Northern Virginia Trials and Muni Weekend

I’m gonna be away all day tomorrow. Would’ve liked to come along. Where are you gonna ride? I’ve only got a trials uni and a 24" muni.

Too late to edit.

Directions to Difficult Run parking lot from I-95 heading north:

Get onto I-95 N
Take exit to 495 towards Tysons Corner, inner loop of the beltway
Take exit 44 for Georgetwon pike, and keep left at the fork
Turn left onto Georgetown pike

once you’re on georgetown pike, stay on for a little more than 3.5 miles. After you drive over a bridge, drive about .1 miles and look to your left for a gravel parking lot. its right after a big curve in the road.

When I get a chance I’ll type up short directions to Fountainhead, and next week I’ll give you a phone # to call if you have problems.

Hope to see you there.

Edit- Frank, sorry to hear that. Have you heard from Max or Ryan or any of those guys about coming up? I’ve got a couple people coming the first weekend, but it would be great if they are able to make it.

Just got my schedule for next week. They got me working 7am-7pm Saturday after Thanksgiving, and I’ll be travelling all day Friday. But I definitely plan to make it to the Dec. 15th ride.

I’m gonna get on my coker and do the 12 mile difficult run ride from Reston to Great Falls, and then loop back on the road down some roads that will follow the potomac and then connect back on to Springvale to Baron Cameron and back to Reston. You need to get yourself a bigger wheel!

I’ll most likely come to the thanksgiving weekend one…I can only do trials and urban stuff. I don’t have a Muni unicycle and I’m not real good at it, either. I like street riding & urban stuff.

I took my coker out from Reston to that parking lot at great falls. The part from Reston to Leesburg pike (rt 7) was the best, and there were a few sections I couldn’t ride down/up. I think my 29er would be great on it though.

I went a little bit past the parking lot towards great falls national park, but didn’t go far b/c I had another route home planned. I’m guessing we will be riding towards the national park from the parking lot, so it will be all new to me. Also…parking seemed to be a pretty hectic situation yesterday. People were waiting for cars to leave so they could park. You might want to look into other parking options, I just don’t know of any other ones.

I’ve never had too much of a problem with finding parking spots. Maybe I’ve just been lucky. Of course, it’s always much busier on weekends.

From the parking lot there are two trails you can take. One has an information sign at the start, and the other one takes you back towards the bridge on Georgetown pike. Which one did you take? We’ll be going back towards the bridge, downstream to get to the rocks.

Are you coming to Friday and Saturday, or just one or the other?

I started in Reston behind the ice rink and went a long way and ended up at that parking lot (I guess the end where that information sign is). If I would have kept on going I would have gone the way you described (towards the bridge).

I am not sure what all I am doing this weekend, but I’ll try to make it to both. I have 3 unicycling dvds as well if people wanted to watch those. As well as a bc wheel for people to try.

Ok, who besides Me, Seamus, and siafirede are gonna make it? zfreak? DK? Joey?

sorry, can’t make it. maybe next time.

I sadly won’t be able to on friday, but i think i’m going to come out on saturday…that’s gonna be at fountainhead, right?

I’m pretty much a beginner, just learning to do (tiny) hops and i can’t idle yet. But i like to think i’m halfway decent at XC type stuff as long as the logs aren’t any bigger than i can roll over.

Those are some good directions to fountainhead. Just remember, when you are looking for Hampton road, look for a fire station at the intersection of Hampton and Route 123.

It would probably be a good idea to post or PM your phone # to the people interested in going. What times are you thinking about meeting for fri/sat?

Weird… I thought I posted times, but I just checked and didn’t see any.

How bout 1:30 on Friday, and 10:00 on Saturday?

I don’t have a cell phone, so later I’ll post a number you can call.

Friday ride time is changing to 2:00pm. We’ll meet at that time in the parking lot and then walk to the rocks.

I’m PMing this to everyone who said they were coming, and a phone numberto call for everyone.

Okay, sounds good. Check your PMs tomorrow , b/c I’ll have a definite answer by tonight.

I can only make it on Saturday. Is that number you PM’d a cell that you will have with you?

I’ll be there on Sat. Either with my 29er or my coker.

im going to try to talk my parents into letting me drive up there for Saturday. wish me luck

Yes.

For getting to fountainhead, don’t use mapquest or google maps, their ending location is wrong, and you’ll end up in the wrong place. Use the directions I posted.

See you around 10am, I PM’d you my cell number earlier as well.