Post Your Current Projects Here

Just about 20 minutes so far. I’ve been messing with the brake and plan to get some longer practice this weekend. It’s a little like BC wheel but no worry about the tire rubbing your legs. It’s like coasting with a more solid base and a more comfortable place to put your feet. It’s easier than coasting on a freewheel unicycle if you’re going downhill. I want to test it on jumps and ramps. It’s nice and light with very little rolling resistance.

Sadly I don’t have any pictures to post, yet, but getting into unicycling also got me into wanting to build one… which made me go out and buy a welder. So now I’m learning to weld for fun.

I found a book on building unicycles with an angle grinder, a welder, and a drill, so I’ve been tinkering with that a bit. Nothing to show for it yet but it’s fun.

For my recent project I was inspired by LanceB Hot Rod.

I started with a 26" Torker LX and some old bicycle parts from a 1947 Monark Super Deluxe. I sand blasted all the parts, prep and painted them. Took all the parts I wanted chromed to a plating company. The white wall tire and fender are for a larger fork so I had to shime the bearings so the tire wouldn’t rub.

The plane is a hood ornament. I like the plane because a plane is always falling just like a unicyclist.

It was a fun project and I’m already thinking about doing another.

That’s pretty awesome. Is it ridable? Is the squish fork functional?

Love it! Very nice work.

I wondered the same thing. It looks like the hub is in the normal bearing holders and the suspension hoop just hooks to brackets attached to them.

Horn? Bell? A friction-drive generator headlight might be cool too.

Well done and thanks for the picture.

Killian and LargeEddie good observation. It is called a springer fork and it does not spring. Originally, I wanted it to be a springer fork, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. On a bike there is a triangle piece that is bolted to the hub and both forks, and the hub acts as a pivot point.

LargeEddie maybe my next Uni-Bike will have a horn and train light.

Killian I can ride it, but I don’t want to take a chance and damage it. At least not yet.

Wow that’s incredible. Nice job. I’d love to see a video of you riding it.

That is totally bitchin! Love the springer front end, and all the accessories. What a great job! (Glad to know the “Hot Rod” was mildly inspirational.)
We need to ride together sometime, really turn some heads. (Especially in a parade!)
Cheers!

Thanks guys. Lance I was hoping you would see it. I’ll ride with any time, let me know if your ever in the Chicagoland area.

If Torker saddles weren’t such a pain in the ass, I’d be really jealous. :wink:

Looks awesome!! :slight_smile:

Great Custom!

I appreciate that “outta the box” thinking! I’m inspired once again.

Question about MC2 bike

I wasn’t sure where the best place to post this question was so I’m putting it here. Has anyone been watching MC2 bike?

http://www.facebook.com/MC2bike
http://www.mc2bike.com/

It seems to me like this might have some unicycle implications including what seems like a very interesting hub:

Based on the video a year after that one, it appears they’ve gone with a fixed ratio with a drag brake on one side and standard disk on the other: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLXnsXQJsX8#t=15

Also, definitely freewheel.

Interesting but sadly not ground-breaking.

That is the most ridiculous bike I’ve ever seen.

The hub in Waalrus’ video looks cool though, specially as it is basically already a uni wheel/fork. How does it up-gear? It looked almost like a sequential gear as opposed to two different gears to switch between…

22" wheel for Unicycle Hockey. Has been the biggest bitch of a build.

Is that the new KH Spirit hub?

Interesting. I’ve never heared of 22" rims or tyres before. But for hockey, this could b a really great setup.

It is the new spirit hub. I bought two of them and built two 22" wheels from it. Unfortunately the left hand side of both the hubs appears to have been threaded too shallow so the bolt is screwed into both hubs and stuck so tight it feels like it is welded in. In talks about getting a replacement as it appears to be a manufacture fault or something.

They aren’t common which is why it was such a bitch to build. Aside from only two companies making the 22" rim/tyre (and costing a lot to get it to Australia) it requires custom length spokes that in Australia cost $100 for 36 spokes.

Ive been able to ride the completed wheel for hockey 3 times using 100 and 114mm cranks and it appears to work very well. Unfortunately I cant change the crank now because of the hub issue so I am back to dismantling the wheel again. :frowning:

Or you find a thread cutter and recut the thread on your own.

One of my LBSs has a thread rolling device and makes me spokes of any length if I need replacement spokes. But I don’t know how much I would pay for 36 spokes. Last time it was 10€ for 2 replacement spokes and truing the wheel.