Mad4One 36” frame coming soon!

Oh, so the duty is applied before the VAT. Double ouch.

Where does the 4.9% come from though? Is there a specific duty for unicycle parts that I’m missing?

Am I right that a full unicycle is also therefore far more expensive to import than a box of parts with it seemingly being 14% duty? How disassembled does a unicycle have to be to become parts rather than a unicycle?

Sorry, my typo. 4.7, not 4.9. Tariff code: 8714911021

Unicycles it is 14% and have their own tariff code: 8712007010

If everything in the box (or even the consignment of boxes) can make up a complete unicycle… it is a unicycle. If you miss off a major component that would make it a unicycle, then it can be split down in to the parts. Most parts are 4.7%. Although there are a few that are lower. Like pedals at 4% and saddles at 3.7%.

There was an importer about 20 years ago that tried to dodge the problem by not putting the saddles in the boxes but they were on the same container. They got caught and fined retrospectively; it almost took their company down.

3 Likes

Robin, I have just realised the picture you have for your ID is the one with from the UK road race championships… ie the five10 advertising one! There is me in the background chasing you down. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ahh, cheers for the clarification. That makes importing frames and specific parts a little less painful if I need to in the future then.

It is indeed! I’ve only just had to replace those shoes too after wearing holes in the soles (the eventual fate of all of my trainers) so I’m now on Adidas branded ones (although I removed said tongue branding immediately) with far more boring coloured laces.

I can’t imagine there’ll be much of you chasing me down in the future with how little riding I’ve been doing. I’ll be watching you disappear off into the distance after the first lap or so.
Maybe I can blame the inferior trainers…

Back more on topic, is there any more information you can give us on the 100mm 36" frame in your next container? Are they going to be Nimbus branded?

1 Like

I can actually say… production is in such a mess at the moment, it is due to be on our July container, but I actually don’t know.

Yes, they are Nimbus branded with double IS mounts and 100mm wide and pre-machined for Schlumpf hubs.

For before then we do have the brakefast tab kit that will be available next week so you may be able to adapt your KH frame.

4 Likes

:cry:

I was asked by someone the other day what the second hand value of their first gen Nimbus Oracle was, and I basically said “whatever you want to ask for it”. They mentioned you told them something similar not so long ago! :grin:

It’s simultaneously a great time for unicycling, and a terrible time as nobody can actually get any of the things they want to buy!

2 Likes

How about a Nimbus Nightfox? I may be looking to weld a tab onto one of those this year.

1 Like

For anybody considering to sell some unis, it’s a great time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just one detail.
“Item cost” is without local VAT (Italian VAT is 22%)
Our Frame 36" without VAT is 212.30 EUR.
Unfortunately during 2020 all raw material increased between 20% to 50% and also transport has increased a lot
The currency exchange lever also worked to increase prices.
This frame is expensive due all this reasons
I think that all new products by all brands will be more expensive in future. :frowning: :frowning:

5 Likes

Yes, I suspect so :frowning:

Sadly even with that and correct calculation of charges for delivery + duty + vat + customs charges it’s still >£260 when it gets to the UK :frowning:
I’ll have to get saving as I think it might still be the ideal freewheel frame for me.

1 Like

I have gone ahead now and bought one (M4O 36" frame) even though it is expensive. Though due to lack of rims, it will not be used in a 36 uni any time soon.

P.S. Maybe just for fun, I will stick my 26" wheelset in there to try it once while I wait, even though that will look pretty silly and offer no real advantage. But hey… why not! :rofl:

Or go all out and stick a 20" (or even 16") wheelset in there! :crazy_face: I shall take a picture and post here if I do.

2 Likes

Yes, this should be possible.

It is worth mentioning that the next batch of Nightfox have the IS mount on them as standard.

4 Likes

This… so much this. I get a little depressed when I see how much is sold out on UDC UK. It must be a tough time for @rogeratunicycledotcom and the team. So much that could be sold but can’t be because there is no stock to sell.

2 Likes

Looking on the positive… It does mean we have a big warehouse to play in. I have been unicycling in it and juggling. I also have a couple of oversized penny farthing projects laid out on the floor at the moment.

It would be better though if we did have stock for everyone.

3 Likes

I’ve currently got a 26" freewheel in a 36" frame and it looks OK, but I’ve ridden with a guy before who used to have a 20" and 36" wheel and he’d swap them around in his 36" frame. That did look a little silly.

Sweet!
I’m looking forward to giving this older one I’ve got in the post a go.

Well I did buy some stuff from you the yesterday, so I am getting what I can. I am putting together a little pink and black 20" uni with parts I ordered from UDC :uk:, UDC :de: and URC (M4O) :it:

Ha… yeah I can imagine. But it is fun that everything is largely standard (and I include 100mm bearing pitch in that, meaning I think this is the right move for Nimbus 36").

With a bigger 36" frame you can do more on a budget. Well at least to some extent (yes not perfect for numerous reasons not just related to looks) but I suspect many could get by with one frame and switch out wheelsets. Though of course it gets more silly the more extreme you go. Also who wants to just “get by”.

On unicycle selling page on Facebook they are 36” rims for sale. Very reasonable priced.
Here’s the link

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ukunicyclesforsale/?ref=share

Just a quick note that anyone outside of the UK requesting to join that group will be declined - it’s a rule we’re pretty strict on to keep things simple for sellers. You can still obviously message people directly though if you’re really keen on having something shipped internationally.

The seller in question here has also stated UK postage only, but it’s also now here on the forums:

are you kidding me? who wouldn’t want their frame named (pause for effect) The Sonic Bang

2 Likes