Mad4One 36” frame coming soon!

Just reading the mad4one newsletter and there is something quite exciting. A 36” frame coming in late Spring 2021.

Hmm… maybe it is time to finally upgrade to a better 36”.

4 Likes

Looks great, but we don’t know the weight nor the price. It will probably be more expensive than a Qx RGB or a KH frame. And I don’t think it will be lighter. Probably more solid, though.

1 Like

And more colourful.

2 Likes

@MAD4ONE How wide is it? 100 mm or 125 mm hub?

100mm

2 Likes

Thanks @MAD4ONE. One other question. What about rims? Will you sell 36" rims? And if so, will all the colour options be available for these?

may be but you can use cheaper standard 27.2mm seat post and 31.8mm seat post clamp
global price should be cheaper I guess and shipping cost is very cheap as well (within Europe, outside I don’t know)

2 Likes

At the moment rims and other parts for 36" are not foreseen.

2 Likes

Ok, no problem. There are several options to get a wheel made up or I see that UDC DE offer prebuilt 36" Kris Holm wheelsets, which would work because of your cool twin brake mounts (just mount the disc on Spirit Cranks).

Anyway, congrats on the frame. Certainly looks interesting, especially with your fantastic range of colour options.

1 Like

Always good to see more options in the 36er space. I love the post-welding brake mount milling to ensure parallelity.

I might just have to put this on my freewheel 36er wishlist.

2 Likes

And they released this today

https://unaruota.com/ZC/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_27&products_id=1242

4 Likes

Now the only problem will be finding a 36 wheelset or even a 36 rim, short of salvaging one you already have because it seems like everyone is out of them now. Thus making it really tricky to build up a 36er from this unless you already have the other parts already.

1 Like

I don’t quite understand why they’ve given it a specific name. Maybe it sounds better in Italian.

Now the only problem will be finding a 36 wheelset or even a 36 rim

I’ve got one of those, but I don’t have the spare funds for a frame that delivered would cost me >£250 :open_mouth:

I thought KH frames were getting expensive when they edged over £100. I think they were about £95 last time I purchased one.

1 Like

On UDC UK a Nimbus (Oracle) frame is still just £85, KH is £122, and QU-AX has their RGB 36" frame listed on their own website for €185.90 (≈£159) [edited/corrected]. So yes these M4O these are certainly expensive. That said, I am ruled by my heart on these things and I am going to splash out and buy one so that I have at least one, really nice Uni. Do I need it? No. Is it excessive? Yeah! But I am fortunate to be in a position where I can afford it right now and unicycling is what I spend most of my free time doing. It is nice to have nice things, and I can get one in a “fancy” colour.

Without a rim I will not be building this up right now but I have other stuff I wanted to order from the M4O website, so I might as well get this now and save on shipping.

Technically, I could salvage the Nimbus rim from my 36 UDC Trainer/Titan but I won’t consider that just yet. I’ll see how the market pans out first.

1 Like

@ruari you missed the first digit, it is 185.90 €

1 Like

Ha! Yes I did. I was thinking that was really cheap. This makes a lot more sense!!!

(So ≈£159 for the Brits out there [and more with taxes and shipping])

So our import of unicycles (I presume including parts) is 14%, on top of VAT at 20%.

So +34% (+ an additional customs charge) is quite the downer on unicycles from outside the country now.

I’m looking forward to seeing at what cost the new Nimbus 100mm 36" frame comes in at, which will also have dual disk tabs.
(https://youtu.be/N4HSLqm4Ojs?t=446)
No doubt it’ll be a single colour for cost reasons, but having a frame blasted and re-anodised/powdercoated will probably still make it considerably cheaper than the M4O option in the UK.

1 Like

Actually, maybe it’s only 4% extra (24% total) for frames. Presuming they come under bicycle frames/forks made of aluminium.

(Parts and accessories of vehicles of headings 8711 to 8713 - UK Global Online Tariff - GOV.UK)

I presume @rogeratunicycledotcom will know if he’s around.

1 Like

Oh I missed that. It is interesting as it means that (when 36 rims arrive again) complete 36" wheelsets with 100mm bearing pitch will be more even common (e.g. UDC :de:for example sells complete wheelsets). That is good for me, as I would prefer just buy a complete wheelset and put it in the (M4O) frame.

UDC :de: were selling 36 KH wheelsets before, that could have been dropped into a M4O frame and paired with Spirit disk cranks to use with brakes but like everyone else, they are sold out now.

It is not as simple as that unfortunately. The simple calculation is actually:
((Item cost + shipping) * Duty @ 4.9%)* VAT @20% + Fee (between £5 and £30)

2 Likes