NYC Century Ride (Sept 7, 2008)

I doubt that it’s a problem. Ppl take bikes all the time on Amtrak, right? I’d ask ahead of time. Maybe you need a lock. And there is always the bus to Port Authority, NYC. They let you take a bike if it’s in a box, and I’ve put many a uni on the bus with only one driver who gave me a pain in the a$$ about it. Basically, if it’s covered in even a garbage bag you’re prolly ok. That worked for me a few times. Gen’ly they put my unis in a separate compartment to avoid problems. As for Amtrak, I’m afraid I can’t be more helpful.

thanks for the offer but my brother lives right off of broadway, if david runs out of room, i might be able to talk my brother into letting one or two people stay over too.

Could be. I don’t know what second place would be, though there were at least 7 century riders in the “America’s Most Beautiful B*ke Ride” last year around Lake Tahoe (written up in the current issue of Uni Magazine). Total number of unicyclists was about 14. Some only did part, and the rest did the actual loop around the lake, at 72 miles. BTW the lowest elevation on that ride is 6300’, with plenty of climbing. The NYC Century should be relatively flat by comparison? And way flat compared to Nova Scotia! :slight_smile:

Having ridden unicycles in the 5-Boro Bike Tour many times, I think it would be a blast to do. Too bad it’s the day after Andy and Irene’s wedding (Minnesota), which would take precedence. But alas, I don’t think I can make either, after RTL, NAUCC and UNICON…

Foss: I’m not sure how many unicyclists we’ll have, but I know we have the following riders as of now:

David Stone
Perry Woodin
Steve Relles
Roland Kays (likely)
einrad101 (likely)

So far we have no interest from my club (other than my brother, who can’t make it because he’ll be officiating at the wedding of the year). c

registered, i will see you guys on the 7th!!

David Stone
Perry Woodin
Steve Relles
einrad101

Roland Kays (likely)

Claude “munimag” – possible

Adam Cohen? Joe Merrill? Anyone else???

Add me to the list, I’m 90% certain at this point. Just got home from a 24 hour adventure race . . so at this point anything sounds easy :smiley:

Geoff Elder

Oops, I spoke too soon. I have something else going on that day, so I can’t make it…

Have fun!

hey i have a question, i was looking at my calender and realized sept. 7 is closely in on me and i realized i need to start training!!
what is the best why to train for this ride? earlier in the year i did a 40 mile bike race, and i trained for that by riding 10+ miles everyday. Though i am thinking that 10+ miles isnt going to cut it for a 100 mile tour.
So does anybody have any tips to help me get in shape without riding my unicycle 20-30 miles a day?

This is how i am going to go about it:
10+ everyday
and a 40 mile ride every two weeks
Do any experienced distance riders have any other tips?
I would really appreciate it!!

On training:

Actually, that’s a LOT more than I’ll be doing. I’ve basically ridden 15 miles since the Lobster. I’ll try to get in a few more rides before the big day.

If you’re already in good shape, then you’re pretty much all set. It’s not a race, so you need a comfortable seat and some good riding pants, a decent liquid-delivery system, and a unicycle. There’s not much more than that, esp’ly since they provide food and liquid at 15 mile intervals, on average.

Your regimen sounds great, tho it’s def’ly more than I ever did before my previous centuries. I should point out that in both cases, I rode a few miles a day, everyday, for months ahead of time as part of my regular commute and on errands, etc. I just never thought of it as ‘training.’

ok thanks a lot, i guess after reading that does sound like a bit. i’ll just make sure to ride to everyday! which shouldnt be a problem!

Roland Kays is now confirmed and paid up!

Just swapped back to my road tire on my 29guni, muni guni will have to wait another month I suppose.

I can’t wait to ride across the Brooklyn bridge!

Roland

it’s great to have you with us!!
i hope i can get my guni before this starts :frowning:

Confirmed riders:

David Stone
Perry Woodin
Steve Relles
einrad101
Roland Kays

Claude “munimag” – possible

Ok, folks. Here is the drill (and we have quite a long time before Sept 7, but I’ll be gone for a few weeks before then, so better safe than sorry):

We should plan to meet at 5:15 or so at the start, which is (I’m pretty sure) 110th St and Central Park (it’s that gen’l area – it’s quite a wide starting spot).

Make sure to bring all your transportation alternatives stuff.

We should try to go to the front of the ‘line’ since we have unusual vehicles (that’s been the rule in the past).

We’ll ride with the training-wheelers (ie, bikers) for a mile and then head west to the lovely bike path, entering around 96th St and Riverside Drive (RSD). That gives us a great ride all the way down towards Chambers St, where we cut over for the Brooklyn Bridge. Incidentally, this path, which traces my old commute to work, also takes us near Ground Zero.

Once over the bridge, we head south a bit (with everyone else) till we have a break at Prospect Park. After that, the ride is much less crowded. I can also take us to the Park using unconventional means (that is, a different route that’s not approved for 6000 bikers but would be ok for us and also quite lovely).

David

Oh – one more thing, guys. Dress appropriately, if possible. It can be pretty warm during the day and pretty chilly at 5:30 am (and in the later part of the day).

And don’t forget sunscreen.

I’ll be away for two weeks, but I’ll be checking email, so feel free to write or pm me in the next few weeks.

BTW, I got an email from the org’ers that said that the bibs will be sent out soon. If yours doesn’t come, DON’T WORRY. They really don’t check, and anyway, you’ll be with a few other unis, so it’s not like we’re trying to go unnoticed. Just make sure to get there early. If you don’t have my cel #, pm me.

See you soon!

I’ve got my Bib and should be all set for Sunday. Right now they have Hurricane Hanna rumbling through the area on Saturday, I hope its out of the way by Sunday.

Start time is 6am, right, do we really need to meet up at 5:15?

Do they provide enough food at the rest areas, or do you bring lunch, or buy it on the way?

Roland

ps, whats the final uni rider count? I heard a rumor Adam was joining

i think riding through a hurricane would make the ride quite a bit of fun :slight_smile:
if other people are getting there at 5:15 i will get there too

from what i read online they provide “snacks” so you might want to bring/buy your own lunch.

im bringing some cliff bars and gu to eat along the way.

i know i am going to be there