Pictures of your latest ride

I thought, the second pic was made in Australia.

Hinton Muni Riding

My friend and I took our unicycles to the Hinton bike park over the weekend. Too bad I don’t have any good pictures of us riding in the skills park.

First post to this topic… I’m finally getting out of my immediate neighborhood, having no trouble finding places to ride. This park is just a couple of miles from home. It had some nice shady spots on a sunny day and plenty of challenges for a beginner such as myself.

LargeEddie, nice to see more people going off the pavement :slight_smile: Keep up :slight_smile:

And my RomUni trip is finished. We managed to ride all our planned route and a bit more. A trip summary and some photos will come once we get organized in daily life. So now just a teaser :slight_smile:

Love those highway switchbacks! It reminds me of the road in the movie Goldfinger, where James Bond is observing the title villain from above, but then almost gets shot by the would-be assassin on the switchback above him. That was supposed to be in Switzerland, but could have been filmed elsewhere.

Wow, a rider in the Greensboro area. I didn’t know anyone was out there. I’ve got family in Greensboro and I’ve been meaning to visit them so I could explore some of the trails you have out there. Bald Eagle, Owl’s Roost, and Wild Turkey are the ones that I’ve heard of.

Are you familiar with any of those trails? You up for riding any of them some day?.

Hey, thanks for the shout, JB. I know that whole area and where all those trails are but I can’t say that I know them. I’ve never been a mountain biker and I’ve just gotten started on unicycling this summer so my skills are far short of what I’d need for even the easiest of those trails. But the city’s Parks & Rec dept and the Greensboro Fat Tire Society do a fantastic job with them. I’m looking forward to the time when I can start exploring them.

From what I’ve heard it seems that Owl’s Roost is very challenging. Between that one, Wild Turkey, Reedy Fork, and the new one, Blue Heron, you can pretty much ride until your legs fall off along the chain of reservoirs all the way across the north side of town.

Good links here:
http://www.greensboro-nc.gov/index.aspx?page=3265
http://greensborofattire.org/trails/

Let’s stay in touch. I’m just working on baby stuff right now so it’s probably all either deathly boring for you or impossible for me at present, but it would be great to get to know some other local riders.

Took my MUni to Ischgl and went up to 2775m with the cable cars and lifts. The way back down was … let’s say … longer than expected, but awesome to ride (not challenging because of the trails but the ride took quite long ~5h).

GOPR1501~2.jpg

P1020163~2.jpg

P1020170~2.jpg

P1020176~2.jpg

P1020184~1.jpg

That’s what makes me wish I lived in Europe.

I guess I’m not the only one then.

Taken on the Groton rail trail this past weekend. 26 miles - not exactly a century, but a huge accomplishment for me just before my 2nd unicycling anniversary!

image.jpg

That’s excellent, Sam, a real accomplishment! Congratulations!

RomUni gallery is now up. You can also read the first part of trip summary on our RomUni.eu blog. Second part will come today or tomorrow.

Was practicing my hops today at the shore. That was very obvious - I can not keep my balance on small spots.

vookash, I looked through the RomUni gallery of your trip – what an adventure! How many miles/kilometers did you cover altogether? Looks like you really had to plan for all weather, from snow gear to shorts and t-shirts. Congrats on a great trip, and thanks for posting the great photos.

Out of curiosity, were you able to keep about the same speed with your Schlumpf hub as your companion on her bike? I’ve thought about getting one just for that reason.

Wow, I really like the pic with the flower bee and uni. :slight_smile:

Thanks for nice comments. It was really an adventure.

Lance, we did 550km in total, I would say about 500 really on route, remaining part for getting to or from airport and wondering around Sibiu.

If she wanted she would be faster on flat and definitely faster on descends. On climb I was faster. But on more or less flat ground we were able to cruise at around 16km/h, which was comfortable for both of us with all our luggage.

My first “real” muni ride

I’ve been practicing by tooling around on double track and short sections of WIDE single track, but today decided to give it a go on a real trail that’s actually used by mountain bikers. Took me 1:45 to ride about 6 miles, but I had a BLAST. Can’t wait until I can cruise instead of fighting it all the way.

I chose the trail because it is mostly flat, with good views (not that I saw much of 'em, staring at the ground the whole morning).

I forgot how much exposure there was, though! Good thing I wasn’t looking up! :astonished:

At one point, I had a bit of an issue with an UPD in a poorly chosen location.

I managed to dismount with no problem, but missed catching the uni on my way off. Oops. Thought for a second it was gonna start cartwheeling rather than sliding. That could have been a LONG hike to get it.

All in all, a great morning, and the views at the end were well worth the aerobic beat-down I took.

Which trail did you ride? I’m guessing from the view of Kennecott in one of the pics that you were somewhere in the southeast part of the valley, but I don’t know any of the trails down there. I like the sound of “mostly flat” for when I finally decide go on my first muni maiden voyage.

Pipeline in Millcreek Canyon. Starting at Church Fork and going West toward the canyon mouth is really quite flat. From the parking lot a church fork, you’ll have to hike the first part up to the Pipeline trail (unless you are one bada$$ hill climber - I find it hard on my mountain bike). But, it’s only a hundred yards or so. Then, blissfull rolling flats. The trail is about 3 miles (one way) to the viewpoint.

If/when you decide to do it, get in touch. I’d love to ride it with you. I’ll PM you my cell number.

Will