Pictures of your latest ride

on the search for more MUni trails :stuck_out_tongue:

Excellent photo! Not a unicycle in site but we can all relate to the expression on his face :smiley:

More great pictures! AustinLee did you ride on that roof? COOL!

Chris, Tomas, and Steve came down from Phoenix to join me for a Muni Campout last weekend. I am thinking of aiming for a wider audience next time (maybe in the spring). Everyone had a blast, and my legs took a whole week to get back to normal!

IMG_2927.jpg

IMG_2930.jpg

IMG_2994.jpg

Grischa Muni Challenge:
(more pics in this thread, there is also picasa link)

Saturday Aug 21, 2010. Palos Verdes to Venice beach, CA. 33.8 miles round trip.
This video is from a brief early-morning session at Venice Skateboard Park…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7neKp5v6tg

Video creds to Unigeezer… and he gets credit for helping me get started and acclimated to distance unicycling on a 36’er!

I was watching a video of biking on Dartmoor recently and noticed a trail I didn’t recognise. It turned out to be right next to where I usually ride, and I’d managed to go straight past it pretty much twice a week for the past decade and a half. Yesterday I went to see what I’d been missing, and it was well worth checking out. Quite different from most of my local tracks, mostly narrow and tree-lined, big rocks. Very muddy and slippery at the moment though after all the rain we’ve had recently, making it extremely hard to ride - it’ll be better when it’s a bit less wet.

Rob

Yeah well like I say, I didn’t take them, I didn’t have a camera on me and I was alone.

Edit about being the first:

DAMN!

Not too long ago either. No evidence that it was actually done, that looks like the top of them to me. I will keep looking for pics of me though.
I was wearing a white-ish shirt and jeans if anyone sees one!
I’m deffo the first person to unicycle down the ramp by the side. No way that kid did it. It was tricky as hell. :smiley:
Looks like he only went down them too so I might still be the first!!!

Mowcius

Tsk. Tsk. Being a Coloradoan you should know that Mt. Elbert at 4,399 meters (14,433’) is the tallest, Mt. Massive (Elbert’s next door neighbor) is the SECOND tallest at 4395 meters (14,421’). :wink: I unicycled down Mt. Elbert (East Trail) almost a year ago… good times. :smiley:

haha, cool doggy! :smiley:

Ya, well not on it, since it was really slanted and my balance dissappeared… so I rode down off it…:p:D :astonished:

Very weird day today! Starting with ominous warning lights on my car’s display, and then a massive pinch flat after only 30 minutes at kenter whoops. Then spotted a good sized rattler. Oh well, it could have been worse. :o

These wtb stout 29er tires are light, which is nice, but also quite weak on the sidewalls, and even with seemingly adequate psi, it still tends to “collapse” easily on even smallish drops. It’s almost like a balloon in the sense that no matter how much air is in it, it still compresses easily, and the lack of good sidewall support is the main reason.

This is where the pinch flat happened. I’m putting my “dissent” back on. It’s double walled and has a wire bead. The stout is single walled and folding bead.

Simple solution: add more air pressure, you are running it too low if that is happening.

What PSI are you running that is “adequate”?

The Dissent seems overkill for most terrain that is ideal for a 29er, I have been doing all types of muni on my 29er with the Nevegal, I usually have it at 38-42psi depending on the terrain.

I’ve tried higher psi, but then it’s like a brick. There seems to not be much margin between too little and too much psi, and so I can’t find that “sweet spot” of psi as I can so easily with my 24 MUni’s intense, my trials 19" try-all, and my 36ers nightrider. The stout “folds” much easier than any tire I’ve ever used. The sidewall is just thin and weak compared to the other tires I use. It simply is not made for extreme use, with lots of drops and such, but works well for xc riding.

The dissent will definitely be a better 29er tire choice for more extreme riding, and the reason is pretty clear; it’s double walled, has more aggressive and thicker tread, and a wire bead. It is a bit heavier, but will certainly be much less prone to folding and pinch flatting. And I can dial in a good psi to get plenty of compression, yet still not come close to bottoming out or folding over.

Part of it is the rim width which makes the high volume tire want to fold with lower psi. It is a little pricy but I have had good luck with converting to tubeless with a Stan’s liner and a Specialized Captain 29X2.3. It dosen’t want to fold as easy and with no tubes there are no pinch flats.

I did a “ghetto” tubeless conversion on my 29er (narrow KH rim) with a Continental Mountain King 2.4" tire. I had no pinch flats, but I still kept bottoming out. When I pimped up the pressure to rock-hard, the tire would then “burp” on big drops. It immediately sealed itself again, but required me to stop and pump it up some more.

I want to try tubeless again now that I have a wide rim 29er. Maybe today is the day become active:)

Perhaps you got the wrong Stout. There are two sorts: one with steel wire bead and another that is foldable. The foldable has much thinner side walls.

Yeah I talked with Josh (UDC) about it a few months ago, and he did mention the 2 stouts. I’m pretty sure mine is the folding type.

Rob, I am soooooooo jealous! :sunglasses: