Nimbus Hatchet - Which rim/tire size would you build?

Did you miss the above post about it not fitting?

I have to say Iā€™m firmly in the camp of people who think that the Hatchet looks ridiculous without a fat tyre in it. Seeing it side on like the pictures above doesnā€™t tell the whole story.
Yeah you can fit other wheels in such a frame (I have a 26" freewheel in a 36" QX frame right now), but it always looks a bit silly, doubly so with the extra width.

i did miss that i guess

Any idea when the Nimbus Hatchet will be back in stock on unicycle.com ? I want the full 29" setup with brake but I donā€™t want to build it myself from parts.

OP here, life got in the way and I never wound up building the 27.5 hatchet the way I wanted. Finally stashed enough coin to make it happen and its been out of stock. I actually messaged them today with the same question and am waiting on a reply. Ill let you know what I find out.

Iā€™d go with the fattest 26er I could fit in it. If I were going to go with something smaller Iā€™d choose a different frame.

2 Likes

Judging by other sources, I would guess July

P.S. Yes that UDC :uk: but I also read elsewhere that UDC :de: would get new stock around the same time, so perhaps UDC :us: is the same.

Just confirmed with Josh at UDC US July it is.

1 Like

could you try something like this perhaps?

Whew thatā€™s sketchy looking. I just ordered a nextie 27.5 x 85mm double wall carbon rim, nimbus 32h 125mm hub, and a maxxis Colossus 27.5 x 4.5 for a hatchet build. Hopefully I donā€™t need to resort to this.

Hi unisomniac,

Do you have your frame yet ? Would love to see this once built so please attach some progress photos if you dont mind.

I also have a hatchet i built using a dt swiss br710 rim,They sure are fun to ride even thou there clumsy great things to ride!!

Yes, something like that was what I had in mind, but I hadnā€™t thought of 3d printing something when I wrote the above post ā€“ Iā€™m maybe too old school (!) I did see this when it was originally posted and thought it was pretty neat. Iā€™m not sure how well the printed plastic stands up to being a bearing housing, but it is a good idea and nicely made.

That said, I think I agree with the sentiment that you really need to have a big fat wheel in a Hatchet :slight_smile: . UDC used to say on their Hatchet description that you could fit a 32" wheel in the frame, I was just checking for someone if it was the case (since I had just got my Hatchet frame and I have a 32" Oracle). Actually, you can fit a 32" wheel in a Hatchet frame, it is just that youā€™d have to do it without a tyre!

No frame yet. I figured I might as well build the wheel while I wait.

In my experience, 3d prints tend to be pretty strong. if you think regular filament wouldnā€™t be strong enough you can also print in carbon fiber.

It would probably be fine, I have no experience of the durability of the material, it would be under a reasonable amount of compression and also sheer forces. Basically I donā€™t know if it would end up breaking up ā€“ not that that would stop me giving it a go though :o) I did like it as a solution. I wasnā€™t aware that you could 3d print carbon-fibre.

I have always thought getting a 3d printer would be a reasonable idea for playing around with stuff like that ā€“ there are always too many other roads for oneā€™s money to run thoughā€¦

As a spacer between machined bearing caps I suspect itā€™d hold up pretty well as itā€™s mostly in compression, but still something like ABS would be a better bet than some basic PLA.

Well, you canā€™t really. You can print plastic thatā€™s got carbon fibre strands embedded in it, but the additional strength is nothing like a part actually moulded with carbon fibre as the strands obviously have to miniscule to fit into the filament and be squeezed through a tiny nozzle.
They donā€™t do anything for layer-layer strength (additives can often also make this worse), and are a good way to have to replace your nozzle frequently as the materialā€™s rather abrasive.

1 Like

I just wondered if the material would ā€˜crumbleā€™ given the way it is deposited, especially with sheer in the direction along the axis of the axle, but I guess it is also clamped up by the bolts. Iā€™d need to take a hammer to something printed to get a feel for it!

Anyway, what you say about printing carbon-fibre pretty much fits with what I would think. I didnā€™t actually think that any fibres that short would have any significant benefit over just ā€˜resinā€™. I didnā€™t really think about it wearing the nozzle though, more that it might clog it up. Either way, Iā€™ve learned something.

Does that end up being similar to glass fibre reinforced nylon?

How is the maneuverability of a hatchet compared to something like a 36ā€ (Coker with 4-ply tire and 48 spoke wheel), or a 24ā€ x 2.35ā€ Sun? A 26ā€ x 4.8ā€ hatchet came up for sale for $400. It looks like it is in nice shape. I think it would be slightly older than the currently sold ones since it has venture cranks in it, but it looks like a nice deal for a disk brake muni.

Somewhere in the middle between the 36" and the 24" Iā€™d say (unsurprisingly). Looks like a good deal to me, even if you donā€™t end up liking it, I bet you can resell it for similar money.

ItĖ‹s younger than mine (end of 2016), because it has the newer rim with the offset spoke lacing (with the non-offset I had quite an issue with the wheel keeping centered). And I agree with @finnspin that it is a good deal. Fat unicycles are a breed of their own, as fatb*kes are in the two wheeled world. I like mine very much.

1 Like