Pictures of your latest ride

Nice pics, Joe, and it sounds like a burly ride. What’s the jagged peak in the 4th pic?

Sounds like you’re hooked! Did I ever see you when I worked front desk, early 90s, at Goldminers in Alta? You look kind of familiar.

Heres a couple from my latest ride. A few of us from Voodoo Unicycles went to Edinburgh, Scotland to demo at a new skatepark. The Clan bike trials team were there so we let them have a go on our unis

Danny Macaskill:

Ali C:

Duncan Shaw:

Heres a few pictures from the rest of the weekend:
Jason:

Joe:

Leo:

Me:

From the drive up north:

Edd

I received some Bivy equipment for my birthday at the weekend so I took my MUni for a night in the woods. I started out with my sleeping bag strapped to the back of my Muni, which was okay but made the hills hard work and the technical bits tricky, so the next day I put in in my rucksack which was much better. I had a good night, dry and warm, and awoke to a Pheasant’s cry and the sight of some Deer at sunrise.

All the photos were taken via the camera’s self-timer.

4598432848_0fc4317a01.jpg

4598433394_9e5f8e8a58.jpg

4598433172_a7eb66b649.jpg

4598433286_df996d6a68.jpg

4598432976_06d1640d52.jpg

4597815961_463afac739.jpg

On a recent business trip in the Blue Ridge Mountains of western NC I took the opportunity to ride some Muni at the Bent Creek and Tsali National Recreation Areas. Here are some pictures and a frame grab from a video of my adventure. If Bill Spears, grandfather of NC Muni, frequents this forum, one of the mt bikers I encountered at Bent Creek sends his greetings (don’t know the biker’s name). It’s a small world!

Picture from a 4 mile ride on my first day.

Another picture from the same ride.

Picture from a fun but grueling 11 mile ride with lots of ups and downs, narrow trails cut into steep slopes, and some great views from summits like this one.

Frame grab (at about 3:50 in the video below) of me unicycling across an ~100 foot long suspension bridge that spans the Nantahala River. I surprised a few paddlers below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_spQYxXJm0w

smIMG_7517.jpg

day 2.bmp (1010 KB)

Hey patrick, I don’t think Bill visits the forum, but I’ll be sure to extend the greetings. I’m glad you enjoyed bent creek. It really is awesome out there. You should definatly make it out to the munifest, and if you are planing to be in that area again, maybe we can plan a group ride.

Greeting from Salt Lake City

Hey Steveyo;

Lots of folks tell me that I look familiar, although I used to tele ski Alta quite a bit … even more so a few years back … so it’s entirely possible you’ve seen me at Goldminer’s. I’m also an ultra runner and know quite a few folks from the trails and local marathons. I even was President of the Salt Lake City Track Club for a couple of years.

I noticed your name a while ago when searching old posts for locals who ride Muni. I have one friend/coworker I ride with quite a bit, but I’m looking for others. I only “discovered” Muni about a year ago, and am totally re-hooked on unicycling in general. I say “re-hooked” because I started riding about 40 years ago, and let it lapse. I had no idea how much the sport had evolved and have been lovin’ every minute of my “return” to it.

If there are any other Salt Lakers that want to get together to ride, please PM me. I try and ride the Millcreek Canyon Pipeline Trail regularly, and occasionally goof around on my 20" at Liberty Park, or up at the U. of U., and, of course, I ride my 36-er on the Jordan River Parkway, etc.

Cheers,

UPD in Utah

@AustinLee - Wow! I thought it’s been a bit chilly for the time of year here, but it hasn’t quite got that bad! I didn’t know where you were so looked up the town on the map, expecting it to be in the far north - very surprised to find it’s on a level with LA.

@Jap - Nice one, you survived then :slight_smile: Hope you had a good birthday.

@Edd - Looks like that bike trialser is doing OK on the uni. I suppose there’s a lot of balancing on one wheel in bike trials, but it’s not really the same skill - I’m hopeless at wheelies and manuals on bikes. Like the pics as well.

Rob

Liberty Bell

Right to left 7,720 ft Liberty Bell, Concord Tower, Lexington Tower, and 7,760 North Early Winters Spire. You might be able to pick out the road that I came down under Liberty Bell. Skiers raised their beers to me as I road past.

1 Like

Thanks, Robbie. I’ll be at the Asheville Muni Fest for sure. Bent Creek has great trails for muni!

Yeah, but we are 5,000 feet higher!

@ Jap:what did you use as a sleeping pad? What were the rest of your pack’s contents? Total weight of supplies?

How do you like the LX? 24"?

Mine is a red 26" I found the seat pure torture, so I put on my DX post & KH Freeride seat. MUCH better. Rolls nice and smooooth:) The spokes feel flimsy:o and the right crank bent in a mild UPD :frowning:

I managed to fit in a 2.5" knobby (had to shim the bearing caps 1 mm for it to fit). I’ve only ridden it in the driveway w/ that tire though.

I used a 3/4 length inflatable mattress, which it tucked inside the bivy bag with my synthetic sleeping bag. Other than that I had three litres of water and some food, none of which required cooking so I left my stove at home. I took a spare base layer to sleep in (and ride in on day two) and a change of socks/underwear. I also carried my usual tool kit. I’m not sure of the total weight , but I guess around 7kg including food and water.

That would make a difference. The map I looked on didn’t have heights marked.

Rob

The LX is my first uni and it’s been good to me, but I’m already dreaming of a KH 24"Guni. I put a Kenda Kiniption 24x2.3" tire on it, which fits fine and gives me some more shock absorption for off roading than the 1.9" original tire. I replaced the stock plastic pedals with metal pinned platform pedals I found on sale at Performance bike. That has helped me ride in the rain and dew without my feet sliding around. Yea, I agree with you that the seat is torture – that will be the next thing to go. So far the wheel and cranks have held up nicely. I got the LX online for about $110 so I can’t complain.

And an old favorite:

I skipped work on Tuesday to ride with my dad up in the Adirondacks. We did part of a course used for an upcoming race called the Blackfly Challenge. The race is a 40mi, mostly dirt road, ride from Indian Lake to Inlet New York. Steveyo is doing the race in June but I’m out of town then so instead I just got this abbreviated preview.

My Dad and I drove up and rode a few miles of road before getting to the dirt. In total rode in 1.5hrs out and then back a little faster (more downhill on the return), taking our time and enjoying the scenery, having lunch etc… total of 20mi and 1000ft vert gain.

The ride was great, the dirt road is in good shape and the hills were rolling and not too killer. I had my 36er guni with 165’s which was fine for the climbs and superb for the downhill. The road starts with a few houses here and there, but scenic, and then just plows through the woods. Shady, lakes, views, even still a bit of snow up there now. I wish I could do the full course, need to go back! This will be a great race and anyone with a free day on 12 June should join Steveyo on it!
Ro

From a MUni ride on a local mountain bike trail today. Crazy steep!:smiley:

P5120129.jpg

@ I Uni nice one! cool picture.

The high temp today was 79! Likely to be the last time we see that until October, so I sneaked out of work early to hit one of my low elevation trails before I have to start getting up at oh-dark thirty or heading up the mountain to higher elevations

50Year.jpg

46 and still skinny after all these years - must be all the unicycling!

50year2.jpg