KH 2008 Uni Product Launch

Hey,

Finally- here is some news on the new KH lineup and what I have been working on for the past year. This new stuff will be available in some countries within the next 2 weeks, and within the next month in some other countries. The doublecrown frame and KH36 frame should be available at UNICON; I am not sure whether the other stuff will make it.

1. New krisholm.com website. This will be launched early next week and will contain photos of the updated products. Check it out and tell me what you think. Thank you to Carl Hoyer for doing such an awesome job!

2. New stronger hot forged bolt-on seatposts. The fixed (bolt-on) posts now have a one-piece forged plate and collar that eliminates the weld at the join between the post and the plate, where the posts previously were susceptible to breakage. The plate is variable thickness with radiused corners and thicker aluminum (7 mm) in high stress areas. Forging the post also means that it can be strong while keeping a clean design without any sharp edges or ribs to get in the way or cause finger damage. The post is standard on the KH20 and is available in 27.2 and 25.4 mm size.

3. New adjustable seatpost. The rails bracket is gone. This design is uncannily similar to John Child’s suggested design, even though I actually never saw it until after this post was made. The extrusion-forged top piece has infinite adjustability and eliminates the need for rails. It stronger, lighter, and much more compact than a bike seatpost and rails bracket. The seat tube is also now pinned to the top piece to increase resistance to twisting.

4. Stronger machine-butted seat tubes on KH frames. All KH frames now have machined seat tubes with thicker tubing sidewalls at the crown weld. This results in a big strength improvement at the crown.

5. New KH36. The frame is awesome- light and stiff and really fun to ride- some of you saw it at Ride the Lobster. The wheelset is Nimbus with a Moment crankset.

6. Seat tubes on the KH29 and KH36 are dropped through the fork crown to reduce inseam requirements and increase adjustability.

7. Fork crowns are all lowered slightly, to improve fit over the tire.

8. Improved rims. All rims now have offset spokes for increased strength. The 19" and 24" rims now have oval-pressed holes to increase the amount of metal around the spoke eyelets. The 700c rim has larger drillouts in the inside rim wall around the spoke eyelets to slightly reduce weight.

9. New Doublecrown Longneck Flat frame. This frame concept was suggested by Matt Bender and is an experiment in a new kind of frame for flat and tech street. It has two crowns. The 2nd crown allows unprecedented stability for standup tricks and allows the rider to stand on the frame in any orientation around the back. It should allow for a lot of new tricks. This is the only frame that comes standard in polished aluminum.

10. New Longneck KH20. The KH20 now comes with 2 frame options- either a 150 mm standard version or a 300 mm longneck seat tube version.

11. New Odyssey Trailmix pedals. Significantly lighter than the original JC pedals but still very strong. Unlike most pedals they have full-strength replaceable pins on the two outside pins- the ones that usually get the most abuse. A 6 mm hex can also be used to re-tighten the pedals on the cranks, eliminating the need to carry a pedal wrench on a ride (although a real pedal wrench works better if available), and the space for the pedal wrench has been widened to accept a standard shop wrench or crescent wrench.

12. KH29 unis now come with the WTB Stout tire. This tire has good sidewall stiffness and is the best all-around 29’er muni tire on the market so far.

13. KH20 now ships with two pairs of pedals- Odyssey Trailmix and Odyssey plastic Twisted pedals.

14. New Sym Cranks. These cranks were suggested by Wolfgang Hennerbichler (Wogri) and are an experiment in a new kind of tubular CrMo flat/tech street crank. The cranks extend 30 mm out the other side of the axle and allow you to have both forward and backward control while standing on only one crank. They do not 100% replace Moments for flat riding because they are not as good for crankroll tricks. However, the idea is that they will result in some good new trick innovations because they allow control in a way that is not possible with existing cranks.

15. New solid Titanium Moment hub. This hub is awesome and has both a titanium spindle and titanium flanges. It is the strongest light hub on the market. Not cheap, but awesome.

