Mountainuni Disc Brakes Have Arrived!

go to mountainuni facebook page and order a complete system, list size cranks with UCM and buy it. as far as the knurled bearing, I was worried about the clearance of the case bolts of the schlumpf hub and adapter bolts from the UCM. Steveyo proved that is not an issue, and you can run the knurled bearing on the left.

Today I got a first real test of my brake… riding it in the muddy valleys was fantastic… I don’t think I could ride big parts of it without the brake. And the feeling to be able to ride out of when my wheel started sliding for some half a meter was great.

I put new pads on my brake yesterday because the one I got it with were in quite a bad condition. I haven’t noticed big change but anyway I planned to do it. Also my Deore M555 brake have IS mount and it is quite tedious to position it properly so nothing rubs. I was thinking about getting a PM mounted brake, but eventually I succedded and it works really fine.

this is a good deal!

Is that adapter to go from 160mm or 185mm to the desired 180mm for the MountainUni system? Also, I’ve been looking at disc brakes and I don’t know what sizes the various abbreviations like PM, IS, and XX correspond to. Could someone explain that to me?

HI Scott-

PM stands for “Post Mount” and IS stands for “International Standard”. “XX” I haven’t see come up, but can you help with context or where you saw it? I’m sure kb1jki will chime is with further clarification as well.

“XX” I believe would be referring to the new Avid line: http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-special-categories/2010-avid-xx-disc-brake-6346.2547.html

to paraphrase the article, it uses the best tech from both the juicy ultimate and the elixir lines, along with some new tech. AND… its super light…
AND… pricey.

there are International standard mounts that are simply a tab welded onto the frame with two holes through the tab where bolts pass through into the side of the caliper perpendicular to the rotor. Then, there are Post Mounts where bolts pass through the top of the caliper into the fork parallel to the rotor.
it is best to get a post mount style caliper, that comes with an international standard adapter. you get the most lateral adjustment that way. if you take brakes off a mountain bike, they most likely have 160mm adapters, if you got the 180 adapter, you could then fit it onto our Uni-Caliper Mounts for our 180 rotors. if you got avid brakes that came with 185mm adapters, you could still get the 180 adapter for the caliper to work off the UCM to our 180mm rotor.

http://www.mbaction.com/Me2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=Main+All+Modules&type=news&mod=News&mid=9A02E3B96F2A415ABC72CB5F516B4C10&tier=3&nid=C4F2BFF01A8040C9B1910AB2AB13CF50

We are currently seeking Florian Schlumpf’s approval for use of a 6mm aluminum spacer on one side with the cranks mounted at a low torque such as this illustration demonstrates. This technique has been in practice with a Schlumpf hub for over a year with no ill effects upon the hub. Several Schlumpf hub users are doing this currently.

We have 2.5mm stainless steel spacers that may be installed between the caliper adapter and the UCM to move the caliper over to the rotor. I am recommending the 6mm crank spacer, since a few cranks have made creaking sounds with the 8mm spacers under real hopping conditions. by using adapter spacers and rotor spacers, you should be able to move the caliper far enough away from the spokes on Schlumpf hub wheels to use the Mech brake. The spacers are not cheap, like $3 for two of them, but you would get more modulation and if you PM MountainUni1, he can send them with your UCM!

Jtrops made a shift lever drag brake and he may interrupt it with an in line brake lever eventually! I like how he bobbed off the cable stop on the brake and made his own out of old (70’s/80’s) road bike caliper parts bolted directly to the frame to make a smooth, stiff, elegant cable run to the caliper’s articulating arm! It’s very sexy and sleek! (Props Jtrops!) :sunglasses:

This is Brian Oley’s Coker! I replaced the original bearing cap bolts with 30mm stainless socket head M6 bolts, and nutted them with star washer nuts. I pushed the bolts up from the bottom and nutted them atop the frame. I needed no spacer between the adapter and UCM, but I did need a 1mm shim under the bearing. The 185mm adapter on the Skeletal brake was set aside and I replaced the adapter with a 180mm Shimano SM-MA f180 p/s. The cranks were square taper and everything lined right up.
I am unimpressed with the fittings that come with the skeletals as they are not compression, but just a hose fitting. the lever has a lot of adjust ability and it has oodles of modulation.

Nice! But what tire is that he is using??

it’s a coker tire, the all surface or something… its tread reads COKERCOKERCOKERCOKER all over it. it’s nice.

So that’s Nimbus, KH, and Coker (shimmed) working with the UCM! (and Schlumpf Hub Compatibility!) Yeah, that’s right! :smiley:

I think they call it “anti skid”

Nice work on designing and executing a virtually universal bearing cap caliper mount!

I think it used to be called “non-skid” but I guess they’re calling it “off-road” now.

I find it amusing that you can build a coker with your preferred tire, however tires aren’t available for direct purchase under the accessories page on the Coker site.

I find it ironic that a tire company builds bikes and unicycles but doesn’t offer the tire for sale directly. :thinking:

Exclusive distribution agreement with UDC?

Quite possibly an exclusive distribution agreement with UDC…

interesting thought there…

Yeah! It’s looking that way, at least with popular contemporary manufacturers! Thanx!