Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

square taper notes…

Your new square taper cranks will loosen after the initial install. when a craking sound comes from them, immidiately tighten the crank bolts. the sound should not come back, and that’s it.
Pulling the cranks on and off repeatedly will cause the crank to seat further and further onto the spindle, and put that rotor closer and closer to the frame leg. there are spacers between the rotor and the crank spider, that may be moved from in between to the outside to position the rotor. The caliper also slides a little to the right/left.
with the caliper bolts loose, you can squeeze the brake to line it up perfectly, then (brake still squeezed) tighten the bolts.
If you’re doing street and bend the rotor, take a 5mm allen and pull the caliper bolts, put the bolts and washers in your wallet and electrical tape should tape the caliper to the front of the leg -then you can ride home. That means a 5mm and electrical tape in your backpack or camelback.

I think we need to cover this in a FAQ.

Turtle is at it again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rXRleKl12s

That Surley is a monster of a unicycle! how much does it weigh in with the Larry?

new-30.JPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogeratunicycledotcom View Post
The mounts for the brake are fixed to the frame so if you wanted to run a bigger rotor you will need to use an adaptor.

With adaptors… you can fit as big as you can get the adaptor.

Yes the hub is the same dimensions as the one fitted on the Oragon, but has a CrMO spindle.

80mm flange to flange and 16mm dishing

They are different since they do have different cranks on. You can guesstimate this as the hub is 25mm wider than a standard hub.

CrMO

It is the ISO standard. Clearance is about 16mm to the spokes

Hope that helps

Roger
It does! looks like the Oregon and Impulse hubs may fit your Nightrider frames. I have one of those, and I’m thinking of retrofitting an internal disc brake onto it. If that works out, perhaps retrofit kits may be made available on UDC! Like the impulse, the Oregon is a very cool rig!

I like the idea of adding a larger, or a custom rotor to the Impulse or Oregon for more power or a personalized look, it’s good to see it is standardized! Nicely Done.

This has not been tried yet. it would be easiest to just get an Oregon or Impulse Unicycle from UDC. However, if you have a Nightrider and are not currently considering an Impulse, what you propose is likely the case using the hub for the impulse or Oregon to upgrade your Nightrider to an Impulse with an additional part called the UCM.

We are working on a model of the UCM that will function with 160mm adapters and calipers for left side inboard rotors. If your disc brake is 180-203mm rotor with adapter, the current UCM should work.

We’re waiting for Josh’s input on the subject regarding current adaptability.

is this to anyones’ taste?

We should be making them available for $15 on the FB page soon! The Black shirts have gray logos, the pink feature black logos… We are looking into blue synthetic jerseys, anyone down?

I will buy some synthetic ones for riding. :slight_smile:

+1
especially if they have pockets :slight_smile:

I think I’d like a black one but I can’t ride in black this time of the year - fancy making light grey ones with black text?

+1
I don’t do blue if I can help it. :sunglasses:

I found a good deal on gray coolmax and screen printing on site… but no pockets. I’ll keep looking, or see if he can get them.

Just a grey T-shirt would be what I’d be after

jerseys sound nice

Yeah, much more mellow moo than other cows.

160mm inboard rotor testing…

We figure that a nightrider frame with an impulse disc wheel could be mated with our UCM without having to replace the nightrider to get the disc on your Uni… the 160mm adapter fit, but the caliper struck the UCM. So, we modified the UCM and the corrections will carry on to future production. this means that the UCM will work for the MountainUni right side outboard and for a nimbus left side inboard system from 160mm rotors to 203mm systems!

Cool, so I might put that disc brake on my older Nightrider as well.

Yup, that’s the plan… you can use the current UCM for the MountainUni system, or the second generation UCM to put the impulse hub with Bengal brake and 160mm rotor in your old nightrider, tell us if it’s square taper so we can send you a shim.

Sad news re Schlumpf compatibility

From the Schlumpf discussion thread https://unicyclist.com//t/schlumpf-hubs-general-discussion/108861/475:

Unfortunately, this seems to mean that the Mountainuni system is not truly compatible with the Schlumpf hub, at least not without significant risk of destroying the bearings. If I’m missing something, please let me know, because I’d really like a disc brake on my guni. But I’m not willing to directly contradict Florian’s advice to not use spacers with the geared hub.

P.S.: I’ve got a new-in-box unused set of Sinz ISIS 155 cranks that I’ll sell cheap if anybody wants them.

The reason I felt confident to try a spacer with the hub is that it had the exact same profile as the portion of the KH crank which contacts the bearing otherwise. It seems to be working fine. I have the older hub, but I imagine his advice would be the same for that one, too.

Oh well, I knew the combo of the Schlumpf and the Mountainuni disc brake system was too good to be true.

Jeff and Eric -

Given Florian’s advice, I’m plan to remove the disc brake steup from my guni. I’m thinking I’ll just keep it for use with my non-geared KH hubs.

Schlumpf Compatibility

My thought is that you may be reading into Florian’s comments one step further, and creating an inconclusive blanket statement. I completely understand those not will to take a risk in damaging a $1500 piece of very cool gear. I don’t have a Schlumpf of my own to test with our system, but I have chosen to make a time and monetary investment in advancing Unicycle braking systems. It has been applied to many different frames and hubs (including Schlumpf) and to my knowledge, are all working without issue. It’s not the Mountainuni System that’s incompatible, but rather Florian’s statement about using a spacer with the Schlumpf. NO blanket statements from us at this point, but we are the closest product that Schlumpf owners have to a working viable disc brake system as constituted. And I believe over time the proof of concept will be shown to work well with the early adopters. Thanks to those who have and continue to buy the Mountainuni systems!

I love the disc brake on my Impulse so I really struggled with this decision when I was putting my 36G together. In the end, I decided to only use the components (KH frame, Moments cranks, etc.) that Florian Schlumpf had listed on his website. I will have to adjust to the “all or nothing” stopping power of Magura brakes and I will truly miss the ultra smooth modulation of the disc brakes on my Impulse. So this discussion (as big a fan as I am of the MountainUni system) is somewhat of a relief to me knowing I made the right (and it seems for now, only) decision. Good luck (not that you need it. you have a solid business plan) with your system and thank you so much for all you have done to advance our wonderful sport.