Post Your Current Projects Here

Fat tire Surly freewheel to go with my Surly Conundrum.
I’ll slowly be adding a Magura brake, Zero saddle, Nimbus square taper cranks, etc. Then comes the adventure of learning to freewheel down sand dunes.

You are one intrepid girl! And a heckuva unicycle builder, too!

I’m scared out of my wits. But I imagine it will be a fun process to learn. :slight_smile:

I hope you guys all know that I don’t actually build my wheels. I just pick the parts and have my LBS do the wheel building. :slight_smile:

I hope I haven’t misled anyone.
But thank you for the compliment! :slight_smile:

Not really a project so-to-speak (just finishing to put together a 20 uni for my nephew) but more of a “Bri moment” :wink:

Got a black and red Torker saddle and tried to tone down the red sides by using a blue sharpie. I was expecting to get some dark result not completely black but beautiful blue either.

Ended up in a glossy purple finish when drying :smiley:

I still have to check how well the permanent maker sticks to the side fabric and if some veneer will be necessary but still a fun moment to share.

Haha, nice! That may be the prettiest dx saddle ever! Still, when I look at it I can’t help but think of all the pain they caused me. I think they were pretty comfortable for my wife though.

Peg unicycle and more adapters for attaching a unicycle saddle to a bike fork

Since I posted by Unicycle candidates for riding skateparks I’ve been wanting to try out a couple of the candidates I put forth, the peg unicycle and the drop plate unicycle. I’ve had my eye out for a cheap BMX fork and got a couple unsuitable ones from craigslist. When trying to take this project forward recently I discovered my BC wheel uses a rear wheel (where most use front) and that it’s difficult to find a wheel/fork with a 14mm axle so I went ahead and ordered a drift trike peg wheel and fork:

The wheel has a disc rotor mount and the fork has a mount for a caliper which is nice. This is the third drift trike front end I’ve converted to a unicycle. The first two were 1 1/8" (28.6mm) outer diameter and 1" (25.2mm) inner diameter and I checked the new one was 28.6mm outer diameter but I forgot to ask about the inner diameter which turned out to be 24mm. To get a seatpost to fit I’m using a 22.2mm one with an old 25.4-26.8 shim I hammered into shape and it works OK.

Like my other drift trike front ends I didn’t want to slot the fork in case I wanted to sell it later. I previously posted about an adapter I had fabricated for attaching a unicycle saddle to a bike fork. I came up with two other ideas for adapters.
[LIST=1]

• File the lip off a standard 25.4/28.6 Nimbus double clamp. Fit the bottom half over the fork and the top half over a 25.4mm seatpost that has a 25.4-28.6 shim. This doesn't seem super sturdy but I have very little seatpost showing on my 3.8x geared unicycle and will eventually use this method there.
  • Start with a 1 1/4" scooter quad clamp. Fit the bottom half over the fork that has a 28.6-31.8 front derailleur shim and the top half over a 25.4mm seatpost that has a 25.4-31.8 shim. [/LIST]

Until I get all the parts I’m using the filed Nimbus clamp on my peg unicycle with a PVC shim I previously made for fitting aero bars on my Shadow handle:

• Lookin’ good, waaalrus! Tried to ride it yet?

Something like that has been on my mind for a while. I’m interested to see how it works out.

Just about 20 minutes so far. I’ve been messing with the brake and plan to get some longer practice this weekend. It’s a little like BC wheel but no worry about the tire rubbing your legs. It’s like coasting with a more solid base and a more comfortable place to put your feet. It’s easier than coasting on a freewheel unicycle if you’re going downhill. I want to test it on jumps and ramps. It’s nice and light with very little rolling resistance.

Sadly I don’t have any pictures to post, yet, but getting into unicycling also got me into wanting to build one… which made me go out and buy a welder. So now I’m learning to weld for fun.

I found a book on building unicycles with an angle grinder, a welder, and a drill, so I’ve been tinkering with that a bit. Nothing to show for it yet but it’s fun.

For my recent project I was inspired by LanceB Hot Rod.

I started with a 26" Torker LX and some old bicycle parts from a 1947 Monark Super Deluxe. I sand blasted all the parts, prep and painted them. Took all the parts I wanted chromed to a plating company. The white wall tire and fender are for a larger fork so I had to shime the bearings so the tire wouldn’t rub.

The plane is a hood ornament. I like the plane because a plane is always falling just like a unicyclist.

It was a fun project and I’m already thinking about doing another.

That’s pretty awesome. Is it ridable? Is the squish fork functional?

Love it! Very nice work.

I wondered the same thing. It looks like the hub is in the normal bearing holders and the suspension hoop just hooks to brackets attached to them.

Horn? Bell? A friction-drive generator headlight might be cool too.

Well done and thanks for the picture.

Killian and LargeEddie good observation. It is called a springer fork and it does not spring. Originally, I wanted it to be a springer fork, but couldn’t figure out how to do it. On a bike there is a triangle piece that is bolted to the hub and both forks, and the hub acts as a pivot point.

LargeEddie maybe my next Uni-Bike will have a horn and train light.

Killian I can ride it, but I don’t want to take a chance and damage it. At least not yet.

Wow that’s incredible. Nice job. I’d love to see a video of you riding it.

That is totally bitchin! Love the springer front end, and all the accessories. What a great job! (Glad to know the “Hot Rod” was mildly inspirational.)
    We need to ride together sometime, really turn some heads. (Especially in a parade!)
    Cheers!

Thanks guys. Lance I was hoping you would see it. I’ll ride with any time, let me know if your ever in the Chicagoland area.

If Torker saddles weren’t such a pain in the ass, I’d be really jealous. :wink:

Looks awesome!! :slight_smile:

Great Custom!

I appreciate that “outta the box” thinking! I’m inspired once again.