Learning to Mount a 36er

at or below certain speeds holding the T7 with both hands is pretty hard to balance, Keep one hand free for now until you get more comfortable then you should be able to work on using both hands.

Time (assuming you keep riding often!) is the main secret imo.

When your balance on the uni is refined enough it will seem a lot easier and feel more natural to put both hands on the seat bumper (or handle) and ride along when conditions suit.

Also IMO the bigger the wheel the easier it is to ride this way as there is more help from the wheel in keeping itself (side to side) upright. I really notice this swapping back and forth from my 29 to 36.

Depending on the terrain and everything else that is going on you’ll still need to use one arm sometimes to help with balance and control e.g. off road, rough terrain, bumps etc, even just as a confidence boost sometimes, or even two arms out and flapping like there’s no tomorrow if things are getting terminal :stuck_out_tongue:

I have exactly the same problem … after asking the french forum for that I am now trying to change hands (that is I usually hold with left hand, and I am now trying to switch to right hand, then I will gradually try both hands … if I survive! )

It took me a while to get comfortable using both hands on my handle, and, in time, leaning into it to take some weight off the crotch (that’s the main purpose for it). At first, just do it a bit at a time, and practice making small course adjustments to the left and right. If you can’t make small course adjustments you don’t want to b relaxing with both hands on the handles!

In the beginning I would sit up for uphills, downhills, bumpy spots, etc. Now I can ride through most anything road-wise (not MUni!) if I want to, and I only need to sit up to take a break from the low position.

So how do you steer with both hands on the handle? Same as you learned to control your unicycle in the beginning without waving your arms all around. It’s mostly in the hips, or hip-to-shoulder area. Small adjustments will keep you on course, or make the turns for you. So I can zig-zag all the curvy parts of my local bike path while in my tuck position if I want. But it took some practice to get comfortable, and later confident, in that position.

That’s really useful knowledge to pass on. I love interpreting explanations like this into personal ‘mind-games’ when practicing. That is, the fight I have within myself when I try to do what you describe and fail! Then continue to try! Ordered my 661 knee and shin pads today in the fight against negative thinking. Now you big Mother - you can’t discourage me with those pedal pins :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll have to do a video of me slaloming on my coker in the tuck position. I could make a video about learning to use the handle with both hands but it’s something you kinda just have to learn. I want to make a new coker video soon. :slight_smile:

That would be really cool…and educational :slight_smile:

Yeah, but don’t forget, to beginners - like me - videos are a rich, visual way of interpreting what is happening. ‘Interpreting’ being the operative word since, as you said, ‘you kinda just have to learn it’. Nevertheless, I will mimic anything I can see if it looks to be working. I may not know exactly what I am doing but I will encourage my body and muscle memory to learn itself. Having said that I would think a handle-holding vid would be quite difficult to actually make - so I won’t be dissapointed if I don’t see one sometime soon :smiley:

+1 on that. Especially for those of us who ride solo, all we have are those videos! And no matter how much I practice, there’s always a question about an exact pedal position or some other matter, and delving into the vids is a huge help. Please keep them coming pros! I would love to see the tuck/slalom technique from ducttape. That sounds too cool.

I’ll keep working out new ways to rig up my camera for cokering today and then On monday when I go back to school I’ll do some tuck/slalom filming and see if I can’t come up with a cool/informational coker video.

My mount has evolved some since I posted a few days ago. Now I’m doing some kind of 2-step jump mount. The wheel on the Coker is so heavy that a jump mount does not need to have both feet planted at the same time. My knee gave me problems during the past week - maybe from doing that rough static mount so often. Jumping up on one pedal and then planting the other within a quarter or half second seems to work very well for me.

Forgot to mention - I’m only 5’5’’ and I’m 50 y.o. so I need to keep things easy, to a point

After the experience of trying to static mount the 36er I kinda evolved into doing a step-jump whilst rolling myself. I think the repetitive rough static jump attempts - get up, fall back, get up, fall back… put strain on my knee and I’m off uni, but only for a week or so.

Now I place my foot on the pedal then pace backwords a few steps. Then when I roll forwards the pedal comes around just where I want it so I can jump and take advantage of the rolling momentum to get me on top of the wheel.

Wheel-aided mount

Hi monocyclism,

I have enjoyed reading about your introduction to Coker riding. I have been using an odd mount that I find less strenuous than a traditional static mount. Here is a short video that shows a few successful mounts. (They are not all successful yet.):o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VPWDRyrHoA

That’s exactly what works for me too. I think the fact that the pedal is moving allows you to put a bit more weight onto it, since you’re pressing “against” the rolling force. And your forward momentum brings you up over the top easier.

(Disgusting side note: last weekend I gave my son a 10-minute lesson in static freemounting on a 24. After which he was doing freemounts with a 30% success rate. It only took me TWO FREAKIN’ WEEKS to do the same!!!) :angry:

Thanks scott-ttocs! That’s a new one for me to try! Couldn’t quite get my head around the idea of wheel holding on a 36" so the vid has really helped. Looks a lot less strenuous and taxing on the legs :slight_smile:

Yeah…just think how good your son is going to be if he sticks at it! Maybe lets see a vid of him doing it :slight_smile:

OK everyone! Don’t let me forget! Friday is supposed to be very good weather I haven’t had a chance to film the 36’er slalom video yet and will probably forget unless you all remind me. Thanks!

Looking forward to it Ducttape! Thanks for doing it.

Some advice I normally share with people working on giraffe freemounts, but it’s applicable here as well.

Watch your breathing.

We’re likely, as we embark on a strenuous activity, to take a deep breath and then launch ourselves into the task.

This doesn’t help.
A large chestfull of held breath makes your upper body very rigid. Which is not a good thing when mounting a unicycle.

To prevent yourself from doing this, take your deep breath, start breathing it out slowly, and when you get about half-way thru the out-breath, GO!

Hmm, I feel like I gotta puke. I even missed a free mount on my 29" the other day. Of course in front of a horde of young attractive females:o

haha that always happens to me. I filmed a little bit for the coker slalom video today but can’t really figure a good angle/set-up to capture the body motion… I’ll try to get my mic working now so I can set some audio commentary with it to explain what you can’t really see.