KH/Onza Hub Limitations

Hey there everybody. I was goin to buy a Koxx 1 hub but i cant find them in stock anywhere so im going to get a HK/Onza hub and cranks. I was just wondering what limitations the KH has, like how how you can jump off something before the cranks or hub break/bend?

Dom

I bent 2 of them really bad. They bend slowly over time not just on one drop. A 7 set is what really did mine in though.

Wow KcTheAcy! That sucks!

I’ve done a 7 set on my cotterless cranks and they’re still fine! It was probably a smaller set than yours though, and I’m probably lighter. (I’m quite small and skinny).

[B]DOM!

[/B]Before you go ahead and buy the KH/Onza set, I’d definately give Roger (From Unicycle.uk.com) an email and ask him when the K1 Hubs will be back in stock.
It may be next week!
He’s very nice and you never know…

ALSO

I have serious reservations about getting KH/Onza cranks now…
People seem to be breaking and bending them all over the place. Maybe it’s worth waiting till the K1 cranks are back in stock.

Your call,
AndyC

yea those cranks seem to be pretty well bent. I sent an e-mail to Roger and he said that he has no idea when tehy will have a Koxx 1 hub in stock because they
have heard nothing from Koxx. I dont know what to do.

i’m a pretty big guy and my KH cranks are fine and i’m not very nie to them, 5+ foot drops, etc etc. don’t worry too much about it. if you’re really scared get profiles, if you break those you get a free replacement.

he lives in the UK

profiles arnt easy to get i dont think

yea, if i was to get profiles it would cost loads in shipping.

Plus profiles are stupidly overrated, I don’t even know why I have one, they’re a bitch because they creak like hell no matter what, plus its impossible to remove the profile crankarms without being destructive.

Roger had a go at fixing the Profile for me, but to no real avail (thanks very much though), it still creaks like a bitch and I guess thats just how Profiles behave lol.

Koxx One for the win. Just be patient, its so worth it. :wink:

I think that the KH/Onza cranks/hub are great. hey seem really solid, the top of them are round and flat and easy to stand on. I have done 5ft drops on them and they seem like they will never break. I’m 80 pounds though…

The only problem we´ve had so far (in Santa Barbara) is with the crank arms, which bend like taffy. They get that figured out and the KH will be the best. For all their craking and other problems, Profile remains the most durable.

JL

OOOOH!!!

Controversial!

It seems like alot of people are bending those KH/onza cranks. Mine are still ok but I have sort of switched to koxx (different uni).

haha I told every one when they came out that no matter how much the hub was improved the cranks still suck. They are the same as the old onza’s and are like butter if you aren’t real real smooth.

I have 2 sets, one is a year old and the other is at least 3 years old. Niether of them creak. Proper maintenance is key. They are also very easy to remove, either with a bearing puller or with the tool profile supplies with the cranks. I have never damaged anything removing cranks.

If you are referring to the cranks I sold you (not sure) those are different and vastly stronger cranks. I’m not sure that you haven’t bought a new set though, you usually know what you’re talking about. :thinking:

You just stink at landing drops.

yes Obie i was refering ot the cranks you sold me. i forgot to mention(i thought it though) that mine are first gen KH cranks. so yeah, the new KH cranks are weak if you’re not smooth, and i’d have a agree with what obie said about profiles, if you’re not dumb they’re awesome.

Covered many times before but here goes anyhow. Service Profile cranks every three months. Takes less than one hour. Buy gear puller from auto shop (30 bucks). Remove crank arms. Use degreaser (best is a jelly with acid) on splines and inside crank arms. Wire brush clean and repeat. Soak bearings and washers in white gas. Lube everything up with axle grease and reassemble. Good to go. Once they start creaking again the rust is starting to form to do it all over again. A pain in the ass but you gotta do it.

JL

Says who?

I’ve had my pair for almost two years with no problems…and no creaking either. They come off pretty easily too.

I get them regularly maintenanced. I weigh about 139lbs, use pretty good technique, and would consider myself leaning more toward the advanced side of an intermediate/advanced trials level.

PS. There are three good crank/hub assemblies for unicycles. There’s endless debate about which is the best. So, how about they are all over-rated to some extent.

Which reminds me that only a few months ago people were saying that the KH/Onza’s were almost if not better than Profiles. And now the tide has turned and the Koxx cranks/hubs are beginning to be the favored.

That reminds me…What do the people who are sponsored say? I really haven’t heard much from them for either side of the argument. And they’re the ones that really push the equipment to its limits.

Yeah, your right about the tide turning. People opinions sway so easily…
I would love to see KH ride some Koxx-one cranks for 6 months and have Yoggi ride on KH/Onza’s for 6 months and then give us their honest opinion’s towards the other manufacturer’s brand. :open_mouth:
There’s a challange

Re: KH/Onza Hub Limitations

Wow, that would be awesome!

muzzle wrote:
> Yeah, your right about the tide turning. People opinions sway so
> easily…
> I would love to see KH ride some Koxx-one cranks for 6 months and have
> Yoggi ride on KH/Onza’s for 6 months and then give us their honest
> opinion’s towards the other manufacturer’s brand. :open_mouth:
> There’s a challange
>
>