16. New Spooner brake lever extension. This brake lever extension was originally designed by Scott Wallace and fits old and new style Magura brake levers. This spoon-shaped extension makes a huge difference to how easy it is to grab your brake. After testing it for the last months I can’t imagine not using it- it would be like mounting the brake without any lever at all. The Spooner will be sold standard with Maguras purchased at UDC.

17. Improved Pulse Gloves. These were shipped separately than the other items so may not be available at the same time as the rest of the gear. Fit in the wrist is improved, and the palm padding has a better shape and extends further over the carpal area. The wrist wrap has a wider plastic splint in the back for increased wrist support.

18. KH seatpost clamps are now available in 7 colours- the same colors as the saddles: Black, Blue, Red, Green, Orange, Yellow, and Grey.

So- there you have it. All these upgrades were a lot of work and I really want to thank the team for pulling it all together. As mentioned there will be photos of all this at the new krisholm.com site next week.

Kris

Wahay

I’m impressed! Congrats, that is an awesome list!

awesome!!
when will the items be available from unicycle.com?

sweet

Oh man these updates sound pretty awesome, I can’t wait to them. I think its great that you are shipping the KH20 with the two sets of pedals, now people get the best of both worlds. I don’t think I like the sound of the new cranks though, I can’t imagine where extending the cranks backwards would really help and it just seems like its more room to get caught on stuff. I think tubular cranks without that backwards extension would be ideal/

On #9 I think you meant Matt Bunting, not Matt Bender.

Cool! it looks like you thought of flat riders a lot in these new products! long neck, double crown, sym cranks (good for static flat), Odyssey plastic Twisted, stronger seat tube (#4)… SWEET! Odyssey plastic Twisted

woooot!!! this stuff sounds way better than i expected.:smiley: can’t wait to see it all. i’m so glad i put off buying a KH! i’ll probably buy at least 2. (36 and 20) :sunglasses:

So many innovations. Amazing!

Drools on table

oh my!:slight_smile:

thanks Kris. the unicycle world wouldnt be the same without you

Wow amazing stuff, cant wait to see the pictures!

Seems like a solution for every possible criticism levelled at previous models, and some we hadn’t even thought of. I’d thought that my days of buying new unis were over but maybe I’m going to have to think about trading up.

Price check on the new hub and rim, please.

Kris, have I ever told you that I love you?

Um, no girlie seats then?

Umm anything about the 24 inch muni! :thinking:

GAH!

I finally get a new wheel and now this happens!

:slight_smile:

Kris, how did the flanges of the Ti Moment hub hold up during testing? Did they deform like the original Moment hub flanges did?

All of these new products sound AMAZING. I can’t even imagine how much work, time and effort went in to making so many new products. Can’t wait for Moab to be able to try out some of these parts.

Will weights be available for the parts when the website launches?

Someone has been busy this year. Thanks a lot Kris.

1. New adjustable seatpost. The rails bracket is gone.

About time :roll_eyes:

1. New KH36. The frame is awesome- light and stiff and really fun to ride- some of you saw it at Ride the Lobster. The wheelset is Nimbus with a Moment crankset.

Exciting!

1. Seat tubes on the KH29 and KH36 are dropped through the fork crown to reduce inseam requirements and increase adjustability.

… and when used for muni, increase the amount of accumulated dirt in the seat post.

1. New Odyssey Trailmix pedals. Significantly lighter than the original JC pedals but still very strong.

Yumm.

A 6 mm hex can also be used to re-tighten the pedals on the cranks, eliminating the need to carry a pedal wrench on a ride

Is that hole situated at the end of the pedal axle?

1. KH29 unis now come with the WTB Stout tire.

I just ordered one of these and I feel a lot more confident now when you have chosen it. :wink:

1. New solid Titanium Moment hub. This hub is awesome and has both a titanium spindle and titanium flanges. It is the strongest light hub on the market. Not cheap, but awesome.

For whom and for what type of riding is this hub designed, trials … muni?

So- there you have it.

Great work! Thank you for keeping our wallets empty :smiley: