). I think your friend did well.

https://unicyclist.com//t/just-ordered-20-summit-trials-uni/59249/1

Nice story, that really is an awesome find!

Hey Schmolagin,
Thanks for that info! I’m pretty new to this, so I wasn’t familiar with this brand, but after reading those posts, it looks like it was a pretty good early trials model. I thought it looked like a good one! Good info on the early splined axles. (And yeah, I told him that if he ended up not wanting to stick with unicycling, I’d take it off his hands for the same price. I’m so generous…)
Thanks!
LanceB

Yeah, nice work Schmolagin. :slight_smile: