Post Your Current Projects Here

laced a wheel!

was easier than expected. used guide on Brit UDC website.

Nice!

Just curious, what are you intending to do with this unicycle? The cranks say Flatland, but the tire says Freestyle…

nothing special. built from parts off ebay and UDC. wanted to learn to build
wheels for my super motard.

Fatty Disc

With Surly Nate 26x 3.8

I think the control goes through pedals, meanwhile slim saddle gives more possibility for stiring unicycle between legs and you will value it if you try. The handle make the mount easier and lets to stay on legs in moving, but is not mandarory for common riding. This is video example, where I use bicycle saddle without any addition handle and without problems.

My latest project was a 26" Ultimate wheel. I described it here (scroll down for the project progress)

1 Like

Started this project before i learned how to riding. Finished after half a year, after buying 3 unicycles, after learning. Handmade:
frame, seatpost, brake handle holder made of old bicycle
hub made of fatbike bracket.

7 Likes

Bought new 28x3" tire. It didnt fit to my frame.
Modeled and 3dprinted 10mm spacer. Now it fits!
Unfortunately it is not possible to use the brake, but i can ride snow!

bearing_spacer_fit

10 Likes

Very nice!

My 4 year old son said that he want ride unicycle too. Smallest uni i have is 16 “. And its too big for him. I spent a day to build new frame for 16” wheel. Hope son will be able learn uni using this.

Idea of 3d printed bearing holders was taken from video.

5 Likes

This is great I applaud you in this project with your son!

Great little frame! And nice colour too, for a boy of 4 - did you simply paint the rim and the new frame? Now I wish him perseverance.

Thanks. After welding, the new frame was sanded and primed. I protected the tire and the spokes with paper tape and just painted it all using an old can of paint. Looks good enough if you don’t get too close.

Just before Christmas I was the grateful recipient of this lovely classic Suzue hub from Uni2ONE2.

But I was concerned about the condition of the threads for the crank nut on one side. It probably would have just about pulled up but I didn’t want to store up problems for the future.

Luckily I have a friend with a fully equipped machine shop, so I decided to take the offending external threads off and drill and tap the axle internally to accept standard M8 crank bolts.

On the lathe:

Partially threaded:

Anyway, yesterday I finally completed the build. The spokes I had previously ordered to rebuild the wheel (I had been planning to clean and paint the old rusty hub) were slightly too long, so I went to town with both ferrules at the hub flange and washers under the nipples to make up the difference. This did the trick and should make for a bomb proof wheel.

Very pleased with the end result and looking forward to the first ride this weekend (this is my daughter’s uni so she will be riding this one and I’ll be on my 24)

6 Likes

That is great! I completely missed the fact that the threads on that hub were a bit messed up.

I had a very quick swing of emotions as I read your post, which was similar to, “Oh, great! MuniEmu is using the Suzue hub for the build he mentioned! Oh, No! I didn’t notice the condition of those threads! Oh, yay! He has a friend with tools, and a plan! Great idea, by the way! And it all worked out!”

All of that in about 30 seconds.

I am so happy to see that it worked out for you!

1 Like

No worries, I didn’t spot it straight away either. Besides, I love fixing stuff so I was just happy I could give it a second lease of life. Nice 92mm spaced hubs seem to be really rare :+1:

1 Like

I am working on:
Lightest 36er ever
Lightest 27.5 ever
G29
Lightest 20 ever
Planning about modding again my Hunirex with a really light fat 26 road setup (is it better stat pedalling in low gear 29" or a virtual 40" with half the rotational mass?!)
Planning about building 3 or 4 different saddles
Planning about riding a unicycle sometimes
Planning about sleeping sometimes
Planning about taking pictures of unicycles
Planning about selling unicycle spares when I have enought time

6 Likes

The Zivit bearing clamps.
100km tested now.
Cost below 5€ for couple
1 minute for changing wheels

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how they hold up in real world riding. How long will they hold out? I also think a wing nut isn’t the cleverest way to secure them.

Dino, I use wing nuts more then two yers already,but on common bearing holders. Four wing nurs on one unicycle. About tousand km per year,no problem. There is not any trouble with them. So, wing nuts is not innovation now. The innovation is possibility to use only two nuts instead four, only two removing parts instead six (4 nuts + 2 holders), less weight, better look, easest removing ang installing a wheel.

2 Likes