KH/Onza Hub Limitations

Well it seems people are saying that the KH/Onza hub is strong but he cranks are weak. So are there any other cranks that can go with the KH/Onza that wont bend, or at least are not like “butter”?

I know on the older models of the KH, you can put Qu-Ax Cranks on it, as seen here.

I dont know of any cranks that will fit model that is out now, there may be some bike cranks, but usually they are too long for street rails.

The KH cranks ARE like butter. I heard some better cranks are coming though, but not before august or so. I suggest looking at the Koxx hub, or the Qu-ax hub (cheap, but extremely durable). Ofcourse, Koxx has quite a history of building good trialbikes too, and you just can’t beat experience.

All I can say is that Ryan Atkins must be bending a hell of a lot of them then!

Eh, my Profile’s are in good condition. Looks like I’ll stick with those until there is something lighter and equally as strong, or stronger out.

thats the 2004 hub dude

+1

I know, I mentioned it was on the older models that you could fit the Qu-Ax cranks on.

Cause he was asking if you could mix and match cranks for the KH hub, and the only one I know you could do it on was the older model.

if i remember correctly the KH-04 was 8 spline where as the Qu-ax is 10 spline so it is only the 8 spline qu-ax cranks that fit the kh-04 and i think these were made by accident.

i also think that i have seen someone with non kh/onza’s fitted to the kh/onza hub

A quote from KH goes something like this: “The worst thing you could do is stop dead after a drop.”

Always roll out of landings otherwise you put a lot of stress on the entire uni, but will wear out cranks and hubs particularly fast.:slight_smile:

can you justify this. i have had mine for almost a year and regulary do 4ft+ drops with no bending and im not smoth. All cranks will bend even profiles. so dont just throw statements out there like that because you have seen a few pictures online of bent kh cranks

I agree with markf. I love my Gen1 setup, no creaks, no bends and no troubles at all. I was origionally going to get profiles but i was advised that they were not nessesary for me as i was doing beginer trials(4 ft drops max). And im glad i did go with the KH setup, its alot stroonger than people think.

But Dom in answer to your question id say go with the K1 setup, after seeing what people have done to their new KH cranks id feel safer going for the K1.

i dont know why Kris holm doesnt just mahe the KH onza hub and cranks with a titanium spindle and cranks? Like you can get ti spindles for bmx bikes so y doesnt kris do this and give em lifetime waranty, they would be the toughet/lightest shit out!

It would be sooo much more expensive (the ti and the warrenty).

I SO badly agree with whoever said the KH 2004 crankset is strong. The Qu-ax cranks made for the KH hub are strong too… I rate them higher than KH Onza and Profile in terms of strength.

Also you can get other cranks for the 2004 setup… Theyre called Haro Sub-C cranks and they fit the KH hub, no nubs and theyre a bit lighter i think but just as strong!

This thread is filled with baseless, opinionated crap. Nobody can make a truly informed decision by reading most of the posts here.

If your technique sucks and you try brute moves, you will break your rig.
If you try huge drops with flat rollout, you will break your rig.
If you don’t keep up with the maintenence, you will break your rig.
If you weigh 250lbs and try brute moves, you will break your rig.

All three (four?) cranksets are “strong.” They all can be improved upon. And they all can be trashed easily by a mediocre rider with no fear.

If you break equipment, tell everyone:

1. What kind of equipment & how old
  2. What you were doing when it broke - describe the move itself in detail!
  3. Describe the failure itself in detail
  4. Provide pictures of the failure, as Kc has done
  5. Most difficult - if possible provide a video of the failure

This will provide far more information about the equipment weaknesses than “THAT CRANKSET SUX CUZ I BROKE THE SAME 1 ON A 22-SET OMGLOLWTFBBQ!” Some failures here can definately be chalked up to stupidity, and it would be nice to filter a few of them out.

Finally, nothing lasts forever. Equipment failure in extreme sports is a fact of life.

AMEN to that! you got it in one

I ride a Kh uni with 165mm cranks and I always roll out of drops if possible and mine are bend like hell.
I think I will switch to a Koxx1 hub and crankset.
The only thing whats original at my KH uni then will be the frame and spokes:p

Whoops, sorry, havn’t read this.

And yes, I can justify this. My brother has ridden on a 24" KH for roughly… 2 weeks before bending was seriously apparent. Then he got new cranks under warranty, and those bent in 2 days! He’s now waiting for the new, stronger cranks to be supplied. His Qu-Ax wheelset is still in pristine condition, even after 1.5 years of serious abuse.

To complete this: I wonder why Kris Holm doesnt make full aluminium cranks like Koxx 1?
Maybe to have light cranks but full alu cranks are light AND strong so why not give it a go Kris?