Northern Virginia Trials and Muni Weekend

if its thanksgiving weekend, chances are I’ll be able to make the trip.

$60 round trip NYC-Richmond. Once, on a moment’s notice, I actually went up to a uni event put on by Adam Cohen on Long Island and was back in Richmond within 24 hours. Even sold enough “Hell on Wheel” T-shirts up there to cover my expenses.

I can’t remember what movie they played on the bus, but I do remember that it was still in theaters at the time :roll_eyes:

Ok, I’ve narrowed down the weekend dates to two weekends.

Thanksgiving weekend or Dec. 14-16.

I vote for the Dec 14-16

Hey,

My mom just reminded me that by mid-december, it’s gonna start getting dark by about 5pm. I don’t get out of school til 2:40, so I could get to Difficult run by ~3:20, 15 minute hike in to the rocks, that puts us at around 3:40 assuming everyone is there at 3:20. By then we have only 1-1.5 hours to ride. I’m starting to think thanksgiving weekend is the way to go.

Dude, just skip school that day.

Or, bring some ipecac syrup with you to school, then tell your teacher you’re feeling really ill, and go to the nurse’s office. Take a swig of the ipecac right before you walk in, and you’ll blow chunks in a few minutes. Then they’ll almost HAVE to send you home.

…or he could just schedule it for thanksgiving.

But you see if he does that, I can’t go, I’ll still be in TX. :wink:

Nah but seriously, even if it is in Dec. I might be be able to go…last day of finals is the 14th…so even if I were to go, it’d be on the 15th. Unless I don’t have finals on friday the 14th…

But anywho.

It was just an idea that I know works :slight_smile:

I’m leaning towards Thanksgiving weekend, and then when you’re in town in Dec. let me know and we can work out a ride.

I’d like to ride with you sometime, max…but I’m not sure about Thx-day weekend. I"ll let you know if I can come…

I’ll do my best to make it up, but since I’m already asking off for Thanksgiving, it might be hard to get the weekend off too. I’ll let you know.

Ok.

If thanksgiving doesn’t work, instead of doing a Dec 14-16 Friday/Saturday thing we could just shift everything back a day and do Saturday trials/Sunday muni. Just a thought.

I might have to come out of the woodwork for this.

Well, Saturday sounds like a possibility for me…the Thanksgiving weekend. That’s the original date, right?

Hey,
This is looking pretty split, so here’s what I’m gonna do.

Thanksgiving day weekend is gonna be what I outlined in my first post, so Friday and Saturday rides. Unfortunately, I won’t have any space at my house cause we already have guests.

In December I’m gonna have just a small, informal muni ride on Saturday 15th at Fountainhead for whoever wanted to come to thanksgiving weekend but couldn’t make it.

Hopefully I’m gonna make this a fairly regular thing for anyone who can make the drive. Since Fountainhead is about 45 mins south of me its a little closer to anyone south that wants to make it.

Hope to see you at one or the other, or both.

I should be able to make the Dec. 15th muni ride.

However, I have next to no experience with actual muni, only light XC dirt trails type of stuff. It’s hard to find real muni here in Denton, TX. There’s plenty near my house in PA, but I won’t be be arriving in PA until the 14th, then heading to VA the 15th.

All I’m saying is, my skill level will be low. However, I’m still ready and willing to throw myself down a mountain, I’ve been doing that for years on skis (going much faster!)

I leave to go back to TX somewhere around Jan. 13th or 14th. If you plan another ride for sometime in early Jan, I’m probably in. And that’ll give me time to improve my skills on some of Pennsylvania’s Appalachia.

And lastly: how hard will the Dec. muni ride be? I read your description from your initial post, but still need some clarification. If its going to be all tough technical stuff and I’ll be the only n00b, I might sit that one out.
I guess I should have asked for clarification earlier, my error.

I’m not sure what the original poster is trying to set up exactly, but I think most of fountainhead is fast singletrack. I will be using either my coker or 29er unless someone brings an additional muni for me, and I am not too worried about using the big wheels on light muni trails. I don’t think you will have much trouble, and even if you do, the group will take it slow.

I think sometime soon, I am going to set up a 20-25 mile loop that will be half XC through wooded paths from Reston to Great Falls (12 miles following difficult run), and then half will be on the road/bike path. If anyone going to the NOVA meetup is interested, I might be able to schedule it on that Sunday after Thanksgiving. I am not sure how my schedule looks though. Here is a quick outline of what I plan to do:

(seems to display better in firefox)

I guess what I was trying to say is that it is mostly singletrack, but there are deffinitely some shortcuts and stuff that can be taken that are pretty technical. I would bring a wheel bigger than 24" though if you have one.

Singletrack sounds do-able for me. If there’s anything too tough, I’ll walk it I suppose. I just wanted to make sure it was ALL stuff I’d have to walk :o

The biggest wheel I’ll have is a 24" :confused:

I’d love to get a KH29 or Nimbus 29, but I probably won’t have the money for one until sometime early '08.

In the meantime, I’ll try to find stuff as close to singletrack and muni as I can around here in Denton to improve my skills. I learn pretty quick, so I think I’ll be ok :slight_smile:

Maximus: I am doing a ride on Saturday if you want to join. What wheel sizes do you have?