Nextie 36" carbon rim

Because that’s the nominal diameter, and all products aren’t made to exactly that.

The Nextie rim is (according to their measurements which I’m inclined to believe) within spec for the ETRTO 787 spec.
Measuring the TM and NR are a little harder, but it’s clear just from experience that the NR is larger than ideal.

It is a balancing act between making a tyre that can actually be mounted and removed from on a rim, and one that has a bead as close to the BSD as physically possible.

Bike tyres used to be very much the same, with some being much easier to fit than others. This is still somewhat the case, but most manufacturers are targeting their tyres at tubeless use on hookless rims, and make them very tight in order to achieve this.

3 Likes

On the first road ride this morning (4.9.22) I noticed it was very hard to control, even though the 48 psi seemed optimal. Turned out that because the center treads are so worn down, the outer ramped knobs were making most of the contact, intermittently on either side. This caused some self-steer issues and erratic tracking. So after I got home I cut down all the outer knobs so that they are now lower than the center knobs. After a peliminary test ride it seems to have made all the difference.

3 Likes

Tweaking the new setup with the Nextie cf rim and T-Monster tire combo.

4 Likes

Terry, what do/did you use to cut the outer knobs? Razor blade? Or, is there something that works better?

I used an Xacto mini razor saw. It makes precision cuts and goes through the rubber knobs like butter. Just takes a while since there are so many of them.

2 Likes

You could just spin the wheel rapidly and hold a hot knife to the treads, but probably best to listen to Terry:)

2 Likes

I would use a high speed grinder while rotating the tire to contour it, a dremel to gouge out and redefine the tread as needed. Its been known to work with my motorcycles at differing tracks so why not here, the compounds are very close so should be worked the same ways.

@UniGeezer, do you know what your tyre weighs now?

I didn’t want to do that not only for the mess it would make but I hate the smell of burning rubber!

1 Like

Not without removing and weighing it, but I’m sure it’s lighter than new simply because of wear.

Btw, since cutting off the outer lugs, the tire’s main contact is again on the center knobs, and it tracks perfectly. There’s a little distortion in the pic, but you can see the dust picked up mainly on the center treads, and it has a nice rounded profile. Before shaving the outer lugs, it was much more of a square profile.

And with seasonal temperatures starting to rise, I’ve also gotten into the habit of deflating my uni tires by at least 25% when transporting them in my car or if I’ll be leaving them in the car for an extended, where they can get hot, causing the air inside the tire to expand and go boom! :grimacing: And since I have an digital tire inflator in the car, it takes only about 30-60 secs to get it back up to riding pressure.

51D2H0vabKL.SS284
I added this quick connector adaptor which makes inflating much easier and faster.
41kwAgyHiVL.SS284

6 Likes

Just a quick MUni minute riding my 36er with carbon rim and T-monster tire. Got it down to just 14.5 lbs and it sure is fun offroad!

4 Likes

Did 16 miles at ≈38PSI, all seemed fine. I checked it pretty regularly.

Vaguely warm weather (16C or so), periodic sunshine.

Thankfully it blew up about three hours later while I wasn’t riding it.

1 Like

So is this the one that you had 3 wraps of electrical tape across the whole rim bed? Was/is the tape still in place?
I wonder if you could add “something” thicker just in the little dip adjacent to the rim edge. Something thicker here would not effect the ability of mounting the tire as a full covering does.

Glad to hear you weren’t on it when it blew.

He really shouldn’t have to. If only Nextie had made & tested it properly!

Yes, and yes.

Based on how I could mount without too many issues, I would go for more wraps of tape in future, and also yes, more on the sides, keeping it out of the well.

Not sure how much I can be bothered to fiddle with it now though until new tyres appear.

1 Like

Same here. I am currently disassembling mine to use the hub for another build so i’m not tempted to continue riding it. I’ll hang it in the back of the garage and when a compatible tire becomes available i’ll be ready

Have you tried your T monster as @Hammer has good results with his so far

I was going to install it but upon closer inspection it’s got a damaged area on the bead which I am OK with on a dominator 2 but the luck i’ve had with the Nextie I’m not going to risk it. I must have damaged it last time I installed it around a year ago Using tire levers on an original stealth rim which is very tight.

The rim I am building is a second dominator 2 rim and it will find its way on it so not a total loss

1 Like

As long as the steel bead wire is intact and not crimped or bent, it should be ok to mount it.

1 Like

Wow, 38psi is apparently now the lowest pressure resulting in a blowoff. Just more confirmation that the NR is not compatible with this rim.

What I’m really wondering is if the King George ultimate (lite) would be equally as compatible as the TM, especially since it’s considerably lighter than the TM, and also because it has a more road-specific tread design which probably translates to lower rolling resistance.