Learning to Mount a 36er

Damn! I had my popcorn all ready and was just about to recline in the lazy boy and watch. Just kidding – take your time :smiley:

I’m going to try to get a rope and tow a friend through my “slalom” while he films to try to get a good shot. should be cool.

Ah! Don’t you hate that! I was doing pretty good on some little jumps until two people walk by…

Maybe one day I’ll get a 36er. :sunglasses:

Nice vid bud !:slight_smile:
P.S. The shipping box is huge eh !

Nice work Jeremy R! I just got one too, but with the street tire. I was wondering about the offroad option, maybe I’ll try that someday.

I just got my coker on monday and have been mounting into SIF, hopping to get my feet into place, and then tucking the seat back under and ambling off. I actually was getting it 30-40% of the time, but reading all these more sensible methods now, I have no idea how I was getting it at all! I’m gonna try to just commit to the static mount next time I practice.

I own a KH 36" for one week now and mounting wasn’t that hard for me.
Took me 2 tries to get on it at first, but then it worked just fine.
Still harder then mounting my 29" tho…

K well I’ve been practicing static mounts and I’m about 3/4 consistency now. One thing I’ve noticed that wasn’t immediately clear…don’t start on the ground with cranks at 3 and 9 o’clock (perfectly horizontal). I mount right foot on first, so I put my crank at a downward angle, sometimes up to 45 or 50 degrees down, and I’ve noticed this helps because by the time I swing up and am on the seat, the cranks are in horizontal and already moving past into the start of a pedal. Seemed to help me a lot.

Looks awesome. I kindly wish to ask You what were the problems You had while learning this kind of mounting, like did you mostly fall forward or was there particular frequent issue while learning and how did you fine tune (I will start practicing on 36 inch and 26 inch but knowing these issues might also help me to come over them quicker). And did you try with other unicycles?Can we use for 26 inch as well, 36 inch is big so maybe easy to hold,26 inch might need more bending. Thank You for sharing. :slight_smile:

I have smaller uni’s 24 and 29 but for me they required a different mounting approach. Static-mounts were ok for the 24 and 29. In a way, the smaller wheels were less daunting because, well, they were smaller. There is video of these on the same site as the 36 vids.

The vids only show rolling mounts on the 36. I found it more natural to anticipate the jump mount and the placement of the feet as the cranks rotated. I will use other mounts depending on the route but I just find the rolling mount favourable.

So, for me on the 36 the rolling mount helped as a beginner because the momentum is already active (your rolling!) The first shoe to hit the pedal contained my dominent foot, in my case the left. The next shoe, the only other one I have, was the right foot. The right foot always took control (maintained balance) and it was required to astablish coordination with the other foot!

The only reason I call my left foot dominant is because I used it first, but strangely enough it played a subsidury role in mounting. I needed my right foot to do the business of taking control of balance, albeit in coordination with the left foot. After that I could ride. However the effects of road camber have recently raised its head on this forum and indeed it has a great effect on my riding technique.

90% of my 36 riding is on road, mostly UK. I now live in France and the road-camber is opposite to the UK. So my dominant foot now has to be the opposite foot. I mount the same but I cant ride the camber the same as UK. Bacause of the slope of the camber the dominant ‘riding leg’ has now shifted to the left leg. This has resulted in having to re-teach my right leg to ‘lay-off’, and to teach my left leg to ‘take control’

1 Like

surely you can also ride cycling paths back and forth in the UK too, where the camber is one way on the way in and the other way on the way back. In Dutchyland we don’t always have cycling paths on both sides of the road and they all have some camber, but the crown is not always in the middle.

For me there is ‘road riding’ and there is ‘everything else’. My point being that roads are basically made for vehicles, cars, juggernauts, motorcycles etc. Even riding off-road I stick to well-surfaced cyclepaths and pedestrian-shared routes.

However, whilst I am ‘forced’ for safety sake to restrict my ‘footprint’ to a narrow margin on the highway, I am ‘all over the place’ on a public footpath or cycle path.

My point is/was; On road I find the margin so restrictive, because vehicles are passing relatively close. So, often I am forced into a ‘pipeline’ where I have to cope with camber that I would never have to tolerate on off-road routes.

1 Like

I’m not too fond of riding close to cars. Luckily most roads in NL have separate cycle paths. I choose my trips far away from cars and preferably peeps.